Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1.    #1  
    I am guessing that the Pre sales for Bell were disappointing (to Bell). Partial evidence is that the Pre Plus never got officially picked up in Canada.

    Given that, what is the likelihood we are going to get a carrier to pick up any new WebOS phone(s) developed by HP?
  2. #2  
    I'd say the likelihood is very strong the new HP / Palm devices will be picked up. Palm was dying a slow and painful death during the Pre Plus launch.

    Bell played it safe and didn't pick up a bunch of hardware from a company with a unknown future.

    But now with HP behind it, the brand has the confidence to get noticed again.
  3. #3  
    Good question. Not sure about Bell but TELUS and HP had a okay relationship once and have sold PALM hardware in the past (right up until the Pre was released). Given HP's scope, influence and experience I don't see why Canada would be left out of the party.

    I would expect any new Palm phone would end up being HSPA given that nearly every single cellular operator in Canada now has a HSPA network or is lighting one up very soon....CDMA's days are numbered in the Dominion, starting now.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4. Vij
    Vij is offline
    Vij's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #4  
    Agreed. I think that new HPalm phones will be picked up and on multiple carriers. And soon I hope. By original Pre has aged nicely but it has still aged!
  5. TyBec's Avatar
    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #5  
    I really hope so!
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/08/2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Please don't post around the language filters - This forum is PG-13...see forum guidelines, eh.
  6. #6  
    Likely for me as well, although I was kind of let down a bit at first, my stance on Palm/webOS has changed for the better. Probably will not be rushing out to buy the next phone, this one suits me fine for now, but given my atrocious record with cell phones...i imagine once my warranty's up and I either break/lose it or the phone dies, i'll be looking for the next device.
  7. #7  
    I could care less as long as someone carries it. Unlock and buy a SIM, then call Bell for a retention plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    I am guessing that the Pre sales for Bell were disappointing (to Bell). Partial evidence is that the Pre Plus never got officially picked up in Canada.

    Given that, what is the likelihood we are going to get a carrier to pick up any new WebOS phone(s) developed by HP?
    The only carrier that carried both the Pre and Pre Plus was O2 Telefonica. Neither Telcel nor Sprint moved to the Plus. Yes, I doubt it sold well on those, but as an explanation's it's kind of thin.

    More likely was because the carriers that already have the Pre didn't see the RAM and Storage bump to be significant enough.

    And the REAL reason why Bell's Pre didn't take of was because it was a CDMA device, and Bell was busy promoting their then spanking new HSPA network, which the flagship device was, you guessed it, the iPhone.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10/08/2010 at 07:24 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And the REAL reason why Bell's Pre didn't take of was because it was a CDMA device, and Bell was busy promoting their then spanking new HSPA network, which the flagship device was, you guessed it, the iPhone.
    Exactly. It was all about the "new" GSM network and getting the iPhone. Although you can still get Pre's with Bell. I got a free replacement one a few weeks ago.
  9. #9  
    Toni, do you think that the ecare switch to HSPA/sim from CDMA Can be done while maintaining the discount plan pticing most of us Bell customers got as they cleared out their Pres?
  10.    #10  
    Oh yeah, the network switch. Does that mean if we have the original Pre, we're hosed?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Toni, do you think that the ecare switch to HSPA/sim from CDMA Can be done while maintaining the discount plan pticing most of us Bell customers got as they cleared out their Pres?
    Lots of reports about people ditching the Pre and going to an iPhone 3GS and working fine.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12. #12  
    <Pure Conjecture>

    When the Pre launched, it took two months to pop up in Canada and four months to come to Europe. The first leaks of the Pre 2 were from China, and the newest, most official ones were from Europe. US leaks still unseen.

    This makes me think that the most immediate benefit of HP's scale is going to be simultaneous product launches everywhere - if Europe for example wasn't getting it at the same time as America, why would they tease it so early? (this is assuming that an American company isn't going to release anything anywhere before the US release).
    If Europe gets new hardware Soon™ and (almost) simultaneously with the US, why wouldn't Canada?

    </Pure Conjecture>
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I would expect any new Palm phone would end up being HSPA given that nearly every single cellular operator in Canada now has a HSPA network or is lighting one up very soon....CDMA's days are numbered in the Dominion, starting now.
    I totally agree here. HSPA is the current standard in Canada, CDMA is being flushed out. And if HP/Palm does plan on doing multiple carrier launches then it would be easy as all of the major carriers are on HSPA, but regardless you can just buy it, unlock it, and pop in your bell sim card.
  14.    #14  
    Well, we are now officially getting the Palm Pre 2. Have to see what happens with any potential next gen device. I'm also really curious if Bell is going to be the carrier picking it up here.
  15. staeit's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Toni, do you think that the ecare switch to HSPA/sim from CDMA Can be done while maintaining the discount plan pticing most of us Bell customers got as they cleared out their Pres?
    I did it, kept my discount. Palm Pre -> iPhone 3GS. Zero problems (as opposed to the countless problems I had when I had the Pre...)

    I did it via CSR not e-care though.

    I even have free CID/VM and the Fab10 unlimited student plan :-)

    Back on topic, I wouldn't be surprised if NO Canadian carrier picked up the Pre 2. Look at the opinions of the majority of people regarding the Pre(s). Pre -> Pre Plus -> Pre 2 doesn't have nearly enough spec bumps to get the next device. The Pre 2 should have been the Pre Plus, and the Pre 2 should have been designed with a screen that keeps up to the other major players. Palm just doesn't get it.

    Bell had to basically beg people to get the Pre (giving as much as $15/month off for a smartphone plan for the entire contract). If I was Bellus or Rogers I wouldn't touch the Pre 2.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Bell had to basically beg people to get the Pre (giving as much as $15/month off for a smartphone plan for the entire contract). If I was Bellus or Rogers I wouldn't touch the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And the REAL reason why Bell's Pre didn't take of was because it was a CDMA device, and Bell was busy promoting their then spanking new HSPA network, which the flagship device was, you guessed it, the iPhone.
    This.

    I know you hate the Pre, but we have enough haters around here. We get your message.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Back on topic, I wouldn't be surprised if NO Canadian carrier picked up the Pre 2.
    Despite what people may think about HP, I find it impossible to believe they are announcing a Canadian launch without having a partner signed up.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

  18. #18  
    I'd bet on seeing it go to Rogers; HP and them have a good relationship. I remember them selling at least a few iPaqs, and currently HP Net/Notebooks with pre-installed 3.5G. And I always see Rogers reps with HP gear.

    I don't think we'd see it on Bell again, they still have tons of Pres sitting around; they can't give them away. I think they were introduced just a short time before launching the HSPA network. Brand new phones, practically already obsolete at launch

    I would love to see a multi-carrier rollout, though, fingers-crossed...
  19. staeit's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    This.

    I know you hate the Pre, but we have enough haters around here. We get your message.
    Use of "This." doesn't have quite the same effect when you are quoting yourself. And since the Pre also comes in a GSM/HSPA flavor, that point is pretty much moot. The Pre as a GSM phone hasn't done a lot better anywhere else either, now has it? What stopped Bell from stocking the GSM Pre or Pre Plus? So why would they stock the Pre 2, which appears to be barely an update over the Pre plus?

    I don't hate the Pre - I actually liked the Pre, it was the QC of the Pre that got me. Anyways I wasn't even commenting on that so I don't know why you said that. I was saying as a wireless provider, the Pre/Plus/2 doesn't make sense because it doesn't sell, citing Bell as an (the only Canadian) example. I'm thinking Bell wouldn't have discounted the plan so much if the Pre was selling well.

    I could actually see it going on Rogers more likely than Bell tbh, but I guess we'll see.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Use of "This." doesn't have quite the same effect when you are quoting yourself.
    I was pointing you to read what I said. I just typed something because of the character limit.

    And since the Pre also comes in a GSM/HSPA flavor, that point is pretty much moot. The Pre as a GSM phone hasn't done a lot better anywhere else either, now has it?
    That's not my point. I was talking about why Bell didn't even bother promoting the Pre, because their focus was the new network. Bell should have just got the HSPA version to start with.

    Tell me another market where there's a carrier that has both UMTS and CDMA and transitioning from one to another. If you have an answer to this question, then your point is valid.

    What stopped Bell from stocking the GSM Pre or Pre Plus? So why would they stock the Pre 2, which appears to be barely an update over the Pre plus?
    Because they already commited to the CDMA Pre prior and the stock was already shipping? Having both a CDMA and GSM version of the same device is just going to confuse the reps.

    Bell not getting the Pre Plus is probably the same reason why Sprint didn't get it, because the Plus was really not a huge bump.

    If because the Pre 2 was "barely an update", then can you explain why Verizon is getting the 2 when they already have the Plus?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions