Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've been overclocking my Pre for the past 2 months. Slightly shorter battery life. Much FASTER user experience!
    I've been overclocking my pre for a few months. 500/800 at first and now 500/1000 since it's release.

I have had no problems.

Overclocking voids your warranty it's pretty cut and dry, with repair costs as they are you may even consider another phone if things go sour for you.

It's a risk you take.

As for battery, of course it's going to drain faster. The processor is operating at a faster speed, pretty 101 there. But with the screen state profile set to 500/1000 you should be able to save enough power to get you through a 10 hour day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'm using UberKernel & Govnah to overclock my Pre. I run the 500/800 screenstate profile, and with the latest updates to Govnah & Uberkernal you can not only change the processor speed, you can change the voltage settings so it doesn't draw as much power from the battery.

I've been using the lower voltage settings for the last 2 days, and I can get through the day on a single charge. Prior to that I would defeinitely have to charge it again during the day, or at best be around 10-20% if I monitored what I was doing to save power.

Though I don't think I am a ultra power user like you, you will definitely see a difference with voltage tweaking, and if you underclock to 250Mhz with the screen off, even more so.

To change the voltage settings in Govnah, tap Profile-->Advanced Settings --> CPU Frequency --> Core Voltages.

This is a screen shot of my voltage settings, if you want to compare. Anything lower than these may be too little power for the phone to work properly.
    Are you using a Sprint Pre or a Pre Plus?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Installed Uberkernal/Govnah. Set to screenstate 500/800. With light use, just a few texts and battery dropped 10% in a matter of minutes. Dr. Battery does say my batteries capacity is only 77% but the decline in battery life with Uberkernal was very noticiable.

Next I loaded up Angry Birds with no other cards except Govnah. Played the game for 5 minutes and noticed the CPU temp hitting 52. Seems too hot for me!

So I changed to use Uberkernal default which keeps CPU at the stock 500cpu but still allows me to use Govnah to monitor things. Tried Angry Birds again and CPU temp peaked at 41.

The one thing I have noticed with Uberkernal default settings is that either it greatly helped battery usage or somethings wrong with the battery display! I charged it up and now after 2 hours of very light use it still says 100%. With stock kernal I'd be at 90-95% by now. If this is real then I love Uberkernal but not for overclocking! Besides, my Pre operates quite smooth, no lag anyways.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'm using UberKernel & Govnah to overclock my Pre. I run the 500/800 screenstate profile, and with the latest updates to Govnah & Uberkernal you can not only change the processor speed, you can change the voltage settings so it doesn't draw as much power from the battery.

I've been using the lower voltage settings for the last 2 days, and I can get through the day on a single charge. Prior to that I would defeinitely have to charge it again during the day, or at best be around 10-20% if I monitored what I was doing to save power.

Though I don't think I am a ultra power user like you, you will definitely see a difference with voltage tweaking, and if you underclock to 250Mhz with the screen off, even more so.

To change the voltage settings in Govnah, tap Profile-->Advanced Settings --> CPU Frequency --> Core Voltages.

This is a screen shot of my voltage settings, if you want to compare. Anything lower than these may be too little power for the phone to work properly.
    What exactly does changing the voltage do? Should I do this as well? And, how can I do this?

Cheers!
    ~Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
    What exactly does changing the voltage do? Should I do this as well? And, how can I do this?

Read this...

Know Your Overclocking Options: Voltage Tweaking Special (Update: Voltage Tweaking Goes Public!) | webOSroundup

and this...

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Govnah#Brief_Usage
    Last edited by rlangley21; 10/08/2010 at 06:05 PM.

Cheers!
    ~Ted
    It adjusts the amount of electrical power supplied to the processor. You should not mess with it unless you are prepared in case your device data is corrupted. As for what it does, if you under volt the processor and find a voltage that supplies the power the processor needs to operate properly without causing read/write errors it can increase your battery life. How to do it is in Govonah's advanced settings.
  8.    #48  
    This seems much over my head...
    ~Ted
    its easy just try it out you'll get it
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    This seems much over my head...
    ~Ted
    For now, you may not need to do this. Changing your voltage can lead to kernal crashes that can wipe out your data and send you to the (webOS) doctor.

Maybe just run with the OC'ing right now and see how your battery life is in a normal day of YOUR usage. The apps you run and the way you use your phone is different than everyone else. Changing the voltage is not cookie-cutter. There is no right and wrong answer. It can be different for different people and phones.

Then, maybe much later, once you've added apps and go through your day, you can come back to this idea.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    For now, you may not need to do this. Changing your voltage can lead to kernal crashes that can wipe out your data and send you to the (webOS) doctor.

Maybe just run with the OC'ing right now and see how your battery life is in a normal day of YOUR usage. The apps you run and the way you use your phone is different than everyone else. Changing the voltage is not cookie-cutter. There is no right and wrong answer. It can be different for different people and phones.

Then, maybe much later, once you've added apps and go through your day, you can come back to this idea.
    That's the thing...I get great battery life. As far as I can see, there's been no change since the OC, either. I can close up a day with ~56% battery left. I think I'll wait on this, until my battery begins to suffer; until then I'll research.
    Thanks again for all the input, everyone.
    ~Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Are you using a Sprint Pre or a Pre Plus?
    I'm using a Sprint Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post

This is true, changing the voltage is risky, and varies from user to user depending on how you use your phone. For me it has definitely increased the performance of my battery life, however it can potentially lead to a crash and wipe your data. I've been under volting for the past 3 days, since I saw the article on WebOSRoundup ( rlangley21 posted the link in the comments above) and I haven't had any issues.

The only problem is that whenever I reset my phone, I have to adjust all the voltage options again. In the end, I may revert back to the default voltage settings due to the risk of a kernel crash, and I hate having to reset them whenever I do a reset or luna restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I take it from the thread that there is still somebody out there with a stock clocked pre? And I thought they were extinct?
    mea culpa, mea culpa...
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    The one thing I have noticed with Uberkernal default settings is that either it greatly helped battery usage or somethings wrong with the battery display! I charged it up and now after 2 hours of very light use it still says 100%. With stock kernal I'd be at 90-95% by now. If this is real then I love Uberkernal but not for overclocking! Besides, my Pre operates quite smooth, no lag anyways.
    I would recommend getting the Dr. Battery app and re-calibrating your battery. Sounds like the battery indicator is a acting a little haywire.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Loving my Sprint Pre Plus running at 500/1ghz. This along with the faster card animations patch makes it FLY.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Loving my Sprint Pre Plus running at 500/1ghz. This along with the faster card animations patch makes it FLY.
    Bear in mind that the faster card animations only speeds up the animation, not the actual process.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Bear in mind that the faster card animations only speeds up the animation, not the actual process.
    Yes that's true, but the smoothness 1ghz gives the OS plus the faster animations just makes everything more responsive.

I don't know though. Maybe I will throw together a video comparing the two. Once the glowing starts is when the process kicks off, so getting to that point faster by speeding up the animations might shave off a few tenths of a second.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    we're splitting hairs if we're talking about shaving off a tenth of a second lol
  20.    #60  
    Do I have to reset my 500/800 Screenstate each time I have a Full/Luna Restart?
    ~Ted
    Last edited by tedthebassist; 10/09/2010 at 05:31 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast