1.    #1  
    Anyone in LA have issues with sprint nav? When I'm at home the app works fine. But when i'm in traffic or going somewhere the satellite error message icon appears, app gets laggy, and directions tend to not make sense and/or very delayed instructions
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Weird, although I rarely need it here in Nevada (aside from finding an unusual place in Reno or Carson City), I did use it a lot this summer in NY and NJ. It worked so well that it really impressed me. I didn't experience any of the problems you have mentioned. The only issue I had with it was that it REALLY wanted me on the LIE, when I prefered the Northern State Parkway for where I was going. I drove for miles in either direction listening to "you are now off course, re-routing..." It kept telling me to exit the Parkway and switch to the Expressway. It almost sounded angry that I didn't switch!
    I've never had problems other than in an area where there are many tall buildings with lots of concrete and glass or in deep valleys (ie signal gets blocked).

Is this happening downtown or on the freeways. Maybe purchase of a Tom Tom or Garmin would be better for this.
    We travel to LA about every 4 to 6 weeks and yes, my NAV sucks there ... even on a 'sunny day' it tells me over and over over "your GPS signal is weak" - or stops all together - we drive from Arizona and never is there an issue until we get into LA itself - Recently some friends from Canada were meeting us after a flight into LAX and they had to stop and restart their Garmin GPS multiple times in order to find us ... I think its about LA, and not necessarily our sprint NAV specifically
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    i really hate the way the map looks. super cluttered and doesnt scroll around well.

i wish hpalm would buy out tom tom or garmin...
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I find the Sprint NAV to work very well in L.A. .. I prefer it over the one installed in my car!
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    I find the Sprint NAV to work very well in L.A. .. I prefer it over the one installed in my car!
    Lucky you. Sprint in LA is erratic at best. Towers had outages and coverage is moving by load. One day in the same spot there is a connection, next day could be nothing. (That is not covering Sprint dead spots, because Sprint do not have enough towers to saturate the area as Verizon does)
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I've had all four major carriers in the past 5 years and I also stream audio constantly. When you stream audio you really find out how good or bad a network is quickly. I also run around a lot in the region so that helps to make it obvious.

Recent history...
    AT&T iPhone (good EDGE, bad beep beep beeeep noises), iPhone 3G (Bad, gaps in coverage, many dropped calls.)

Sprint Palm Pre & Palm Pixi [Currently Active] (breath of fresh air, went from the San Fernando Valley to San Pedro through I-405 and Palos Verdes without dropping once! -- noticed that service deteriorated when the EVO came out. However the service was very consistent and reliable overall.)

Verizon Palm Pre Plus [Currently Active] (Bad, while the 3G footprint has proven to be superior to all the networks it has also proven to be unreliable. My suspicion is that there are too many people on the network. I constantly get thrown to 1x and drop my audio stream. The only way for me to make 3G somewhat reliable is to use a 24kbps stream instead of my usual 80kbps. I've also had many dropped calls.)

P.S. VZ Navigator is the worst GPS program I have ever used, hands down. Basically no searches work unless you have an address, i.e. can't ask it to direct you to an intersection without it suggesting you go to one that isn't even close to the name on the other side of the country. Sprints Navigation software was seriously good except for the voice telling me too much too often. But I still choose Sprint Nav over the one built into my car.

Also, whenever I go on longer journeys now I take my girlfriends Pixi because it's that much more reliable.

I'll be driving to central California tomorrow so I'll be able to see how Verizon is on a less saturated network.
    Last edited by ieko; 10/07/2010 at 03:58 PM.
    Use it all of the time, works fine for me. I travel a lot for work in the tri-state area of CA, NV and AZ and use my Sprint all of the time. In fact, yesterday I used it in LA with no problems.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I live in the Los Angeles area and use Sprint Nav every week with very few problems. I occasionally get the GPS single low error, but it doesn't affect the navigation program. The one time it did, I pulled over, exited the nav program and restarted it and went on my way.
    I have used Sprint Nav all over the USA with very few issues. If I have had signal issues a reboot has always fixed it.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    do you have "data roaming" enabled?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    It's generally very good for me, although I don't use it that often. I did, however, have one absolutely dreadful day near Valencia and Santa Clarita, where it told me the signal was very poor. (And I ended up very late for a meeting!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    I've had all four major carriers in the past 5 years and I also stream audio constantly. When you stream audio you really find out how good or bad a network is quickly. I also run around a lot in the region so that helps to make it obvious.

Recent history...
    AT&T iPhone (good EDGE, bad beep beep beeeep noises), iPhone 3G (Bad, gaps in coverage, many dropped calls.)

Sprint Palm Pre & Palm Pixi [Currently Active] (breath of fresh air, went from the San Fernando Valley to San Pedro through I-405 and Palos Verdes without dropping once! -- noticed that service deteriorated when the EVO came out. However the service was very consistent and reliable overall.)

Verizon Palm Pre Plus [Currently Active] (Bad, while the 3G footprint has proven to be superior to all the networks it has also proven to be unreliable. My suspicion is that there are too many people on the network. I constantly get thrown to 1x and drop my audio stream. The only way for me to make 3G somewhat reliable is to use a 24kbps stream instead of my usual 80kbps. I've also had many dropped calls.)

P.S. VZ Navigator is the worst GPS program I have ever used, hands down. Basically no searches work unless you have an address, i.e. can't ask it to direct you to an intersection without it suggesting you go to one that isn't even close to the name on the other side of the country. Sprints Navigation software was seriously good except for the voice telling me too much too often. But I still choose Sprint Nav over the one built into my car.

Also, whenever I go on longer journeys now I take my girlfriends Pixi because it's that much more reliable.

I'll be driving to central California tomorrow so I'll be able to see how Verizon is on a less saturated network.
    Really? Took 405 From San Fernando Valley and did not drop signal? How long was that? I am driving there all the time from and to work. There at least 4 points when there is no 3G signal period... Do you want to name the places?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I think there may be something to this.

I have been experiencing the "weak gps signal" problem of late here in Austin. I haven't been using Sprint navigation too much lately.

The problem seemed to start either after the update to 1.4.5 or when I started using the over clocking.

A reboot seems to clear the problem. But that is not practical while driving. Especially with the long boot time of the Pre.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
  16.    #16  
    Overall sprint nav is a good app. I was a bit worried about the signal is low icon since it occurs often. I'm usually 405 and 105. One thing that impressed me was being able to run grooveshark and sprint nav at the same time. The music fades out while directions are heard. Cool stuff. I just wish the app goes into landscape mode.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I am not in LA, but I noticed that when in our city downtown, the tall buildings caused a lot of signal problems. A few times I missed a turn or the GPS is completely off track.

But I have not problem on free ways and in the suburb.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon