1.    #1  
    I have this library of lossless music that I can't play on my Pre. How can I play FLAC files? I know people have been working on this, and I know someone ported rockbox to webos as an app... but I can't seem to find a working link.

Best,
    Harrison
    I had to convert the ones I had to play them on mine. Doesn't take a lot of time.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3.    #4  
    yeah, and this solution isn't all that elegant.

music player (remix) i'm looking at you. you can play m4a files that are encoded lossless, but you can't play flac yet. please?
    IMHO if you really want good sound, which I assume you do because of the FLAC files, don't use a phone for your music. Your only going to get marginal quality from any phone out there. Go with a separate player. I have a Cowon J3 playing FLAC as I type.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
  5.    #6  
    it's not so much that i'm concerned with the music quality on my phone (i'm not.) it's that i'm lazy. i don't want to convert the files from flac to mp3 in order to get them to play on my phone. it's an extra step, it creates annoying duplicate files that my computer's music player has to deal with, and it should be unnecessary. i have these great playlists on Songbird that I can't port instantly over to my Pre. it's driving me mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by atl10pnr View Post
    IMHO if you really want good sound, which I assume you do because of the FLAC files, don't use a phone for your music. Your only going to get marginal quality from any phone out there. Go with a separate player. I have a Cowon J3 playing FLAC as I type.
    Any PMP/portable headphone solution is a compromise. And since a PMP is a convenience solution, not an audiophile solution, carrying both a phone that can play digital music files and a PMP is what I would consider inelegant. I do have a 40-gigabyte Gigabeat with RockBox that I use primarily for long trips, but for day-to-day use, I would prefer that my Pixi be able to carry my music. But I haven't bothered putting any on it yet due to lack of FLAC support.
    i just use .flac for archiving...i like my stuff tagged and imaged for listening purps...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
  8.    #9  
    well I really liked syndil's point. most of my flac music is music i LOVE otherwise i wouldn't put up with the space requirements. and the pre is linux. linux loves flac. soo... i don't see why it can't play with the native player.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonp View Post

music player (remix) i'm looking at you. you can play m4a files that are encoded lossless, but you can't play flac yet. please?
    Remix is still using the same underlying webOS media player, I believe. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that the hardware is doing the heavy lifting for media, so we may be limited by what the hardware is designed to handle. I don't know if it can do .flac or not. webOS is built on linux, so you would think someone could port a bunch of libraries, but it's not running on PC hardware. I don't know if that's the issue, I'm just speculating.

Edit: see DanPLC's post a couple down for a better explanation.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/14/2010 at 09:47 AM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonp View Post

This is probably an issue with what formats Palm decided to support with their API. Given that they wanted to give users the option of syncing with iTunes when the Pre was released, handling the formats that iTunes uses was certainly higher on their list than supporting flac or ogg. Lobby Palm to include flac support in a future update.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    This is probably an issue with what formats Palm decided to support with their API. Given that they wanted to give users the option of syncing with iTunes when the Pre was released, handling the formats that iTunes uses was certainly higher on their list than supporting flac or ogg. Lobby Palm to include flac support in a future update.
    Ogg support is available via PDK audio (using SDL). But Remix currently uses SDK audio which does not have Ogg support. I may play with PDK audio in the future.
  12.    #13  
    flac files play fine on rockbox ported for webos but it is a very unelegant solution which does not use any touchscreen input.
    I'm guessing everybody has moved on. I'm still waiting for the 32GB Galaxy S 2 to come out so I'm stuck with my Pre. Any further headway on playing flac?
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wekya View Post
    I'm guessing everybody has moved on. I'm still waiting for the 32GB Galaxy S 2 to come out so I'm stuck with my Pre. Any further headway on playing flac?
    Audiophile
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47