1.    #1  
    Hi Guys:

I just bought an unlocked palm pre plus off ebay with AT&T branding, I am trying to use this phone with Three Australia however it never switches to 3G mode, its always in Edge or 2G. Three Australia charges extra for using data in 2G mode.

Am I missing some carrier settings or this phone will not work on 3G with Three AUSTRALIA?

Cheers!
    It will only work 3G on Telstra's network, due frequency used.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It will only work 3G on Telstra's network, due frequency used.
    What he said :-) But here is a quote from the sticky at the top of this forum

"In a nutshell, if you purchase a European GSM Palm Pre/Pixi/Plus, it will only be capable of 2G EDGE data connecitivity in North America. Conversely, if you purchase a North American GSM Palm Pre/Pixi/Plus, it will only be capable of 2G EDGE data connectivity in Europe (Exception is Telstra Australia)."
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Hutchison 3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 Australia uses 2100, so you actually needed the O2 one.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I would suggest, that whilst Telstra used to gouge us on pricing, nowadays, they are way more competitive? It "might" be worth having a look at them again. I know a lot of people who have Vodafone phones, and Telstra iPads, and are just gobsmacked at the difference in coverage and speed. But I also know most Aussies have a philosophical objection to Telstra LOL
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I would suggest, that whilst Telstra used to gouge us on pricing, nowadays, they are way more competitive? It "might" be worth having a look at them again. I know a lot of people who have Vodafone phones, and Telstra iPads, and are just gobsmacked at the difference in coverage and speed. But I also know most Aussies have a philosophical objection to Telstra LOL
    Yes. I've noticed that their advertised plans etc do seem to sound a whole lot more competetive these days. With my prejudiced point of view I'd still be looking for the 'catch' though. Definitely can't beat their coverage though.
    you've got the phone now, might as well give them a go...
    I think they still have their double data plans on....
    I got $750 of calls and stuff as well as 3gb data for $65 (bundled). Now I can actually have a use for mobile hotspot! Plus I got a free iphone to ebay....
  8.    #8  
    Thanks! Since I've already have an ongoing contract with Three Australia I can't switch to Telstra - NextG. Moreover, this phone is now up for sale on eBay. Cheers!
    Yeah, I myself have done extensive research on what GSM frequency's AUstralia registers on, and just when I thought I was going to buy a Pre Plus and live with 2G, (The Pre Plus costs $215 on AT&T) someone put on an unlocked Pre GSM from O2 for $180! I now eagerly await for it to come! I do believe Telstra is the exception due to it being able to also run on the 850MHz band?
    I have an AT&T Palm Pre Plus (850/2100) running on Vodafone (900/2100), in the city (Melbourne) I switch it to 3G (using Quick System Tasks app) as I get perfect reception but anywhere else I use 2G only, it normally roams on EDGE which means I get bearable data speeds while also conserving battery life. Normally I am within an area which has wi-fi so I use that quite often and haven't found myself wishing for better 3G coverage too often.