Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Bell had to basically beg people to get the Pre (giving as much as $15/month off for a smartphone plan for the entire contract).
    That's how I got my Pre from Bell. Was paying $28 a month for a LG 5400 dumb phone. Was eligible for an upgrade after several years with that phone. Now I got a Pre for $35 a month for the next 3 years.
    Palm Canada | Palm Pre 2 Phone | Features, Details

GSM... but that doesn't say much.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Also just found out that Rogers will be carrying it...

From the page source code:

Code:
      <!--p>The Palm Pre2 phone is available on the Rodger's network.</p-->
      <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="details-table">
        <tbody><tr class="table-header">
            <th class="row-header"><h3 class="sifr-text">Carrier</h3></th>
            <th class="row-header"> <!--div class="carrier rodgers left"></div-->Coming soon</th>
          </tr>

<tr>
            <td width="300" class="row-header b-border"><h3 class="sifr-text">Color</h3></td>
            <td width="320" class="b-border">Black</td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="300" class="row-header b-border"><h3 class="sifr-text">Operating system</h3></td>
            <td width="320" class="b-border">HP webOS platform</td>
    They misspelled Rogers though...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

****!!!

I cant leave Bell I have a corporate account with them... MAN. This sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    ****!!!

I cant leave Bell I have a corporate account with them... MAN. This sucks.
    You can always unlock it and buy a SIM card for $5...

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You can always unlock it and buy a SIM card for $5...
    Yeah I know but I get a free device every year on Bell.

$600 PalmPre2 vs free iphone 4...even a WebOS freak like me... thats a hard sell.
  7.    #27  
    Good old hidden source code goodies.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Yeah I know but I get a free device every year on Bell.

$600 PalmPre2 vs free iphone 4...even a WebOS freak like me... thats a hard sell.
    I somewhat doubt it'll be $600... given that even Bell is launching the Desire Z and Galaxy S at 499.

Though this IS Rogers we are talking about.

If it's priced at 399 or 299 unlocked it'll sell relatively well.

This is unrelated to my situation but you are right Toni

It needs to be 299 unlocked and available to work on 3rd party Rogers networks like Fido.

Also it would be awesome if the Pre2 came to WIND mobile. I mean a lot of people dont want to go to WIND because they offer kinda crappy devices.

It would be WIN WIN because WIND would have a pretty decent device and the Pre would not be directly competing with the iphone and super android devices on the same network.

I have been saying this for a while, that the Pre2 should be launching on 3rd party and independent networks where people want a smartphone but there are none available.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    That's not my point. I was talking about why Bell didn't even bother promoting the Pre, because their focus was the new network. Bell should have just got the HSPA version to start with. Tell me another market where there's a carrier that has both UMTS and CDMA and transitioning from one to another. If you have an answer to this question, then your point is valid.
    Bell actually did, and does, promote the Pre. Where do you get the idea that they didn't or don't? Wouldn't you consider $15/month off a promotion? And it was always listed as one of the first smartphone devices on the website, and before the discount the Pre page bragged about it winning a bunch of awards at CES 2009. It was advertised on their website, and I also recall seeing a bunch of ads for it on random pages on the net. Not on TV, but then I don't remember the last time I saw a Bell advertisement on TV anyways, promoting HSPA or CDMA devices. If you read this: Bell hopes Palm Pre will rival Rogers' iPhone it calls the Pre Bell's "Flagship" device, because at the time of release, the iPhone wasn't available on Bell; it was meant to be a competitor to Roger's iPhone. The HSPA network was still in development. Does it honestly seem logical to you that they'd neglect promoting a device CURRENTLY available because the iPhone was to be available from their network in a couple months? If you're going to blame the failure of the Pre on advertising, blame Palm for its creepy woman commercials.
    Because they already commited to the CDMA Pre prior and the stock was already shipping? Having both a CDMA and GSM version of the same device is just going to confuse the reps.
    Of course they had CDMA stock, because they at the time only had a CDMA network. HSPA network was launched in Nov 2009, Pre was available on Bell at the end of August.

Bell not getting the Pre Plus is probably the same reason why Sprint didn't get it, because the Plus was really not a huge bump.

If because the Pre 2 was "barely an update", then can you explain why Verizon is getting the 2 when they already have the Plus?
    Pre 2 isn't much different from the Pre Plus. Faster processor, higher mp camera. Not really huge imo.
    Last edited by staeit; 10/20/2010 at 12:04 PM.
    Also just found out that Rogers will be carrying it...

From the page source code:

Code:
      <!--p>The Palm Pre2 phone is available on the Rodger's network.</p-->
      <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="details-table">
        <tbody><tr class="table-header">
            <th class="row-header"><h3 class="sifr-text">Carrier</h3></th>
            <th class="row-header"> <!--div class="carrier rodgers left"></div-->Coming soon</th>
          </tr>

<tr>
            <td width="300" class="row-header b-border"><h3 class="sifr-text">Color</h3></td>
            <td width="320" class="b-border">Black</td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="300" class="row-header b-border"><h3 class="sifr-text">Operating system</h3></td>
            <td width="320" class="b-border">HP webOS platform</td>
    They misspelled Rogers though...
    Palm removed the references... now it's just "carriername".

The Pre was being advertised by Bell on TV here in Canada just this month. I think that now the uncertainty is over about Palm's future, and the apps catalog is available, one of the carriers will pick it up. I think the change over from CDMA had a lot to do with Bell putting more attention towards gsm devices.
    The only problem with WIND is it's only available in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal ( I think that's it) for now anyways. If you leave the city, the phone doesn't work, like Fido, Chat-R, Solo, Koodo. Great network pricing if you never leave the city.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    The only problem with WIND is it's only available in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal ( I think that's it) for now anyways. If you leave the city, the phone doesn't work, like Fido, Chat-R, Solo, Koodo. Great network pricing if you never leave the city.
    You forgot Edmonton

And the phone DOES work on all those networks if you leave the city, but you're considered to be roaming (so can get pricey if you forget about this fact). For a lot of people though, they are in the city like 99%+ of the time, and it's really cheap for unlimited talk/text + CID/VM.

now that it is announced that Rogers is getting the Pre2....my probability is slim to none. Hopefully when/if they come out with different varieties of phones... other carriers ie Bell will snap one of them up.
    And I'm not happy with the rumoured price. 99.99 on 3-year is just crazy, which puts it in the 499.99-599.99 outright territory.

Would be much better if it's in the 30 on 3 year and 400 outright territory.

$99.99 on 3-year is just crazy, which puts it in the 499.99-599.99 outright territory.
    Please, Toni, this is Rogers we're talking about - the people who openly brag about having the highest per-customer revenue of any Canadian carrier.

But to answer the original question, yes, when HP brings out a 'super-Pre' with a much larger screen (by which I mean a much higher resolution screen), expandable memory, and a true office suite (QuickOffice will do nicely), I'll be handing my 1st-gen Pre on to someone.
    Last edited by dpaus; 10/27/2010 at 02:03 PM.
  19.    #39  
    Yeah, the Rogers thing is annoying. I don't plan to break my contract with Bell just for a Pre 2, but if one of these mythical HP/WebOS superphones came out on another provider, I might be tempted.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12