Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I understand where you are coming from, but there are not many smartphones out there that do all the good stuff that the pre does and has great battery life. So you should pretty much try to do a bit to help the situation,like a spare battery or a charger at work.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I told you the patch in my previous post check the quote marks

sorry but I've just learned to deal with battery life... I also have animated launcher patch, animated top bar patch and both of those are pretty heavy on the battery, plus I almost always have my Music Player (Remix) 2.0 running all day at work in my truck....if you don't have that music player....highly recommended.... and with all that, my phone's plugged in pretty much whenever/wherever I can. I usually bring my charger if I go over to friends houses too. Kinda wish it was better, but it isn't so that's how I deal with it. Other alternative is buying a bigger battery, but I'm just not rich enough at the moment
    I still swear I'm not wrong!!!!! I was in a similar position to you previous to very recently and could keep it charged almost all the time...A few more compromises are better than spending 600 bucks on a droid 2 or x is the way I have to look at it i guess
    i used to have the worst battery life ever. seriously, it would usually be off the charger at 8:45, and down to 30% before noon. obviously it wasn't just sitting there, but that's still quick.

now i have a 1300 battery, and use govnah with the screenstate settings at 250/800, and the voltage turned down a bit across the board. as it uses so little power at idle, and less than usual when active as well, i can easily get through 12+ hours of light usage. which for me is probably considered pretty heavy to most.

the idle drain is the big helper. i'll put it down at 90%, and if i actually work for two hours instead of mess around with my phone, it'll only be down to 88% or so. it's a whole new world compared to the way things were before.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    I don't know how true it is but I have been told there are times where the Battery Dr. says it is a good battery and it really isn't.
    It depends what you are talking about. If you know how Dr. Battery works, it just reads the fuel gauge IC in the battery itself. The battery may be reporting incorrect information, that's why there is a calibration option in Dr. Battery, so you can re-calibrate the battery in order to get its "true health." Also note that the battery does all the work during the calibration phase, Dr. Battery is just an interface that assists with that.

People use Dr. Battery to check the health on a year old battery and think that the initial reading of 98% means their battery is still in great condition. They don't realize there is more to it than that. They need to take the extra step to re-calibrate it to get its "true health" instead of just accepting the initial reading.

An example of a battery that needs calibrated is one that does the sudden "death drop" where it reaches a certain percentage (example: 20%) and then immediately drops to 0%.

For more info, see the Dr. Battery thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sleblanc1976 View Post
    It's a verizon phone and the signal seems to be very good... at least 3 bars 3G... It's a call center so its a fairly strict environment regarding cell phone use.. While I might be able to get away with it, it's probably not a good idea
    As mentioned before, if you can't get away with charging your phone at work, that must mean that you can't really use it much. Turn it off, problem solved!
    I still swear I'm not wrong!!!!! I was in a similar position to you previous to very recently and could keep it charged almost all the time...A few more compromises are better than spending 600 bucks on a droid 2 or x is the way I have to look at it i guess
    you can get a new phone if you really want one, it just depends on how much you complain to customer care, plus a phones standby time is not advertised to be a half a day, you aren't being unrealistic. but if you don't feel like complaining to customer care then I guess you're better of get a new battery.

or maybe try a doctor and a clean setup for a day too see how that goes.

remember misery likes company
    The battery life was one of the main reasons i left the pre plus and went to a droid x. Moderate to heavy use, the battery will last close to 24 hours. Light to moderate use will last close to 48 hours. Plus, I can also get free mobile hot spot without rooting. In addition, gps works flawlessly.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    People mention shutting off your phone, that works but here's a different way to conserve:

toggle phone radio off
    toggle data off
    toggle gps off
    turn off your screen

do all 4 of those and you will see minimal battery drain

you may need to download a patch "Device Menu Megamix" or something similar, there are several to choose from. As well as data toggle found in applications in Preware.
    Is this a joke? who wants a phone where they have to turn off the phone radio all day? I was under the impression that updates to WebOs had solved the horrible battery life. My day to day phone is a cheapo bottom of the range motorola dext (cliq in the US) and I use it for calls all day, it does email and I might do some internet and it lasts until I get home.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is this a joke? who wants a phone where they have to turn off the phone radio all day? I was under the impression that updates to WebOs had solved the horrible battery life. My day to day phone is a cheapo bottom of the range motorola dext (cliq in the US) and I use it for calls all day, it does email and I might do some internet and it lasts until I get home.
    The battery life is really user dependent, and seems to vary by a wide margin. I seem to not only get far better battery life than most users around here, but also get great battery standby time, less than 1% drain an hour when idle. After buying the mugen 1400mah bat, my pre seems to get at least a bit better battery life than my buds evo. I use my phone off and on all day at work(mp3s,web browsing,text,phone,games,email..ect,ect) and still walk out with 20~40% battery left, my buds evo on the other hand is in need of a charge around six hours in and he doesn't use it nearly as much as I use my pre. His 4G is off, flash is inactive, he may jump on facebook for about 20min, send a few texts, check email and make a couple 2min tango calls. That seems to be pretty weak, but that's only after 2 weeks of ownership. I'm sure he needs to learn how to optimize androids background tasks along with some other bat saving tricks.

So in comparing close to the same size batteries the pre has an edge over the evo, comparing stock 1150 pre to 1500 evo, it would look to be a pretty close one, at least from what I've seen sofar.

WebOS 2.0 should improve overall battery life by at least 5%, perhaps a bit more, but it still matters how the device is setup, to maximize battery life.

P.S I not trying to make this into a evo vs pre thread, it's just the only real world comparison I have.
    Last edited by bdog421; 10/16/2010 at 06:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I'm now using the uber-kernal and govnah patch and running an 800/250 screen-state set-up with my voltages at 50mv higher than the minimum posted values that are listed in the set-up threads. I found i was still getting some occasional restarts at 37.5 mv higher than minimum.

I've also used Dr. Battery to find that my stock battery is at 74% health so i'm at particular disadvantage and if i have good signal and light to very light usage, i'm finding my battery will last 24-28 hours. I'm pretty religious about clicking off the screen as soon as i'm done using it. i do have a mugen1400 on order... that should do the trick to keep me happy with battery life.

I should qualify it that i have a patch installed on my phone to put it into Airplane Mode from 3:30am to 6:30am. I keep wifi off, mobile hotspot off, but i keep gps on with GPS fix which pings it to keep it alive, but google location services off.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    People mention shutting off your phone, that works but here's a different way to conserve:

toggle phone radio off
    toggle data off
    toggle gps off
    turn off your screen

do all 4 of those and you will see minimal battery drain

you may need to download a patch "Device Menu Megamix" or something similar, there are several to choose from. As well as data toggle found in applications in Preware.
    Just use airplane mode, much simpler and does the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    It depends what you are talking about. If you know how Dr. Battery works, it just reads the fuel gauge IC in the battery itself. The battery may be reporting incorrect information, that's why there is a calibration option in Dr. Battery, so you can re-calibrate the battery in order to get its "true health." Also note that the battery does all the work during the calibration phase, Dr. Battery is just an interface that assists with that.

People use Dr. Battery to check the health on a year old battery and think that the initial reading of 98% means their battery is still in great condition. They don't realize there is more to it than that. They need to take the extra step to re-calibrate it to get its "true health" instead of just accepting the initial reading.

An example of a battery that needs calibrated is one that does the sudden "death drop" where it reaches a certain percentage (example: 20%) and then immediately drops to 0%.

For more info, see the Dr. Battery thread.

As mentioned before, if you can't get away with charging your phone at work, that must mean that you can't really use it much. Turn it off, problem solved!
    trekker, I thought the "calibrate" function just recalibrates the battery so the percent remaining is more accurate based on the health of the battery.

I too was having the "death drop" from around 20%. I did the calibration and no more death drop, but I also get no more battery life. It takes just as long now to go from 100 - 0% as it used to to go 100 - 20%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    trekker, I thought the "calibrate" function just recalibrates the battery so the percent remaining is more accurate based on the health of the battery.
    Yes, that's exactly what it does. Calibration won't improve battery life, it will just report it more accurately.

If you use Dr. Battery to check the initial health of the battery, it may not be accurate, especially if you've used the battery awhile.

I had a 10 month old Mugen 1400, I think the health initially read 98% but I got the "death drop" at around 20%, something I didn't notice before because I never let it get that low.

After calibrating the battery, I no longer got the 20% "death drop" but now the health only read 78%, which is more accurate.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My personal experience with this is to set uber kernal to 500/250, with those settings you should see a huge boost esp if you phone is just sitting all day.

Even 800/250 would be ok, it's what I was using and it lasted from 8AM till around 10PM
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    +1

I also thought that the OS updates, along the with the Pre+, had taken care of it.

I can't believe the replies saying that it's unreasonable to expect longer batter life than a few hours, and the advice to turn all radios off; what's the point of having a smartphone if you can't even use it like a feature phone for more than a few hours before it dies on you?

The worst phone I've had regarding battery was the Touch enhanced, which would last me about 1h 50min while talking over a BT headset, GSM. I thought that was bad (it *was* bad), but what the OP describes is much worse.
    Last edited by hduty; 10/17/2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Check your settings on the gmail. Change it to only check for email every couple hours vs push. That will suck up a lot of battery having constantly keep a data connection open to google waiting for emails.
    Get the "set minimum brightness to 5" patch, and put your brightness all the way down. Helps ALOT. Also, get the "data toggle in device menu" patch. It helps ALOT by turning if off when you aren't using it. Turning on/off only takes a few seconds, so its no pain at all. But its only good if you don't have things that you need to notify you such as new emails or facebook etc.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty View Post
    I can't believe the replies saying that it's unreasonable to expect longer batter life than a few hours, and the advice to turn all radios off; what's the point of having a smartphone if you can't even use it like a feature phone for more than a few hours before it dies on you?
    The OP mentions about 40% drain in 7 over a 7 hour period. This is not a battery life of a few hours. It seems realistically he should be able to get 15-16 hours at that rate. That is much better than I get on my phone on a day to day basis by reading the OP I get much more time to actually use my phone.

I would also sugest toggling off evdo to 1Xrtt. it can be done without a patch by dialing ##evdo# (##3836#) and manualy setting the mode.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I have my phone patched. I turn off DATA & WIFI, unless I need to check something online, but when finished, I turn it off. With just these 2 things turned off, I get 2 full days of use on my Sprint Pre. I overclock with Govnah, talk on phone, text & roam every 3rd day (because of job) and normally have between 20-30% battery left at end of second day.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12