Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I'm just wondering how a phone comes out a year and half later, that basically looks as if it has the same functionality as the pre, but when you watch the commercials it almost makes you want one? I'm sure you can guess what phone I'm talking about. Just shows how bad the ball was dropped when it came to marketing my beloved palm pre.
    got a link to the ad you were talking about? Maybe an old and a new?
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    got a link to the ad you were talking about? Maybe an old and a new?
    nah not really just saw another commercial today and I'm thinking to my self why couldn't they have just done this for the pre (show what the phone freaking does) that's all that needed to happen.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Does it rhyme with:

COMPLETELY AGREE! the first time i saw a commercial for the pre (before it came out), i had NO idea what the pre could do....i had to go on youtube and watch the CES2009 (cuz i missed it). then after i knew what it did, i would ask "ummm why are they talking about deja vu and juggling instead of multitasking and synergy?"

Their marketing killed it like no other. I honestly would like to know what the advertising company palm hired was thinking.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    this wasnt so bad

my current wallpaper

Last edited by hatchettjack; 10/07/2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    this wasnt so bad

my current wallpaper

But even in this one....advertising is all about focus, and in the commerical, all they focused on were the dancers making a rippling movement. Yes i understand the screen has that....Also, 0.5 glances at a meeting reminder, viewing a picture, the wave bar and flipping thru 2 cards and throwing one away really doesnt say much.
    WHAT is a card? What does pushing it up do? We know all this since we have the phone, but people who have never seen this phone have no idea. This phone operates differently than other phones....theres a slightly steeper learning curve because of this.

Maybe have a commercial somehow creatively stating what the flicking up motion is and what the cards are... Im sure theres a good way to do it besides showing a half second clip of it, then focusing on dancers for 10 seconds which have nothing to do with how the phone works
    (One of my good friends has a career in marketing and we've def discussed many many things that could have been done different in this commercial)

When making a commercial, you have to ask yourself "ok, what did this teach people about the phone?" and you always have to assume they are slow learners and have no idea about anything that has to do with the phone because as soon as you assume they "just know", your probably missing out on a good number of ppl who dont "just know"

I hope HP does much better.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    yeah i guess that wasnt all that bad, but thats because we already know what it does and what all that stuff was about so it makes since. If you had no idea what webos was you still dont have any idea after that commercial.
    I think that commercial was intended to pique your interest, not so much to teach you all about webos, an introduction, so to speak. I think it does just that!