Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I've been using DateBk for years, but I'm having too many problems with trying to run it under Classic on the Pre. Lockups, alarms that never sound, etc. Since MotionApps seems to have abandoned updating Classic, and Pimlico has abandoned DateBk, I don't expect things to improve.

Have any DateBk users found a decent substitute? A calendar with reliable repeating alarms, tasks, that won't scramble all my appointments if I change timezones?
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I feel your pain bitmage.

Nothing comes remotely close. Even combos of apps don't do it. I'm still using DateBk, and struggle, much like you.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I am also using Datebk6 on Classic. It is working pretty well for me, but not perfectly. Worked better on my Centro, to be sure. Sadly, although I really like my Pre, my main use for a smart phone is the phone, and the calendar. Everything else is secondary for me. The phone is great...calendar is what you have. I am hoping that iPhone comes out for Verizon, because there appears to be a very good calendar for iPhone that will do much of what I love about Datebk6. Pocket Informant has templates, icons etc. So, I may have to switch at that point. Nothing on Blackberry or Android either. May have to be iPhone. Oh, well.
  4. ELG
    I agree, sorely miss the week at a glance among almost every other feature that Datebook had. The calendar for the webos stinks. SOMEONE, please develop a useful calendar with as mentioned above a week at a glance feature.
    I'm using UberCalender-patch together with my google calendar - not a complete replacement, but it's nice enough.
    I too used and loved Datebk6 on my Palm PDA's and on my Centro. I havent found anything remotely close to it on WebOS.

Until something emerges I am using the "stock" Calender app with the "UberCalender" patch. Its OK. Better than most stock calender apps on other platforms but not even close to Datebk6.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by ELG View Post
    I agree, sorely miss the week at a glance among almost every other feature that Datebook had. The calendar for the webos stinks. SOMEONE, please develop a useful calendar with as mentioned above a week at a glance feature.
    I use the Agenda App found in Preware along with the Ubercalendar patch. The trick with the timezone thing is to always schedule events in local time when in that timezone. If you have a 9AM appointment in NY and you are putting in your calendar in Chicago, make sure to put it in at 8AM. When you arrive in NY your calendar will appropiately show the 9AM appointment at 9AM. I'm sure that it is an adjustment for a person who is used to a calendar that doesn't adjust itself depending upon timezones -- but I like it. Everything is linear and easy to see where you have free time and breaks in your calendar.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I still use DateBk6 under Classic. It crashes occasionally (Motion Apps blames Pimlico; Pimlico blames Motion Apps), but 99% of the time it works fine. I've considered UberCalendar, but it's missing some key functions I want (color foreground and background text in month view, ability to repeat dates and copy dates easily,...).
    Had Datebk6 with Classic, but gave it up for Agenda and Ubercalendar with ICONs. There are some great enhancement in place with UC and good the work will continue. I plan to check out Agendus if it comes to WebOS.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I use Agenda and Ubercalendar on my Pre. I use Pocket Informant on my IPad and the Pre and IPad sync with Google Calendars. I have 5 calendars that sync between my two devices and my husband and daughter's phone.

I do NOT like the native IPhone/ITouch calendars, but the IPad's calendar is MUCH better, Pocket Informant makes it rock.
    DateBk was my favourite Palm third party app. I miss it so much.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    DateBk was my favourite Palm third party app. I miss it so much.
    Yes. I'm appalled at how little PIM capability the Pre has, more than a year after launch. That was always the part that Palm 'got' better than any other company, and it seems to have been lost completely with WebOS.

I'm sure that I'm in a minority here, but I don't care about new games for the Pre. The battery life is not good enough to waste it on game playing. I need the Pre for critical communication and information uses, not as a toy.

I keep hoping some company will step up to the plate. I will happily give $40 for an app that will do what DateBk did. Heck, I'd probably give you that just for a calendar with integrated tasks and alarms that worked reliably across timezones!

Grumpy old Palm curmudgeon, that's me.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Yes. I'm appalled at how little PIM capability the Pre has, more than a year after launch. That was always the part that Palm 'got' better than any other company, and it seems to have been lost completely with WebOS.

I'm sure that I'm in a minority here, but I don't care about new games for the Pre. The battery life is not good enough to waste it on game playing. I need the Pre for critical communication and information uses, not as a toy.

I keep hoping some company will step up to the plate. I will happily give $40 for an app that will do what DateBk did. Heck, I'd probably give you that just for a calendar with integrated tasks and alarms that worked reliably across timezones!

Grumpy old Palm curmudgeon, that's me.
    My sentiments exactly (except for the grumpy part ) The other thing I loved about Datebk was the snooze and reminder handling--you could choose times related to the start of the appt, the end of the appt, or from when you were making the decision. I'm using ubercalendar--based on other comments in this thread, I'll check out Agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    My sentiments exactly (except for the grumpy part ) The other thing I loved about Datebk was the snooze and reminder handling--you could choose times related to the start of the appt, the end of the appt, or from when you were making the decision. I'm using ubercalendar--based on other comments in this thread, I'll check out Agenda.
    I miss the icons in month view most. I could look at it and see what in had going on that day at a glance.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreAngie View Post
    I miss the icons in month view most. I could look at it and see what in had going on that day at a glance.
    This. I wish I'd known that the Palm calendar didn't have the color coding for in month view...I loved having dr's appointments, haircuts, work events, family events, sports stuff, all in different colors so I could see at a glance what was going on with any particular day. I loved that on my TX, it seems like I've gone backwards with the Pre.
    Thanks to the folks who recommended Agenda and UberCalendar in this thread! Installed both, and although they are not like DateBk, they improve my scheduling experience on the Pre.

I think part of the problem is that (as the Agenda developer states) Palm never released any API docs for their date/calendar functions.

If HP wants to make more serious users happy, the least they can do is document these APIs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    I've been using DateBk for years, but I'm having too many problems with trying to run it under Classic on the Pre. Lockups, alarms that never sound, etc. Since MotionApps seems to have abandoned updating Classic, and Pimlico has abandoned DateBk, I don't expect things to improve.

Have any DateBk users found a decent substitute? A calendar with reliable repeating alarms, tasks, that won't scramble all my appointments if I change timezones?
    I have Classic to run TealPHone and so far so good. I yet to be able to replace the search capabilities of TealBook.
    I always thought the stock calendar in my Treo was good enough and when I moved over to the Pre I was seriously disappointed. Currently, I'm using UnberCalendar and Agenda.

ET
    I am a die hard DB user....think I started back on the 1st or 2nd edition. I've continued to use via Classic but can say it is so slow & unresponsive. Because I'm an RN working the same shift but VERY IRREGULAR days, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the irregular repeat function & the use of icons. Using the template feature along with the irregular repeat, I can enter a very complicated 2 month schedule in about 10 seconds!! (I've clocked it!!)

I would love to find something which offers the same function but it's a dealbreaker for me. I will go to my grave clutching DBook......
    Last edited by sherryterry1; 10/11/2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added more info...