1.    #1  
    I have a O2 (UK) pre plus which is about 3 months old. The power button has mysteriously stopped working - no click, no effect. This is not too much of a problem to me, however I can see it being an issue if the phone ever turns itself off. I have read that lots of people are getting theirs replaced by their carriers - so this is my question:

Should I go into an O2 store and get them to look at it now just in case I get stuck having to pop the button out every time I have to turn the phone back on,
    or should I wait for the new devices to be launched whenever that may be, and then take my phone in hoping that they will not have any pre plus's left and might give me the new model?

How much of a problem is a busted button? Is it worth waiting and hoping to get lucky?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have NaN posts.
    Take it back. Receive warranty replacement or fix. Leave with working phone. Happy you will be.

Why live with a broken device if you don't have to? At this point we don't really know anything about the new hardware....especially when and where it's launching.

<<Thread Moved>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/12/2010 at 09:11 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Agreed... if you are under warranty (which you are) take it back for a swap/repair. No reason to use a malfunctioning device when it's under warranty!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_twite View Post
    I have a O2 (UK) pre plus which is about 3 months old. The power button has mysteriously stopped working - no click, no effect. This is not too much of a problem to me, however I can see it being an issue if the phone ever turns itself off. I have read that lots of people are getting theirs replaced by their carriers - so this is my question:

Should I go into an O2 store and get them to look at it now just in case I get stuck having to pop the button out every time I have to turn the phone back on,
    or should I wait for the new devices to be launched whenever that may be, and then take my phone in hoping that they will not have any pre plus's left and might give me the new model?

How much of a problem is a busted button? Is it worth waiting and hoping to get lucky?
    It will be repaired not replaced so dont get too excited about getting a new device.
    And you'll have to wait one to two weeks for it to be repaired and returned to you.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    If it shuts off before you bring it in, remember that plugging into a charger / usb will turn it on.
    A piece of eraser was much simpler!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    On my second Pre, I dropped it on it's top. The power button quit working. Sprint replaced it immediately. It took me a couple of hours to patch, homebrew and rearrange things like I wanted them. Less than 48 hours later, I dropped it the same way again (I know I sound clumsy but I rarely drop my phone) the power button again failed. I put a tiny bit of rubberband underneath the power button and over a year later my power button works better than new.
    Not sure how it works in the UK but when you take it in to get fixed in Canada, a simple imprint of the CC will get you a new Pre loaner. I did have to phone a couple of different stores to see if they had one(loaner) in stock or not, and due to this cool thing called synergy, once I entered my Palm profile, it was like having my old phone, minus the screen protector of course. I thought I could deal with a blown speaker, ltm, that thought lasted about 10 minutes until my phone rang.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I took mine apart and fixed mine. Involved putting a small piece of plastic (a small plastic 'dot') on the plastic power switch so it could better press the metal dome that makes the 'click' feel. I also reinforced behind this area (the metal dome switch) with some glue that dries very hard so it can't flex back when you press the power switch. The power switch area is not designed well and is susceptible to failure WAY too easily.
    Checkout #9

9 Simple Fixes for the Palm Pre | webOSroundup

9) MY POWER BUTTON STOPPED WORKING!

This is sadly a pretty common problem. Turns out the little metal clicker that lies under the Pre’s power button can get bent if pushed too hard, such as by the Pre falling on it. Luckily, the solution is simple, easy, and safe. Just follow along.

First, remove the back cover off of your Pre.

Click to zoomClick to zoom

Next, using a paper clip or safety pin, gently pop out the power button. Careful… that little plastic piece may go flying if you push too fast! Easy does it. (Left)

Looking down where the power button used to be, you’ll see the contact where the plastic button pushes. You may try to *gently* lift up on the metal contact to “unbend” it. (Right)

Click to zoom

Fold a tiny piece of paper (no more than 2-3 sheets thick) and rest it flat on top of the metal contact. Pop the power button back in. That should do it! If it doesn’t work, you may try gently lifting up on the metal contact as described above.

There. You’re done.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    I had a broken power button and just replaced that little plastic button with a new one from an old broken pre I got on ebay. I took one off the volume button on the side since they are the same little plastic round clicky thingy
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    i performed the rubber band repair method about 6 months ago, never had any trouble since.
    Interesting Link, trying to stop my oreo effect.

holo
    Take it back. Trust me, you might think you fixed it now, but the problem will comeback again and again.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    My experience with o2 repair is that when this happened to me, I took it in, they sent it off, got it back and it was working, screen was cracked in transit sent it back, got a brand new pre (a retail box with all the accessories) and they even gave me £10 off my bill as a good will gesture as I didn't have use of my palm pre for 21 days (even though I had a replacement crappy phone). Ever since I got the new one, I've had no problems.

I was also told that if I ever have another problem with the Palm Pre (Even though its a new one), I will be offered a new phone make and model on the same contract. I've had 3 major problems with the Pre so I don't think I'll get another Palm/HP phone. I'm more likely to go to HTC after my contract has ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Agreed... if you are under warranty (which you are) take it back for a swap/repair. No reason to use a malfunctioning device when it's under warranty!
    Well unless if warranty rejects your claim... happened to me and I resorted to fixing it myself.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  18.    #18  
    Thanks all
    I am on holiday till November and so I wont be able to do anything till then. And if by any chance a new phone is officially round the corner, I might get lucky. Anyways - it looks like webOS 2.0 is the major new thing, and we're all going to get that and it'll be free!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have NaN posts.