Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope the new Pre 2 or other (Sprint) webOS has a better antenna because the Sprint Pre has no signal/reception in places where my Treo had decent reception...and where my iPad has decent AT&T reception.

At first, I thought AT&T had a better network (here) than Sprint, but it has become clear that some phones just don't receive as well as others. I think the Pre needs an antenna redesign or something.

I sure hope HP is taking this into consideration.

Thoughts?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    on vzw I find the pre has better reception than my centro, and at least equal to my treo(s). Call quality is much better than any previous palm phone.

I just hope palm doesn't hire the antenna engineer that apple fired.
    I can't talk about their CDMA radio/antenna, but the GSM/UMTS radio/antenna in my Pre is pretty top-notch, giving me better reception than my friend has on his 3GS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I can't talk about their CDMA radio/antenna, but the GSM/UMTS radio/antenna in my Pre is pretty top-notch, giving me better reception than my friend has on his 3GS.
    but, you also know that ANYTHING has better reception than a 3Gs, except for maybe an iPhone4... Just sayin
    I have great service with my Pre, even in areas where my friends phones don't (other Verizon phones).

A lot has to do with where you are, what's around you, and what's turned on.
    I agree to a certain extent with your comments but I remember reading somewhere that the PRE does a very poor job switching to a stronger source (cell tower) when in an area where the Sprint signal is reached, resulting in a ton of dropped calls (Just so happens to be right as I enter my community and pull into my house )

Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    I have great service with my Pre, even in areas where my friends phones don't (other Verizon phones).

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post

That's why I am not just saying that my phone gets poor reception. I am also comparing it to other devices in the same environments.

This has been true of both Pre's that I and my lady (each) have had.
    if you areon sprint, try forcing it to always roam so you will be on the verizon network.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if you areon sprint, try forcing it to always roam so you will be on the verizon network.
    I have the roaming patch. I have an Airave.

I just don't think I should need to rely on those remedies as often as I do.

Besides being somewhat inconvenient, they are band-aids for a much bigger problem.
    I agree completely! Plus, roaming is not always a solution...in my case, I have great Verizon service at my house, but Sprint has a "better" (for them) agreement with another carrier with poor service at my house and that's what the Pre keeps trying to go on (and off and on and off, it's hilarious). Nor will Sprint give everyone an Airave. So yeah, hope this gets fixed.

And I'll tack on the wi-fi too, another frequent complaint on these boards.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    but, you also know that ANYTHING has better reception than a 3Gs, except for maybe an iPhone4... Just sayin
    Pretty much, and it's funny how the apple fans cant see this and blame At&t for everything. I've carried two phones on at&t for a while, and service has always been great on my non apple phones, but only ok on my iPhones. Though in defense of the iPhone 4, it does get better reception than the 3G or 3GS, that is until you touch it, then it's all downhill from there.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I have to agree with the OP. My Sprint Pre has worst reception than my old Treo 755p. I thought it was the Pre in general, but my boss has an ATT Pre Plus and he says that he gets better sound quality and reception than he did with his Centro. I guess internally, the Pre Plus has a better radio than the Sprint Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I have the roaming patch. I have an Airave.

I just don't think I should need to rely on those remedies as often as I do.

Besides being somewhat inconvenient, they are band-aids for a much bigger problem.
    I agree you shouldn't. I was just suggesting ways to narrow down whether it is the phone, your geography, or another factor.
    Airave is pretty much the way to go. You cant go wrong. Bother sprint for an Airave. Thats how i got mine.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Airave is pretty much the way to go. You cant go wrong. Bother sprint for an Airave. Thats how i got mine.
    Like I say, I have an Airave but I disagree that we ought to respond to manufacturers' poor antenna desigs with bumpers or other gadgets.

I am talking about the upcoming devices. I want them to do better.
    I just hope palm doesn't hire the antenna engineer that apple fired.
    Hey, as long as they don't try to make the antenna part of the decor of the phone they should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Like I say, I have an Airave but I disagree that we ought to respond to manufacturers' poor antenna desigs with bumpers or other gadgets.

I am talking about the upcoming devices. I want them to do better.
    Yeah, well. You're gonna be waiting a while for that one then. It all depends on how far the tower is from your house though. The airave isn't intrusive and it's mostly free anyways. So, I don't really take all the negative factors you mentioned into consideration.
    The Sprint Pre antenna is definitely weak. I'm a former Treo 755p owner and my girlfriend has had a Sprint Centro then Hero and now an Epic all this year. All 4 of these phones have had better reception than my Pre. Side by side we commute together listening to the same internet radio sation from the Sprint TV app. During parts of the trip the signal gets weak on my Pre and I loose connectivity. But she would not lose signal on her Epic. This was true when she had her Centro and Hero. I remember my 755p loosing reception to data services much lest often than my Pre. kinda sucks. I too hope future HPalm devices have better antenna's.
  19.    #19  
    I've learned, the hard way, that failing to put my Pre on a Touchstone, overnight, will result in one dead-*** Pre, come morning.

Last night, though, that didn't happen. In fact, my Pre, which hadn't been charged all day, still had a 45% charge as of about 9:30 this morning.

Bluetooth AND WIFI were off. The Airave was the signal source.

I'm seriously wondering if the Airave was the reason. I can't think of a better reason (despite the fact that we've had it for over a year). Maybe my past experience was mostly when I travelled or when the phone hadn't connected to the Airave successfully?

Anyway, that leads me to believe that the relatively poor battery life of the Sprint Palm Pre (as compared to that of my Sprint Palm 755p) is almost entirely about the antenna. Hell, I *know* that I can put my unplugged Pre in Airplane Mode, while at my mom's, overnight, and still retain a charge, the next morning.

If HP wants to win this "war," battery life is one of the strongest areas with room for improvement.

We Palm users love to say that we prefer having a removable battery to having, say, an Apple product with no user-removable battery. However, now that I've used the iPad for the better part of a year, I can't help thinking that removable batteries are all but irrelevant if they last long enough.

Having no user-removable battery makes it easier to design a thinner device, too, from what I hear/can tell. These days, bigger is only better when it comes to screen-size, not device thickness.

Again, solving the antenna problem solves the battery problem with solves the size problem which helps the sales problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Pretty much, and it's funny how the apple fans cant see this and blame At&t for everything. I've carried two phones on at&t for a while, and service has always been great on my non apple phones, but only ok on my iPhones. Though in defense of the iPhone 4, it does get better reception than the 3G or 3GS, that is until you touch it, then it's all downhill from there.
    I know this is an old thread, but,
    I was searching the forums for reception quality for the Pre2 and I found this thread.

I've been with At&t for years. Even before they were Cingular. Never had issues. But, then again, I never had the iphone. I was real close to getting the iPhone4, and quickly said; 'ForgetIt' when I read of all the complaints of dropped bars when you held it. I just recently saw it first hand by one of my clients. He said he has to keep it in a case, or he drops calls. He doesn't blame At&t.

However,
    My real reason for resurecting this thread was to get opionions on Pre2's Radio reception quality.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast