Interesting find...thanks. This lines up well with the way events have been unfolding.
    ...sprint gets it too. Frankly, it's the only one that 'needs' it....the pre+ overclocked should take webos 2.0 just fine....

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Why IS the Pre 2 going to Verizon first?! They totally mistreated and abandoned the Pre Plus in very short order after getting it. All I hear about is how they kept steering people towards Android.

On the flip side, Sprint has been a devoted supporter and promoted of Palm for YEARS. And the best they've ever gotten from Palm is 6 months of exclusivity before Palmed *****d (excuse me) their phones out to everyone. This time, they went all out on a publicized release. They made it their flagship device. They suffered customer abuse for Palm's extremely limited production runs. But, when their 6 month exclusivity was up, how are they repaid? Not only does Verizon get the Pre, but they are given the next generation in the Pre Plus, giving them leverage over Sprint with new customers seeking the product. Next, they give the Pre and Pixi Pluses to AT&T. The company that really doesn't need another smartphone. But, they give both Verizon and AT&T (and everyone else who has acquired the Pre/Pixi Plus series, exclusivity over Sprint, who has to deal with selling remaining original Pre/Pixi stock. They couldn't go anywhere else with the product because the Pre was no longer being made, and they weren't allowed to have the Plus series.

Sprint truly has the best, fastest, best priced data network, yet some of the best SmartPhones of the past and present have run exclusively on OTHER networks. Now Verizon, the company that completely dropped the torch they were passed, gets the Pre 2? Frankyly, it's just insulting, and, if history repeats itself as it tends to, the Verizon sales people will overlook the Palm 2 as they did the Pre/Pixi Plus series, and it too will dwindle and die.

It's no wonder Sprint has switched all their attention to their 4G network with the EVO and Galaxy S (Epic), and their economy priced 3G Android phones. If Palm had just given them the Pre and Pixi Plus, it would at least be on their test racks, rather than empty hooks and wire. At this point, I'm not sure they even care if they ever see another Palm device. It may be the better OS, but it's hardly a cash cow, like Android.

I was there on opening day. I have endured 9 failed phones since June of 2009, because I love WebOS more than any other OS, and believe that Palm's form factor (if not build quality) is king. But, if the Pre 2 doesn't show up in Sprint stores first, or at the very least, VERY close to the time it arrives in Verizon stores, I (no... ALL Sprint Palm users) will know that HP/Palm doesn't care about it's early adopters. If and when that happens, I will no longer be a Palm customer, and I will be gone for good.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/16/2010 at 08:10 AM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    @pelikan,

give it time, just because it's releasing on vzw doesn't mean it isn't coming to sprint also.

and if it isn't, did you ever stop to think that maybe SPRINT may be choosing to bypass the pre 2? And did the same with the pre plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    no sprint does not get the pre2.
    i think you are mistaken...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    @pelikan,

give it time, just because it's releasing on vzw doesn't mean it isn't coming to sprint also.

and if it isn't, did you ever stop to think that maybe SPRINT may be choosing to bypass the pre 2? And did the same with the pre plus?
    Perhaps not. But, the average "stop over" by a phone with a first provider, before moving on to others, is 6 months. So, if Verizon gets it first, for me, it's the same thing as Sprint never getting it. Another 6 months, beyond opening day at Verizon, and I will be on to something else. I almost don't care what, because NOW it's a matter of principal.

And, no, Sprint choosing to by-pass the Pre Plus or the Pre 2 was not, and is not a consideration. First, Sprint has a YEARS-long commitment to Palm, starting way back in 2000/2001. Second, they invested WAY to much in the Pre, and made it their flagship until it sailed without them in the form of the Plus series. Sprint was supposed to be the launch partner. The company people associated with the Pre. But, instead, they were turned into the Beta Tester.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Isn't it up to sprint what devices they offer??? Did hp/palm tell sprint t take a hike, you're getting any new palm devices period? Or did sprint pass on the pre+ and pre 2? How is that big red's fault??

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    As far as I know, it's not official that Pre 2 is not coming to Sprint, just as it's not official that Verizon is getting Pre 2. All we know is simple -- it's real, and we saw a picture of it. THAT could have even been fake. So don't freak, at least not yet. HP has made no announcement. I doubt it's coming in Oct, though, I would say Nov-Dec release (assuming its coming at all).
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Why IS the Pre 2 going to Verizon first?! They totally mistreated and abandoned the Pre Plus in very short order after getting it. All I hear about is how they kept steering people towards Android.

On the flip side, Sprint has been a devoted supporter and promoted of Palm for YEARS. And the best they've ever gotten from Palm is 6 months of exclusivity before Palmed *****d (excuse me) their phones out to everyone. This time, they went all out on a publicized release. They made it their flagship device. They suffered customer abuse for Palm's extremely limited production runs. But, when their 6 month exclusivity was up, how are they repaid? Not only does Verizon get the Pre, but they are given the next generation in the Pre Plus, giving them leverage over Sprint with new customers seeking the product. Next, they give the Pre and Pixi Pluses to AT&T. The company that really doesn't need another smartphone. But, they give both Verizon and AT&T (and everyone else who has acquired the Pre/Pixi Plus series, exclusivity over Sprint, who has to deal with selling remaining original Pre/Pixi stock. They couldn't go anywhere else with the product because the Pre was no longer being made, and they weren't allowed to have the Plus series.

Sprint truly has the best, fastest, best priced data network, yet some of the best SmartPhones of the past and present have run exclusively on OTHER networks. Now Verizon, the company that completely dropped the torch they were passed, gets the Pre 2? Frankyly, it's just insulting, and, if history repeats itself as it tends to, the Verizon sales people will overlook the Palm 2 as they did the Pre/Pixi Plus series, and it too will dwindle and die.

It's no wonder Sprint has switched all their attention to their 4G network with the EVO and Galaxy S (Epic), and their economy priced 3G Android phones. If Palm had just given them the Pre and Pixi Plus, it would at least be on their test racks, rather than empty hooks and wire. At this point, I'm not sure they even care if they ever see another Palm device. It may be the better OS, but it's hardly a cash cow, like Android.

I was there on opening day. I have endured 9 failed phones since June of 2009, because I love WebOS more than any other OS, and believe that Palm's form factor (if not build quality) is king. But, if the Pre 2 doesn't show up in Sprint stores first, or at the very least, VERY close to the time it arrives in Verizon stores, I (no... ALL Sprint Palm users) will know that HP/Palm doesn't care about it's early adopters. If and when that happens, I will no longer be a Palm customer, and I will be gone for good.

Thanks for reading.

You are assuming this is a HPalm decision.. I remember reading not long ago a lot of rumors that Sprint was really unhappy with the bath they took on the Pre and were going to be hesitant to get involved with another device.. Who knows though, at this point it's all rumor..
    Quote Originally Posted by sleblanc1976 View Post
    You are assuming this is a HPalm decision.. I remember reading not long ago a lot of rumors that Sprint was really unhappy with the bath they took on the Pre and were going to be hesitant to get involved with another device.. Who knows though, at this point it's all rumor..
    From what I am reading around the web (tech news, NOT blogs), the Pre 2 coming to the Verizon is a sure thing. Hope for the best.
    Here's hoping we can transfer sprint radio into verizond pre2 :}

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    From what I am reading around the web (tech news, NOT blogs), the Pre 2 coming to the Verizon is a sure thing. Hope for the best.
    It very well may be, my only point really was that Sprint may not want it
    Both Bestbuy's in Waldorf, MD and Lexington Park, MD are no longer carrying the Palm Pre+ anymore as well. Just an FYI for those in these areas.

P.S I grabbed the last plus last night
    Palm Pre Plus+ High-end User / UberKernel 1.4.5-119 (1Ghz Processor) overclocked
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanji Dad View Post
    Both Bestbuy's in Waldorf, MD and Lexington Park, MD are no longer carrying the Palm Pre+ anymore as well. Just an FYI for those in these areas.

P.S I grabbed the last plus last night
    Im pretty sure all Best Buys just stopped carrying Palm phones because they kept having to replace them.
    Hopefully Sprint is bypassing the what I call "new Pre same as the old Pre,just faster" for the bigger prize, an HPalm super phone coming later?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    My guess is that the spec bumped pre 2 is not 4g. It probably wound not be good for Palm or Sprint to introduce a new phone on Sprint if is not 4g.

On the flip side, Sprint has been a devoted supporter and promoted of Palm for YEARS. And the best they've ever gotten from Palm is 6 months of exclusivity before Palmed *****d (excuse me) their phones out to everyone. This time, they went all out on a publicized release. <snip>
    Thanks for reading.
    At the risk of sounding callous, as I read your post i couldn't help but hear the violins playing. Sorry.

I just want to say that verizon has long suffered from not getting the best phones and when it finally got the android and then the pre+ many of us were happier. All of the phone companies have bouts of good and bad phones. Look at ATT with their silly exclusive iPhone. it's one way they try to stay in business by offering what they consider to be better phones. BTW - around here sprint is not as fast or reliable. Verizon is the best overall service provider in AL IMHO.

Maybe the other posters are right. the pre ++ is not good enough for sprint with all of the 4 g phones about. also, the + probably wasn't a good investment for them. Remember that phone providers also have to think of the cost vs benefits. I'm happy I'm on verizon because there's very little 3g on sprint around here whereas Verizon has 3g all over. ATT is not much better than sprint here either.

So, while I understand your wish for a better pre now, maybe it isn't in the cards. Or, maybe it is. after all. there's no mention of the 2 not being on sprint. also, there's no proof that a better phone isn't on the way. WebOS Dev meeting in NY is next mo...

HP - if you're listening... give some luv to my sprint fellows will ya. even if it's not 4g luv.

Thanks for listening.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy