1.    #1  
    Hello, I have been offered the chance to get a Pre in a good deal. I'm not interested in activating it as I have a 4G phone (Evo), but I'm wondering if I could use it in wifi only mode as an "ipod touch" device.

Is it possible and useful to use the Pre in wifi only, without any cellular connectivity?

Any drawbacks to this besides the inability to do voice calls or carrier texts?

I'd like to get a Pre and try it out as a toy to see if I would like it.

Appreciate your feedback.

EDIT: from here: http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...2051&Itemid=21 It seems that the Pre needs to be activated? Is this a carrier activation only? If so then I'm SOL.

Also, can I receive OTA updates via wifi without carrier activation? The Android devices that I've used on wifi only mode can get OTA updates just as if it was on the network.
    Last edited by previous2pre; 10/12/2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Yes you can, I used my Pre wifi only for a month in a half in Europe and everything was good. There's also a way to bypass the activation part but I'm not too familiar with that. Yes, you can receive updates OTA with wifi.
    You can use your Pre as an Ipod on WiFi by using the Activation-Bypass Tool:
    1.Run WebOS Doctor to get a clean install.
    2.Boot your device back into recovery mode.
    3.Run the activation-bypass tool: double-click removePalmSignOn.jar gotten from Palm at: developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2051&Itemid=21

The device will reboot. Once the device is booted, it will be in developer mode.
    Then install PreWare from the jar or exe.
    Now, customize it and have alot of fun.
    Last edited by michaelbsheldon; 10/12/2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: accuracy
    You have to use MetaDoctor to do it. I'd post the link, but I'm mobile.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    You have to use MetaDoctor to do it. I'd post the link, but I'm mobile.
    Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.