1.    #1  
    Hello,

I've had my Palm Pre plus from Verizon for just about a week now and really, really like it. I had a Palm Centro without a data plan for 1 1/2 years and that was a great phone but it was time to move on to a new phone with a data plan. I had been carrying around an iPod Touch for Wifi use and that is a nice device as well, but now I only have to carry one item around, well almost. More on that later.

A good friend of mine helped me with my cell phone decision as there is a lot to choose from, but in the end I like Palm, it would sync with Windows Live and I liked being able to have multiple apps running at a time. That's something Apple is really missing out on. IMHO.

I've installed a bunch of updates, such as:
    UberKernal
    Govnah
    Preware
    UberCalendar
    Battery Icon as Percent
    Advanced Configuration for System Preferences
    Advanced Configuration for App Launcher
    Device Menu Megamix
    PDF Redux

I still have lots more to look into but what I find missing is:
    - When scrolling an email message or webpage I miss having a vertical scroll bar telling me how much more is left to be read
    - For the life of me I can't figure out how when editing a web address how to move left/right via the text to edit the line. I can press to insert where to select, but if the text line is too long I can't scroll over to the hidden area. Frustrating.
    - I would like to find an RSS reader that will download for offline (airplane mode) viewing the entire articles text. The iPod Touch would do that with say the USAToday App as an example.

Lastly what the Palm Pre Plus doesn't do is MS Excel! I need to change cells and have it recalculate a result. I use this daily for my job and I went ahead and purchased the Pre as my buddy says OpenOffice may come through for us. I hope he's right! So for now I'll still have to carry the iPod Touch around. Any place I can watch for the OpenOffice news?

Thanks for listening and your help and suggestions.
    I'm really enjoying the Palm Pre community here.

Thanks
    Curtis
    Montana
    Welcome to P|C Forums....we are glad to have you in the fold.

Scroll bars are a no show at this time....but might be available via patch?

Left/Right - hold down the "gray key" and move your finger left to right across the screen...the cursor will move.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/12/2010 at 08:32 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    ^^I will look for it....
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, you guys are fast!

I found the newsreader, it's called NewsRoom, this looks and works awesome!
    trileet.com/palm/newsroom

Curtis
  6.    #6  
    I can't figure out how to install this, it says that it can't find an application which can open this file. I emailed it to myself and clicked on the attachment.

Hmm?

Thanks
    Curtis
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    Thanks, you guys are fast!

I found the newsreader, it's called NewsRoom, this looks and works awesome!
    trileet.com/palm/newsroom

Curtis
    Newsroom does not download the entire article unfortunately (like you require)...but it is a great program.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I can't figure out how to install this, it says that it can't find an application which can open this file. I emailed it to myself and clicked on the attachment.

Hmm?

Thanks
    Curtis
    That will not work.

Open the app catalog (on your phone) and search for NewsRoom.

Or...from the Palm website you can send a link to your phone to install the app via text message.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  9.    #9  
    I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to install the Scroll Bar.

Thanks
    Curtis
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Newsroom does not download the entire article unfortunately (like you require)...but it is a great program.
    It downloads more than any other I've seen. Perhaps there has been an upgrade?

Anyway, that's with FoxNews, Helena Montana local paper and USA Today, they all download quite a bit to read for each article, well at least in airplane mode I just tried it in.

Great app for .99 cents

That's just my .02 cents worth.

Curtis
    Oh...the scroll bar...okay that's a different story. You can use webOS Quick Install to install patch files.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v1-3-6-a.html can also install patch files on your phone...and should do so via e-mail (you can install it via Preware).
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  12.    #12  
    Hey hey that's great! The Scroll bar is perfect!

Thanks so much!

Now all I need is Open Office to come through for me and I'm all set.

Thanks
    Curtis
    Glad we could help you!
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Just installed the scroll patch with Internalz, and used it to modify the bar width to 5 pixels instead of 2, my eyes aren't what they used to be! Nice!
    Hello,
    Lastly what the Palm Pre Plus doesn't do is MS Excel! I need to change cells and have it recalculate a result. I use this daily for my job and I went ahead and purchased the Pre as my buddy says OpenOffice may come through for us. I hope he's right! So for now I'll still have to carry the iPod Touch around. Any place I can watch for the OpenOffice news?
    Just to clear things up, I don't think OpenOffice is supposed to come. I think you might be thinking about QuickOffice, which is rumored to be available when WebOS 2.0 is, although I don't think there's been confirmation on this.

I don't think you should expect OpenOffice (now forked to LibreOffice, fwiw) because it's a full-on desktop app, which WebOS is not.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by summatusmentis View Post
    Just to clear things up, I don't think OpenOffice is supposed to come. I think you might be thinking about QuickOffice, which is rumored to be available when WebOS 2.0 is, although I don't think there's been confirmation on this.

I don't think you should expect OpenOffice (now forked to LibreOffice, fwiw) because it's a full-on desktop app, which WebOS is not.
    Thanks.

I guess this is dead then?
    ww.youtube.com/watch?v=2JsulCV4nEQ]
    YouTube - OpenOffice.org on the Palm Pre
    Thanks.

I guess this is dead then?
    ww.youtube.com/watch?v=2JsulCV4nEQ]
    YouTube - OpenOffice.org on the Palm Pre
    That there was a particularly nasty hack running XORG on a pre in order to get OpenOffice running there, and I don't think that there's much incentive for the developers who played with it to improve on it now that QuickOffice has been confirmed to be available for (or even shipping with) 2.0.

However, I wouldn't say that OpenOffice (or its child) will never come to webOS - with Sun having been swallowed by Oracle, a bunch of guys behind OOO have split away to form the LibreOffice project. Yeah, it's like Palm, PalmOne and PalmSource all over again. I understand that LibreOffice wants to have a mobile presence as well as one on the desktop, so I wouldn't say it's entirely off the table for the future... but by then, it'd be just another option to consider, as opposed to being the first viable office suite on webOS.
    QuickOffice is coming in WebOS 2.0 and it will be much better than any hack to put OpenOffice on WebOS, so you might as well forget about OpenOffice even if it does come out.