1.    #1  
    Ok the situation is this. I bought my Pre when it came out, after a few buggy months, I got a replacement.

Now the replacement is chock full of bugs as well, and really unuseable! My experiences with o2 have been less than fun, so I have very little respect for them.

I have a ton of sms messages that are related to work. Apparently I can't back them up ....... but I can if I do Homebrew.

I'm a complete newb on this, so my question is: can I Homebrew, use a utility to backup my sms, and then completely remove any evidence of the Homebrew. My worry is that o2 will say "Our engineer has determined that you have homebrewed your Pre so your warranty is now invalid".

Also, once I have backed up my messages, can I read them off my PC or can they only be read on the Pre. I only ask because quite possibly I will be ridding myself of a Pre if this shambles carries on!
    once you have done your magic, doctor the phone and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosos View Post
    Ok the situation is this. I bought my Pre when it came out, after a few buggy months, I got a replacement.

Now the replacement is chock full of bugs as well, and really unuseable! My experiences with o2 have been less than fun, so I have very little respect for them.

I have a ton of sms messages that are related to work. Apparently I can't back them up ....... but I can if I do Homebrew.

I'm a complete newb on this, so my question is: can I Homebrew, use a utility to backup my sms, and then completely remove any evidence of the Homebrew. My worry is that o2 will say "Our engineer has determined that you have homebrewed your Pre so your warranty is now invalid".

Also, once I have backed up my messages, can I read them off my PC or can they only be read on the Pre. I only ask because quite possibly I will be ridding myself of a Pre if this shambles carries on!
    Homebrew doesn't void your warranty! But you should still doctor before ever sending your device into stupid o2!

Anyway, you can you make a copy of your sms and will be able to view them as an html file (pc or phone). Restoring your sms to a new phone is far too risky of a procedure.

Simple steps:
    Install preware
    Back sms
    Copy the saverestore folder off the pre to computer
    Html file of your sms is in the saverestore folder

You can also use save/restore to back up other app date and then restore them after you get your new device.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by sosos View Post

By the sounds of it you dont actually need o2 to see your phone at all. Just doctor it and all will be back to factory settings. This is the same as what they would do anyways.
    On/Off topic question related to this: Overclocking can void your warranty, but if you remove it, there is little they can do to tell it's overclocked? I'm wondering this because I'm also sending my unit into Palm in the next few days for the dreaded headphone jack.