Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    So today I broke my sixth Pre. Bought my first at launch (sprint) and have been tearing through them. This one was getting lose in the slider (oreo....) and then the power button broke so I took it to best buy where I have a black tie warranty and they are sending it in. Now I wait 2 weeks or so with my old dumbphone and it sucks. I was seriously considering getting an EVO today but since im not the primary line on a family plan I dont get yearly upgrades, so I would only get $75 off it, and that wont work. So now I sit and wait for yet another refurb Pre and hope that this time it can hold me over until CES... I love webos but man Android is looking nicer every day when I have to keep returning Pres, and waiting weeks between each one.

Also the sprint rep told me he had no knowledge of any new Palm products coming to sprint... he was aware of the HP buyout but thats all he knew about palm... we all know how much sprint reps know and all, but I had hopes he would say they were planning on getting some next year. Oh well, I guess I sit and wait...
    I guess I'm lucky,,year old sprint pre and it's still in mint condition. Also,i posted this a few times,,like I did,take it for what it's worth,i was in my local sprint store looking for a certain charger I bought there before. They did not have anymore. When I ask the manager how come,he said getting ready for next palm phone.
    I feel ya went through 7 before gettinf the eight stolen:/

On a pixi now and like it better all in all.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    id consider a pixi cause they are so cheap if only it had wifi... cant consider it without
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    So today I broke my sixth Pre. Bought my first at launch (sprint) and have been tearing through them. This one was getting lose in the slider (oreo....) and then the power button broke so I took it to best buy where I have a black tie warranty and they are sending it in. Now I wait 2 weeks or so with my old dumbphone and it sucks. I was seriously considering getting an EVO today but since im not the primary line on a family plan I dont get yearly upgrades, so I would only get $75 off it, and that wont work. So now I sit and wait for yet another refurb Pre and hope that this time it can hold me over until CES... I love webos but man Android is looking nicer every day when I have to keep returning Pres, and waiting weeks between each one.

Also the sprint rep told me he had no knowledge of any new Palm products coming to sprint... he was aware of the HP buyout but thats all he knew about palm... we all know how much sprint reps know and all, but I had hopes he would say they were planning on getting some next year. Oh well, I guess I sit and wait...
    Couple of comments.
    Firstly, sorry to hear about your luck with the Pre...personally I went through an average of one a month [I had it for a full year] and have NEVER gone through more than two replacements when having a phone [keeping in mind that I've never had a phone for less than 2 years]

Second, just because you're not the primary line doesn't mean you can't switch the numbers around every couple of months. That's what we do. It takes two billing cycles to switch but the way we have it set up every one of the four lines gets an upgrade every year. [This is not abuse of the system I have spoke to several Sprint reps about it and Sprint has no issue with it]

Finally, I'm pretty sure that the black tie replacement results in a brand new phone not a refurbishment, that was my understanding anyway.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Couple of comments.
    Finally, I'm pretty sure that the black tie replacement results in a brand new phone not a refurbishment, that was my understanding anyway.
    I thought so too, but Best Buy employees are either really uninformed or just lie because they dont care.... all my replacements have been refurbs...

Thanks for the info regarding the family plan, I might look into that tomorrow... an EVO now and the new Palm stuff next fall would be nice.
    I thought so too, but Best Buy employees are either really uninformed or just lie because they dont care.... all my replacements have been refurbs...
    I'm going to check into that because if this is true then I'm cancelling this.

Thanks for the info regarding the family plan, I might look into that tomorrow... an EVO now and the new Palm stuff next fall would be nice.
    Yeah, well that is if the new Palm phone next year is anything worth getting.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I'm on my 2nd Pre in 1 1/2 years. But I had dropped my first one and wiped out the power button and mute switch so wasn't the phones fault. Wife has a Pre also and both our phones are working great. Several at my work have had Pre's for a year without problems.

I do know a few who had Evo's and Epic's and hate them for numerous reasons.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I will admit that I am harder on my phones than most people. That is why I have both the BB warranty and sprint warranty, I pretty much KNOW im going to break things. But some of these problems (power buttons on 3 pres) were not my fault. All day yesterday I considered dropping some serious cash to get the EVO, then just decided to be patient (I hate android, but damn it has some good apps).... Maybe ill get lucky and somehow this will be the most solid pre ever and will last me until after CES...
    Perhaps you should invest in a good hard case this time, since you are hard on phones. May help.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    [This is not abuse of the system I have spoke to several Sprint reps about it and Sprint has no issue with it]
    I would love to hear how you go about this and how you got an "okey dokey" from Sprint on this. When I added a new line of service for my daughter a while ago, they inadvertently made her line the primary line. It took three levels of "supervisors" to get them to switch it back to my line. I was told by the last "if you attempt to move this to another line it will be considered fraud and could result in termination of your contract".

I know that we always hear different things from different reps, but I can't see how Sprint would think this is ok. I would love to hear differently tho!

another reason to NEVER buy warranties from big box retailers.

the only solution that makes sense I'd the Assurion coverage from the carrier, because they have stock for years after the phone is discontinued, and because they will cross ship the replacement to you. That means you don't lose use of your phone for several weeks while they 'repair' your phone.

now, since best buy doesn't have any refurbs available (i believe this to be true) you might let them swap you for the most popular phone thet have. Then sell it and you will have enough to get two used Pre devices.

a apin in the neck, but the net result would be ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I would love to hear how you go about this and how you got an "okey dokey" from Sprint on this. When I added a new line of service for my daughter a while ago, they inadvertently made her line the primary line. It took three levels of "supervisors" to get them to switch it back to my line. I was told by the last "if you attempt to move this to another line it will be considered fraud and could result in termination of your contract".

I know that we always hear different things from different reps, but I can't see how Sprint would think this is ok. I would love to hear differently tho!

That's really crazy to hear. I've never had an issue.

I call up, ask them to change the primary line to whichever number and they do it without question.

I've also had conversations with a few of them who say they do it all the time and there's no issue ever expressed by any of them.

It utterly amazes me the variety of customer support people report from Sprint.
    I've heard some horrible stores [I'm not calling you a liar in this I just find it amazing what some people claim]. Although I have had some issues on my bill, I have NEVER had ANY issue getting those issues solved in a quick manner.

In fact, several times I have been credited money on my account simply due to the fact that I had an issue with the bill.

I just think the biggest thing is to be firm when calling a place. You don't want to be rude [I never am to a rep] as it's not their fault [in 99% of cases you never speak to the same rep so how can you fault them?] but still be firm. If they made a mistake or there's a charge that wasn't explained it's your right to get that refunded. Thus you should go into every situation knowing that your outcome will come.

But again, never had any issue. They even know what I'm doing, although I don't come outright with it each time. "It will take up to 2 billing cycles to change this so any upgrade availability will take that long".
    Cool I will have to give it a try!!