Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My daughter has been on the "I want a cell phone dad!" thing. Her birthday is at the end of the month. It looks like I'm going to break down and get her one. We have Sprint Everything Data plan w/ 1500 minutes. Its going to cost me $20.00 no matter what phone I get her. Basic Flip phone, texter phone, or a smartphone. I'm really struggling with this. She doesn't "NEED" a Pre or other smartphone, but she is going to have the for two years. I can get a new Pre at Wirefly.com for $9.99 with add a line. The other phone I'm considering is the Samsung Intercept, the Sprint rep recomended the Moment but it is discontinued. I've read many reviews that the Intercept is laggy and freezes up. That might be better since Andriod 2.1. I looked at the Pixi, but with no Wifi and smaller screen (Pixi is Free at Sprint.com), why bother. Phones like the Seek, Restore, Remarq are great for texting, but can't use all the features of my plan. So again, why bother. That is all she needs NOW, but in a year, she will want more.
    Should I stop being an old man and just get her the Pre?
    Anyone have feedback on the Intercept?
    My wife, my son (who saved his own money to buy a Pre), and I all have Pre's.
    As I type this, its sounds like she is getting a Pre.
    But any other thoughts, smart *** comments, advice is always appreciated.
    you didn't say how old she is, my daughter is 13 and she had a phone for walking to and from school, etc. She has been very good with it so we upgraded her to a smartphone when school started back up this year. She has been making good use of the tech by taking notes about assignments, using the calendar to track appointments and due dates, and texting us when she deviates from her normal schedule. It has made me a lot more comfortable about not needing to manage her time and location ALL of the time. While your daughter may not need or use a smartphone this year, she certainly will in a year or two.
    With all the phones that kids are using these days, I would support your thoughts of going with a WebOS device. Ease of use is higher than with virtually anything out there.

I also understand your thoughts about rejecting the Pixi because of no WiFi and smaller screen. But, you also say she doesn't need a smartphone . So, does she really NEED WiFi? Will she ever use it? Does she really NEED a larger screen? I have a Pre. I bought my Dad a Pixi because he's used to a small candy bar phone. I personally do use WiFi, or I would have returned my Pre and bought the Pixi. It's just that cool.

I'm playing devil's advocate because the Pixi has several advantages over the Pre.

1) The build quality is significantly better -- something to consider because I know a LOT of young people and most of them drop their phones or stuff them into purses. You also don't want to risk that her Pre is one that needs to be replaced every few months due to defective hardware.

2) Battery life is much better. My dad uses his phone all the time and recharges every 1.5 to 2 days. I can barely get through 8 hours on my Pre

3) The base Pixi experiences a lot less lag than the base Pre. What is the likelihood that you are going to supe up her phone with some kind of overclocking solution?

So, for a young lady getting her first cell phone, to have all the benefits of WebOS, while minimizing the hardware drawbacks, might make the Pixi worth another look. Alternatively, you COULD find a deal somewhere on a Verizon Pixi Plus, which has WiFi, and then WebOS Doctor it to Sprint.

Consider this advice from someone on Pre number 10.

Good luck!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  4.    #4  
    She is going to be 11. Mostly for going around the neighborhood and staying in touch with us. When the Pre is $10.00 and the others are Free, I guess for $10 bucks why not just get the Pre.
  5.    #5  
    Good points about the Pixi. My son has the Pre and battery problems are a huge problem. If he doesn't charge it during the day it is dead by 7pm and we have no way to reach him. We need to get him a second battery. I'm on my 5th Pre. Maybe I will look at the Pixi again. Thanks again. I knew I would get some good feedback here.
    I would get her the Pre. I would also get it for her through HP's website because it's free and they give you a $50 gift card to buy apps, although the gift cards can be used anywhere. I recently used that deal to get my wife a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ev99wutang View Post
    I would get her the Pre. I would also get it for her through HP's website because it's free and they give you a $50 gift card to buy apps, although the gift cards can be used anywhere. I recently used that deal to get my wife a Pre.
    Sorry, have to disagree. No deal makes up for the inconsistent quality. I don't even recommend the Pre to my friends. In this case especially, where safety and connectivity are paramount, build quality and battery life just aren't good enough for an 11 year old that may not remember to charge it or might drop it (like any adult might), leaving her unreachable. As a parent, I want to be able to reach my child. I don't want to hear, hours later, that her phone went bad or her battery went dead.

Again, I'm on Pre number 10, all due to major hardware malfunctions. I love WebOS, BUT there won't be a Pre number 11 for me. Most of the folks on this blog who've had the Pre since opening day, are on at least Pre number 3. Whereas my dad is going on a year with his first Pixi, and that's pretty normal. Sprint even told me they exchange far fewer Pixis.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    get her a pixi all my sisters got one; I even got one too shhhh.
    Whether you get her a Pre or a Pixi your best bet is to buy either through HP's website to take advantage of the $50 in gift cards.

Maybe take her to the store to let her try out both to see which she prefers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ev99wutang View Post
    Whether you get her a Pre or a Pixi your best bet is to buy either through HP's website to take advantage of the $50 in gift cards.

Maybe take her to the store to let her try out both to see which she prefers.
    That does make perfect sense. Not that you need my input, but it helps to be able to agree on stuff too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    That does make perfect sense. Not that you need my input, but it helps to be able to agree on stuff too.
    Agreed...

i say go Pixi i dont know how careful your daughter is with her stuff but to be safe as others have pointed out pixi is by far the best choice palm wise.

what features do you think she'll miss (on your current plan) that she cant get on a messaging phone
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    We have 3 webos phones in our family. Myself and the oldest daughter are on our original pre's and the youngest daughter has a pixi. Terrible battery life, but I'd recommend either phone in a heartbeat. Both of my daughters like the pixi better than the pre. My .02!
    I would get her the Pixi. Pixi is as solid as a rock, so it can handle better the falls than the Pre.
    My Daughter had the Pre when she was 11 and she has had no issues with it. The pre was our best option because of the WiFi. With overclocking and messing with the volatge via Govnah, I now able to get her Pre to go 1 day without charging.

Regardless of which Smartphone you get, get it through HP and get the $50 worth of Free Apps. That in itself is well worth it!
    My daughter is the same age (going to be 11) and she uses the Pre without any issues.
    I say go with the Pre. Unless your daughter is as dropsy as my 17 y/o. In which case you'll be lucky if the Pre lasts her 3 months.
    Man, we are in the same boat, I know you posted in my "Love Sprint, but not happy about this policy" thread......

My daughter will be 11 in February, so I understand the not really needing a phone yet, but she really wants one, and the other thing she wants is an American Girl doll, which I think she'll outgrow pretty fast....and by the time we buy her that and a birthday present, we can have the phone for her, which she'd want much more anyway!!

We are going to do the suggestion of getting her line, and making it the primary....we have a couple of months to wait, so if a new phone comes out, we'll have her take one of our Palm Pres and one of us will take the new phone....that way the new line will be eligible for upgrade in 1 year, and we can upgrade/renew all 3 lines at the same time then.
    I know I recommended the Pixi, and I still do. But, I don't think I realized your daughter was quite that young. And, per some of the other postings, it seems quite a few "tweens" have not only cell phones, but smartphones. If I may ask...

Why do 11 year olds need cell phones? I mean, other than because they are cool and they want them? Most schools require that they be out of site, if not in lockers during the school day. And, aren't kids supposed to have some kind of accessible adult supervision (i.e., someone with a cell phone) until they are well into their teens? Even then, if you drop them at the mall, can't you give them a loaner phone just for calling you for pickup or emergencies? Do they actually need a cell phone at all?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/10/2010 at 07:57 PM.
    Problem one is with the rest of the family having Pre's you face the singling out factor, and why have one different when everyone else is famiiar with the Pre. Seems like it just makes better sense.
    How about this: take her to the store and let her see them side by side. Be prepared with a list of good and bad for both, leave the store and go have a milkshake and talk it out.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Have you asked her which one she prefers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast