1.    #1  
    So, in a nutshell, my Pre went for an unintentional swim in the Huron River. We dried it out to the best of our ability, and it did work -- gave us alerts, the phone rang, you name it. But the touchscreen interface was dead, which mean so was the Pre.

Shoot to yesterday, when a spiffy new Pre arrives via courier. It's time to customize, reinstall, you name it. Good thing I had back ups of all my data on my lap top, right? I plug in the new Pre, select USB Drive, and drag all my back ups, music, ringtones, photos, etc. over to it. I disconnect, restart, and figured everything would activate with the reboot.

Wrong. Even though I carefully kept those back ups, the applications are not recognizing the backed up data. One example: Grocery List, with my close-to-100 market items divided between five different stores, shows nothing but the default. Family Medical History, instead of showing all the immunizations, hospitalizations, allergies, etc. for all of our family, only shows the opening screen. Photo Dialer doesn't show anything but its opening screen, either. Anyway, you get the idea.

The data files I dragged over were located in the invisible ".app-storage" file. The folders had names like, "file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.jlp-tech.familymedicalhistory_0" ... and, as you can imagine, I would rather not have to go find all the immunization, surgery, illness, allergy, etc hard copies to input again when I know the data is right there, just not being read.

Can anyone tell me how to get the Pre to recognize the backed-up data, please? Thanks!!

Ana (animemom)
    --------------------

Palm Pilot Pro > Palm IIIx > Palm V >
    Palm VII > Treo 755p > Palm Pre!

... and they're all still floating around
    my house somewhere, too...

--------------------
    You need to investigate my Save/Restore app (available in Preware).

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You need to investigate my Save/Restore app (available in Preware).

-- Rod
    What he said....
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  4.    #4  
    How and where can I find Save/Restore? Is there a link to download it? I don't have Preware on my new phone. Had it on my old phone but never used it. At the most, I install patches. Don't know about locating finding anything else. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    --------------------

--------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by animemom View Post
    How and where can I find Save/Restore? Is there a link to download it? I don't have Preware on my new phone. Had it on my old phone but never used it. At the most, I install patches. Don't know about locating finding anything else. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Firstly, you should install the Preware Homebrew Documentation app from the app catalog. It will show you how to install Preware on your new phone, and how to take advantage of the great homebrew apps, patches, themes and kernels available now in Preware.

Save/Restore is actually one of the apps listed in the Great Homebrew Apps section ...

Preware Homebrew Documentation

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #6  
    I've got it installed. I just can't figure out what to do so that it recognizes my backed up data... help?
    --------------------

--------------------
    did you run save/restore on the ild phone?
  8.    #8  
    No, the old phone is toast. It was submerged in the river for too long. I have a new Pre, with all the data from the old one backed up on my laptop. I want the apps on my new Pre to recognize all that carefully backed up data but don't know how to do that. I'm at the point of wondering why the heck I bothered to back these files up if there's no way to integrate the backed up material into the new phone. Any help would be appreciated!

And while I'm on the subject, another DUH! question. I can't find how to customize the little "charging battery" system sound. I had a custom tone on my old phone. I just can't remember how to change the default tone on the new one to the tone I want. I've gotten all the other sounds (texting, email, calendar alerts) customized, but this one "Charging battery one" I can't find to change!
    --------------------

--------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by animemom View Post
    No, the old phone is toast. It was submerged in the river for too long. I have a new Pre, with all the data from the old one backed up on my laptop. I want the apps on my new Pre to recognize all that carefully backed up data but don't know how to do that. I'm at the point of wondering why the heck I bothered to back these files up if there's no way to integrate the backed up material into the new phone. Any help would be appreciated!
    How did you back up the data from the old phone? Did you use Save/Restore, or did you use some other method?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #10  
    Whenever I connected the old Pre as a USB drive, I copied everything over, including all the invisibles. Sorry, never heard of Save/Restore until this thread!

Still can't find how to customize the charging phone sound. Maybe it's a patch???
    --------------------

--------------------
    yep, it's a patch. Save/restore is in preware. Need to run it to back up your data before the crash.
  12.    #12  
    Just to make sure I understand:

1. The change the charging battery alert tone is a patch.
    2. Because I didn't use Save/Restore on my old phone prior to its death, I can't restore the data to my new phone?
    --------------------

--------------------
    yes to #1

pretty sure 'yes' to #2 unless there is a way to find the data via linux command line. Most app data isn't stored on the usb storage part of the phone. Save/restore extracts data from the phone side and creates a backup on the usb are that you can copy to your pc. It's a great app in preware.
  14.    #14  
    Nuts! Well, hopefully Rod might be able to help me or at least give me the definitive thumbs down on restoring the data. I'll check for the patch for he system sound. Thanks!
    --------------------

--------------------
  15.    #15  
    All right! This morning, the designer of Grocery List helped me recover my data for Geostrings and Family Medical History and pretty much every app ... except for Grocery List. UGH! Hoping to hear from him later today... I've also found the Select Notifications and Alerts patch, so I'm almost back up to full speed, other than the market app. Thanks for all your help, everyone!
    --------------------

--------------------