Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    About 3 months ago I cracked my iphone screen, and instead of repairing/replacing it that I was going to go back to Verizon. I had long been curious about the Pre and it wouldn't cost me anything (I had a dormant family plan line that was due for an upgrade). So I took the plunge... I have to say, even now I vastly prefer the Pre to the iphone (I had a 3g so I couldn't multitask even with iOS4). My job at the time had me working from home most of the time, so one of the pre's major flaws didn't really didn't impact me since I was only away from the charger for a few hours at a time.

I just started a new job this week, and it is a completely different situation. I can't charge the unit at all during the day, and there is no wifi. The phone basically sits in my desk except for breaks and lunches. Being concerned about the battery, I made a few changes.

- Eliminated my pop account (I had moved basically everything over to gmail anyways so it wasn't a major loss. The gmail account is set to push and it's the only PIM type of account i have)
    - Set uber kernel to palm default (now in theory this shouldnt make a difference since I barely use the phone, but i wanted to conserve it even on breaks when I check email and FB)
    - Turned off the weather wallpaper app that I had been using

I am not using any messaging programs, and I turned google location services off.. I left my house today at 7am and when 2pm rolled around my battery was already sub 60%.. The phone was set on silent (not vibrate), and if I used it for a grand total of 15 minutes i would be shocked (zero phone calls).

Battery Dr. has my battery at 98% health.. and I am currently running the calibration tool..

Am I wrong to think that these type of results are unacceptable? I have seen reference to improved battery life in 2.0, does anyone have any information more specific than that? Are there any other things I can do get better battery performance without further trimming down the phones usefullness?
    "I can't charge the unit at all during the day, and there is no wifi."

You have not plugs in your office? USB port on your office computer?

have you read the thread about improving battery life?
    You don't mention what kind of signal you get. If it isn't a strong sprint signal it may be switching back and forth from roaming. If that is the case install the roam only partch and it will keep your pre from constantly searching for a sprint signal.

EDIT: Doh!! Just re-read it's VZW. Sorry.

also, if is just sitting on a desk, are there no power outlets? Or a usb port on computer?
    I have a 2nd battery (in my purse) and husband carries a 2nd battery in his pocket.

I also have a USB charger I keep at work along with a wall charger.

I also have a car charger in the car.
  5.    #5  
    It's a verizon phone and the signal seems to be very good... at least 3 bars 3G... It's a call center so its a fairly strict environment regarding cell phone use.. While I might be able to get away with it, it's probably not a good idea
    Well then turn it off while you are at work. Why have it on if you can't use it anyway.

I have had friend in a call center and they had plugs they could use in their cubbie.
  7.    #7  
    In a way you are sort of making my point... I don't want to carry around extra batteries... or worry about turning my radio off every time I come back from a break.. If I were some power user that spend the day on the phone with multiple email accounts pulling all day and heavy usage I would understand and maybe be willing to make those sort of concessions.. The fact is that I am not.. with my usage there is NO reason a phone in 2010 should not be able to make it through the day...
    check to make sure facebook notifications are off, same with any other notification apps (twitter?)

if you are really NOT using your phone at all, shut off data and restart it when needed.

there is a patch that can add the 3g data toggle to the menu, otherwise open up the phone app, go to preferences, and shut off data.

you can also purchase an extended battery.
    I don't know how true it is but I have been told there are times where the Battery Dr. says it is a good battery and it really isn't.

My battery when not plugged in and I do about 5000 texts a month and am on facebook constantly and some days it goes quickly and others it lasts forever.
    I don't know how well this works and from what I understand you have to use a special back plate so you couldn't use a touchstone, but here is an external battery that is in the form of a clip holster.

Buy.com - Sprint Palm Pre Naztech 2400mAh Extended External Battery Holster Case with LED

BTW, I don't necessarily recommend Buy.com, it was just the first link Google pulled up. Just google "Palm Pre External Battery Holster".
    People mention shutting off your phone, that works but here's a different way to conserve:

toggle phone radio off
    toggle data off
    toggle gps off
    turn off your screen

do all 4 of those and you will see minimal battery drain

you may need to download a patch "Device Menu Megamix" or something similar, there are several to choose from. As well as data toggle found in applications in Preware.
    In case you don't want to lose data completely (like I do) you should switch to 2G only unless you need it (top-bar patch recommended)- doubles my battery life and easily gets me through a day (and I still receive my emails).
    I think the OP's point is they don't want to have to do anything special to get a battery to last throughtout the day.

But seriously, OP, I don't think your battery drain is out of the "normal" range. So, without any extra steps on your part will most likely have to live with it.
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I think the OP's point is they don't want to have to do anything special to get a battery to last throughtout the day.

But seriously, OP, I don't think your battery drain is out of the "normal" range. So, without any extra steps on your part will most likely have to live with it.

Pretty close to what I am driving at here... Like I mentioned in my original post, I turned off almost everything that should drain the battery (I will turn off FB notifications and see if that helps).. I get MAYBE 10 emails on that gmail account throughout the day... It's just depressing to get that poor of battery life when you essentially arent even using anything..

I know for a fact that if I used my iphone in this matter it would easily last probably 2-3 days, a friend has a Samsung Fascinate and since froyo he would estimate that would sound about right for him too... I would never go back to ATT, and I can't stand Android so I guess I am going to just deal with it... but it just seems kinda silly

Also, the battery is almost done being calibrated.. I will take it off the charger when it's done and see if that helps at all.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I can get a full day easily while at work just by turning off data.
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    check to make sure facebook notifications are off, same with any other notification apps (twitter?)

if you are really NOT using your phone at all, shut off data and restart it when needed.

there is a patch that can add the 3g data toggle to the menu, otherwise open up the phone app, go to preferences, and shut off data.

you can also purchase an extended battery.
    Ok so I have a whole page of posts telling me that my expectations are just unrealistic... so that being said..Do you know the name of this patch... I would like to try it out
    I told you the patch in my previous post check the quote marks

sorry but I've just learned to deal with battery life... I also have animated launcher patch, animated top bar patch and both of those are pretty heavy on the battery, plus I almost always have my Music Player (Remix) 2.0 running all day at work in my truck....if you don't have that music player....highly recommended.... and with all that, my phone's plugged in pretty much whenever/wherever I can. I usually bring my charger if I go over to friends houses too. Kinda wish it was better, but it isn't so that's how I deal with it. Other alternative is buying a bigger battery, but I'm just not rich enough at the moment
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/15/2010 at 06:39 PM.
    The answer you are looking for is the one that has been mentioned. Simply turn the 3G radio off and your battery drain will meet your expectations.

See which one of the menu-mix patches works for you, although I recommend the Device Menu Ultramix

or alternatively Data in Device Menu.
    Last edited by foosball; 10/15/2010 at 06:44 PM.
    maybe i'll try that one out ...there's so many of them now hard to tell which 1 is better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast