Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    What is the best way to scan the Pre's storage for file system errors? The reason I ask is that since 1.4.5, nine out of 10 times that I eject my Pre from my computer, I go to the photos on the Pre and it tells me that I need to "eject my pre from the computer before I can view photos." I have tried right clicking the Pre "drive" and clicking eject, and I have ejected from the device manager. Neither works, even thought I always get the "it is safe to remove your hardware" message on the computer. I have to reboot my phone 9 out of 10 times after I connect to the PC. That seems to me like there might be file system errors.

Any ideas?
    Doesn't sound like an error on your device... sounds like a driver error on your computer causing the system to not correctly eject the device. The computer not only needs to eject the device, but tell the device it is no longer connected. Check your USB drivers to see if you have the most current version. Also, make sure you are using the stock (OEM) cable when you connect the two.

If you have wifi, I would also suggest spending a couple bucks on the WiFi Media Sync application. That app will allow you to transfer files back and forth without ever having to plug your device in to the computer.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Doesn't sound like an error on your device... sounds like a driver error on your computer causing the system to not correctly eject the device. The computer not only needs to eject the device, but tell the device it is no longer connected. Check your USB drivers to see if you have the most current version. Also, make sure you are using the stock (OEM) cable when you connect the two.

If you have wifi, I would also suggest spending a couple bucks on the WiFi Media Sync application. That app will allow you to transfer files back and forth without ever having to plug your device in to the computer.
    I do have WiFi media sync, and that is great for adding files to my Pre, but at least when it comes to audio files, I cannot delete them from the Pre unless I connect it to the PC.

As for the cable, it isn't stock, but it had worked fine until 1.4.5 came out (maybe coincidental, maybe not). Around that time, I also noticed that the camera sometimes drops a picture. I mean that I take 4 photos in a minute or so, I see the flash, hear the "shutter" sound, etc. but when I look at the photoroll, there are only three photos there. I've also had videos that I have taken show up on the PC (actually on 2 PC's) as 0 Kb "unrecognized files," which still play fine in the Pre and which I can upload to YouTube from the Pre with no problems (come to think of it, this part just supports your USB driver theory).

I have Windows 7 on an HP Touchsmart that is supposed to use HP Health Check to keep up with whether or not drivers are current. What else can I do to look for updates USB drivers?
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Just pitching in: be sure to just test other USB ports (possibly on another system as well), using this USB cable and another one, just to see where the same problem pops up.

If all USB ports on this system give you problems using both cables, it could be USB driver problems (headache). If your problems are reproducible using the same cable on another system, it could be the cable. If they're reproducible (on the 2nd system) using another cable, it's your Pre.
    I guess?
    Well, I have reproduced the problem twice on my work PC. I rarely connect it at work, though. I have also reproduced it on my Wife's laptop once. In both cases I used different cables. I was using the OEM cable at work, and I used the same third party one as I normally use with my PC on my Wife's laptop.
    You can delete audio files from your device without plugging it in... just use the Internalz app.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Assuming I can determine if the problem is in the Pre file system, is there a way to, essentially, run scandisk on the Pre file system without screwing anything up on it?
    Was gonna post this yesterday and got side-tracked

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ty-v2-1-a.html