Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I know I recommended the Pixi, and I still do. But, I don't think I realized your daughter was quite that young. And, per some of the other postings, it seems quite a few "tweens" have not only cell phones, but smartphones. If I may ask...

    Why do 11 year olds need cell phones? I mean, other than because they are cool and they want them? Most schools require that they be out of site, if not in lockers during the school day. And, aren't kids supposed to have some kind of accessible adult supervision (i.e., someone with a cell phone) until they are well into their teens? Even then, if you drop them at the mall, can't you give them a loaner phone just for calling you for pickup or emergencies? Do they actually need a cell phone at all?
    Since I posted in here about getting one for my almost 11 year old, I'll explain my reasons.

    1. She is going further with friends, on bike rides and such, so being able to get in touch with her, or her being able to call me if she has a problem would be nice.

    2. We live somewhat close to her school (she typically rides a bus though), but on nice days, she may walk or bike, if she's running late, I could call to find out where she is at.

    3. She is getting old enough to be left alone for short amounts of time (she could be babysitting in a year, she needs to be able to be left by herself before she can be expected to be left in charge of toddlers by herself)....we don't have caller id on our home phone, so she doesn't answer the phone when she's home alone. So having a cell phone that she can see the caller id she'd know she could answer the phone (and again, by the time we add caller id to our home line, it'd cost the same as adding her to our cell phone line, so that just makes more sense)

    4. She in no way NEEDS a phone, I fully admit that!!! But for the money that it'll cost to add her to our plan ($20/month, so $240 for a year), we'd end up spending on her anyway between Christmas and her birthday (this will be a combined present for her)....the other stuff she's asking for, I think she'll outgrow in a few months....so for the money, not only will she more than likely get more use out of it, she's also going to be more excited to receive.

    5. She doesn't need a smartphone of course, but with the data plan with Sprint, from what I understand, an additional line is $20, doesn't matter if it's a smart or dumb phone, so might as well get her the smartphone since we're going to be paying for it anyway, especially now that Pixis are free with a new contract.

    I know it seems silly, but we've held off a few years on her already, she's been begging for one for 2-3 years already, a lot of her other friends have had them for awhile, just a sign of the times I guess.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    times have changed! I agree with pelikan, when I was 11 I never went anywhere without an adult. And my kids don't either.. They can have cell phones when they start working and can afford them on their own.
    Thanks for the support. I really am trying to understand this new perspective of giving cell phones to young kids, as if it wasn't a big deal. I had to earn such things as a kid, and even more so as an adult, because it's not just about having the money, but justifying the expense. I will never lose site of the fact that these are $400+ phones, despite being subsidized, and I have a hard time with the idea of giving an 11 year old (or any under working age child) a $400+ item unless it was a school-required computer.

    Thanks.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    times have changed! I agree with pelikan, when I was 11 I never went anywhere without an adult. And my kids don't either.. They can have cell phones when they start working and can afford them on their own.
    Could not agree more. A phone at 11 is just over the top in my book, maybe at 15. Not sure we are always making the right decision giving our kids everything they "want" when they "want" it.
  4. #24  
    I appreciate all of your points, especially as a parent. And I totally agree with all your reasoning.

    Trouble is, every generation has that thing, that it seemed all the other parents got for their kids, but yours (mine) wouldn't get it for you (me). For instance, personal computers were new when I was a kid. Most of my close friends had them. But, my folks couldn't afford or justify the several thousands of dollars to buy one. The SONY Walkman came out when I was a young teenager. It was definitely the iPod of it's day, and all my friends seemed to have the $150 one that was no more than the size of a casette tape case. But, my folks wouldn't get me one, and I was too young to work at that time, so I had to live without and envy my friends, until they all broke their Walkmen. Today, we have iPods that start at $50 for a shuffle, but most are in the $200-$300 range. PSP's and other portable gaming systems that run in the hundreds. And, of course cell phones. And, while I was disappointed that my parents wouldn't just buy me such things, I understand now that deprivation really is good for the soul (I saw that in a greeting card) and that kids who don't just get handed all these things, really do build stronger character, especially when they earn them, in some way, on their own.

    If I were in your place (and I understand that I am not), I would get the phone. BUT, I would keep it in a special place, to be handed out only under the circumstances where needed, to be turned back in when finished. To be used only for emergencies. Not to be used for talking or texting endlessly to friends or for surfing the web.

    But, again, I understand your reasoning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palm-a-PREciation View Post
    Since I posted in here about getting one for my almost 11 year old, I'll explain my reasons.

    1. She is going further with friends, on bike rides and such, so being able to get in touch with her, or her being able to call me if she has a problem would be nice.

    2. We live somewhat close to her school (she typically rides a bus though), but on nice days, she may walk or bike, if she's running late, I could call to find out where she is at.

    3. She is getting old enough to be left alone for short amounts of time (she could be babysitting in a year, she needs to be able to be left by herself before she can be expected to be left in charge of toddlers by herself)....we don't have caller id on our home phone, so she doesn't answer the phone when she's home alone. So having a cell phone that she can see the caller id she'd know she could answer the phone (and again, by the time we add caller id to our home line, it'd cost the same as adding her to our cell phone line, so that just makes more sense)

    4. She in no way NEEDS a phone, I fully admit that!!! But for the money that it'll cost to add her to our plan ($20/month, so $240 for a year), we'd end up spending on her anyway between Christmas and her birthday (this will be a combined present for her)....the other stuff she's asking for, I think she'll outgrow in a few months....so for the money, not only will she more than likely get more use out of it, she's also going to be more excited to receive.

    5. She doesn't need a smartphone of course, but with the data plan with Sprint, from what I understand, an additional line is $20, doesn't matter if it's a smart or dumb phone, so might as well get her the smartphone since we're going to be paying for it anyway, especially now that Pixis are free with a new contract.

    I know it seems silly, but we've held off a few years on her already, she's been begging for one for 2-3 years already, a lot of her other friends have had them for awhile, just a sign of the times I guess.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  5. #25  
    the solution is simple, when the new palm phone comes out, get that for yourself and give her your pre, if she takes good care of it, in a year you get her a new phone, if she breaks it's your not stuck haveing a line under contract or having to buy a phone full price.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Problem one is with the rest of the family having Pre's you face the singling out factor, and why have one different when everyone else is famiiar with the Pre. Seems like it just makes better sense.
    How about this: take her to the store and let her see them side by side. Be prepared with a list of good and bad for both, leave the store and go have a milkshake and talk it out.
    I agree 100% that way it will be her decision, she will be able to see whic one she can type better on and which one better fits her style . Both are good phones. I don't think battery life is an issue it can easily be extended with the use of a second battery or a higher capacity battery.
  7. #27  
    As far as giving a cell phone to a kid is concerned, I think having something that your child can use to contact you immediately (or vice versa) in case of an emergency is not a luxury it is a necessity . I guess I am very different from most parents.
  8. #28  
    Well, regardless of what others think, if you think she needs a cell phone then she does. No one knows the reasons you are trying to get her one. Monday Morning Quarterbacks much?

    I bought one for my daughter because she goes 20 miles to school. Sometimes if she misses the bus she can call us to pick her up. But regardless of our reasons, you asked what cell phone you should get your daughter not if she needed one.

    Get her what you think is best.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    As far as giving a cell phone to a kid is concerned, I think having something that your child can use to contact you immediately (or vice versa) in case of an emergency is not a luxury it is a necessity . I guess I am very different from most parents.
    You are actually very modern and probably more the norm than those of us that think pre-work age children (under 16) are too young for cell phones, or at least to posses them full time.

    As a person who has worked hard and paid full price for several of my smartphones, it's very hard to watch them just given to young kids.

    As a parent I understand wanting to stay in contact with, and try to protect your kids from a distance.

    As a teacher, I can guarantee you that, left unchecked, "in case of emergencies" is only 1% of what they will use it for. The other 99% of the time they will call, text, and tweet with their friends. I have lost count of the number of times I have taken phones away in class, from otherwise very bright, very responsible kids. I could retire on what I would make betting against the parents who swear "my kid would never do that."

    I implore parents of younger children... give it to them when they need it, and have them put it in a special place at home when they don't. Perhaps you can consider making "phone time" at home (using the MP3 player, texting, internet, whatever) a reward for good work, or helping out. But, please don't let them be tethered to it at such an early age, or it will be 1% emergency/parental tether (for you) and 99% parent-ally funded distraction (for them).

    Going back to topic, as has been suggested... by all means, give your kids a phone, as I know you will. I would too, just not as a full time thing. I still recommend WebOS for it's features, and the Pixi for it's ability to take a beating. I also recommend one of those black, semi-hard cases, which recesses the screen. It's a REALLY good idea too and it doesn't add much size to such a slim phone. Remember, the first time you get the phone, it might be free. The second time, it's $100 to $400.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/11/2010 at 09:35 AM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  10. #30  
    Sounds like its the Pre/Pixi. While I agree with that simply because the whole family has them (easier learning curve, etc) and I agree with kids having phones but smartphones always makes me think that it is an uncensored/unrestricted computer. Full web access wherever and whenever she or her friends please....

    Tell her you will doing audits on the phone. Plug it into the PC and tell her you are accessing all the system logs. Make sure she knows you can see *everything* done on the phone, even if she deletes history/pics/sms. Sure you are blowing smoke
  11. #31  
    yeah right and kids don't know how to work around cybersitters . Most of today's kids are more tech savvy than their parents.
    Nice try but the smoke will blow out on first contact with friends.
  12. TheMacs's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    #32  
    Go with the American Girl doll. My daughter has a couple (very generous grandparents), and while close to "outgrowing" them, still wails when I want to move them to medium-term storage (the basement), one step removed from long-term storage (the attic).

    She also is begging for a phone. I've given her all my old (disconnected) smartphones, so she's fairly savy. And a lot of her friends have live cell phones. I'm holding out, because there really isn't a need at this point. Peer pressure will eventually win out, but I'm keeping the American Girl doll playing child as long as I can, because I cannot get her back. The uber-texting teen can wait.
  13. #33  
    I didn't read all the all the responses to your OP post, but my brother bought a smart phone for his 11 year old for the soul purposes of putting a GPS "Stalker" app on the phone. They live in the chicago land area and the ability to see where they are at any given time has given a piece of mind to him. He also caught them in lies saying they were at a friends house when they were doing something they shouldn't have. I don't know if the pre/pixi has this app but it might be something to consider.
  14.    #34  
    Didn't mean for my post to get so heated.
    Thanks for the HP suggestion.
    I'm due for my one year upgrade otherwise that would be a good idea to get a new Pre 2 and give her my Pre.
    Webos is very easy to use and she is very comfortable from using my phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions