1.    #1  
    I had been facing a 'ghost' update problem, i.e. update would always show an available update but there actually would not be one. Thus I decided to delete my palm backup and re-create it, thinking that might resolve the issue. But I have ended up with a bigger problem now. After turning of 'Backup' to delete the backed up data on the Palm Server, when I tried to turn it back on, the 'backup' just goes on and on and seemingly does not work. I don't know how long the backup is supposed to take so I have even left in on overnight, but still it never ends. I thought the process would be simple enough, wherein the server will delete the data and then when I turn the 'backup' back on it will re-create the backup. Is there a solution to this? What happens if I doctor the phone and then again try to create a backup? I would not want to lose the apps I have already purchased and preferably would like ot have all free apps backed up to along with other data on the phone.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 10/29/2010 at 08:29 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    The back up stores your settings and contact data. Any paid apps are tied to your account email address. You could try restarting your phone and turning on the back up after that.... see if its just a glitch in your phone. I don't even rely on the Palm backup anymore. I'm switched all my contacts over to a gmail account as a backup service (I've lost too many contacts to the Palm app).

If you doctor your phone, be sure to run Save/Restore to save your app settings and data locally. That way you will have all of your settings (game levels, bookmarks, etc) saved. I wouldn't run the doctor until you get your Palm backup running again just to be sure you don't lose any info you want.
    Here's a related question, after you doctor and enter your palm profile so your apps start downloading will apps that are no longer in the app catalog still download, maybe from an archived copy? If not is there a way to backup applications so you can re-install them after doctoring?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I wouldn't run the doctor until you get your Palm backup running again just to be sure you don't lose any info you want.
    But the problem is, how do I get Palm backup running again. I have tried everything I could think of.

If you can't restart your device and get backup to turn on. Try toggling airplane mode and see if that helps.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    If you can't restart your device and get backup to turn on. Try toggling airplane mode and see if that helps.
    I have tried this and pretty much everything else I could think of ie. short of actually doctoring the phone. I suppose I have no choice but try doctoring. Question is what happens to all the apps that I have bought? Also, what about the free apps, which are not free any more, including some apps that were made available for free only temporarily.

In the Backup app, from the app menu choose Palm Profile, type in your password. Once it presents you with your info swipe back to main scene. Now press the Back up now button. See if that kick starts it. Mine had not backed up in 3 days and that's the only way I could get it working again (5 minutes ago).

Apps you bought and are still available will redownload. Ones that are no longer free or are no longer available will not.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    In the Backup app, from the app menu choose Palm Profile, type in your password. Once it presents you with your info swipe back to main scene. Now press the Back up now button. See if that kick starts it. Mine had not backed up in 3 days and that's the only way I could get it working again (5 minutes ago).
    Thanks. I tried it but did not work for me. Actually in my case the option to 'Back up now' is not there, since THe 'backup' is actually turned off. So instead I turned the backup on, but I am still stuck with the same problem. The backup seems to start but just goes on forever. When I dismiss the app and turn it back on, it shows that it is 'off'.

PS: I have a similiar problem with the 'Pre Backup' app. That too just endlessly seems to keep backing up and I end up having to dismiss the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Apps you bought and are still available will redownload. Ones that are no longer free or are no longer available will not.
    Thanks. I had figured as much.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 10/29/2010 at 08:27 AM.

9.    #9  
    Tried everything but could not get the darn backup to 'turn on'. So I finally ended up doctoring the phone. Strangely enough, after I got done doctoring, upon signing into my profile, palm restored all my applications. All apps, as if the backup had been working all along. Since the doctoring did not resolve another of my phone's problems, that of the app catalog 'reporting new updates available, when there are none', I decided to delete all the apps on my phone and start from scratch. After deleting all the apps I decided to wipe out the backup oin my profile so as to have a clean profile t ostart with again. But once again when I 'turned off' the backup and tried to turn it on again, I was stuck with the same problem of the 'backup' just going on and on forever and seemingly not working. Anyhow, I once again doctored the phone. This time when I signed into my profile after the fresh doctoring, the profile restored only my 'paid apps'. This time I do not wish to try turning off the backup as I do not wish to be stuck with not being able to turn it back on. But in any case, although it states that my phone is bvacked up automatically every day, it does nto seem to do so, because the date mentionewd remains the same, ie. unless I manually make it backup. Upon manually backing up the current date and time of backup appear, but that time and date remain the same even days later. Bottom line is, there is soemthing seriously wrong with this whole cloud backup stuff and Palm needs to provide an alternate, more reliable method of backup.

PS: In spite of twice ahving doctored my phone and also having deleted every single app from the phone, the stupid "updates" app continues to 'report available updates'. How can there be updates available when I don't even have a single app installed? uff...