Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    just a note on 250 MHz... Not every phone can handle it. My last phone worked fine at 1GHz/250, but my replacement seemed to crash at that setting, so I'm back to 1GHz/500. Also, the phone does get hotter on the touchstone, a trade off for conductive charging, I think that uberkernel is supposed to automatically scale back to 500MHz while on the touchstone, but you'd have to look it up, I'm not 100% on that as I don't have a touchstone.
    I was ready to drop the Pre with out overclocking. Now that I have it overclocked, I like the phone again.

It is not only worth it, I think it should be friggin' mandatory.

nnb
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    I feel like the Pre (Plus) is fine w/o the need to overclock the processor. I'm a late comer to the webOS scene after giving up on my Droid Eris. The Pre Plus is far from perfect, but I'm still quite impressed at the polish this has over any Android phone I've played with. I liked the fact that I didn't have to tweak and modify the phone to get it to work the way that I wanted it to - whereas with the Eris I had to root the phone just to get notes in the contact field to expand. Yeah, seriously.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I have read a few reports on forums from people who overclocked and had their Pre die. All of them had been overclocking for several months without issue before failure. Phones were completely dead. Fried CPU?

While I've only seen a handful of these type reports the Pre has only been out a little over a year. I don't think we've seen enough longer term cases to know what can be expected from overclocking.
    If you do it with Uber Kernal and Govnah, overclocking seems to be safe, easy, and reliable.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    If you do it with Uber Kernal and Govnah, overclocking seems to be safe, easy, and reliable.
    I second this. It works great. I actually get better battery life when I run the 500/800 screenstate settings over the factory setting of the Pre. Seems strange but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I second this. It works great. I actually get better battery life when I run the 500/800 screenstate settings over the factory setting of the Pre. Seems strange but true.
    And I forgot to mention that the improved performance (speed) is well worth it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  8.    #28  
    Hey guys!

Thanks so much for all the input/advise/heads up!
    I'm currently running on the 500/800 Screenstate and I've already noticed smoothing operation. I absolutely love the fact that it drops down to 500MHz when the screen is off and rises back up too 800MHz when it's on. A great feature.
    ~Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
    Hey guys!

Thanks so much for all the input/advise/heads up!
    I'm currently running on the 500/800 Screenstate and I've already noticed smoothing operation. I absolutely love the fact that it drops down to 500MHz when the screen is off and rises back up too 800MHz when it's on. A great feature.
    ~Ted
    When you're ready (and able), the OC-ing and lots of other tweaks/patches, etc. are due to the the hard work of the webOS Internals team. If you did a search, you would find there stuff all over the place. Just remember they do all this in their spare time and they don't get paid for it. Donations are a wonderful gesture and allows them to continue to develop and support all the things they do. Any amount helps...
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    When you're ready (and able), the OC-ing and lots of other tweaks/patches, etc. are due to the the hard work of the webOS Internals team. If you did a search, you would find there stuff all over the place. Just remember they do all this in their spare time and they don't get paid for it. Donations are a wonderful gesture and allows them to continue to develop and support all the things they do. Any amount helps...
    I would donate, trust me, I can tell how much work goes into all of this. But I'm rather young, at 16, and don't have any way to donate. I'll figure something out, sometime, but until then I'm afraid all I can do is express my appreciation through words. Many apologies.
    ~Ted
    Many apologies.
    ~Ted
    No need to apologize, just passing the word to the new guy...

This is a pretty cool community you've ventured in to. Stay a while a check things out. The more you learn, the more you can help others. That's another way to help.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    No need to apologize, just passing the word to the new guy...

This is a pretty cool community you've ventured in to. Stay a while a check things out. The more you learn, the more you can help others. That's another way to help.
    Actually, I've been here for about a month already :3
    The site is absolutely amazing, in every way shape and forum (see what I did there?).
    I've just recently been able to sign up (thanks school!) but I'll be sticking around for some time to come, for sure.
    Once again, thanks to you, and everyone on the site. It's a great community.
    ~Ted
    Hello,

I was just wondering if overclocking the Pre's cpu was worth it, or not, and the ups and downs of the process. I'm a bit hesitant, not so much with voiding the warranty (thanks WebOSDoctor!) but with having something negative happen to my device (e.g. bricking it). And lastly, what was the safest to overclock the phone too (mhz wise), I really don't want to worry about the phone suffering from temperature damage, or any other kind of damage, all day.

I've tried searching the forum, but I have yet to find answers to all my questions.

As always, any information would be great!
    (I plan on using the "Overclocking for Dummies" guide).

Cheers!
    Does a bear sh!t in the woods? preware, uberkernal BANG...new phone!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    Does a bear sh!t in the woods? preware, uberkernal BANG...new phone!!!
    Phil.hsr is right. I was almost ready to start drinking some of that Android or iPhone Kool-Aid until I started overclocking. That along with Preware, patches & homebrew. It absolutley feels like a brand new phone. After having my Pre for about a year, I could probably hold on to it for another year. No more too many card errors; no more sluggish prototype responsiveness, it's awesome!

Do it!!
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I take it from the thread that there is still somebody out there with a stock clocked pre? And I thought they were extinct?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    How about battery life? My stock pre is a couple weeks old and it lives on the charger. Most of the day is spent streaming radio and a little internets over wifi (not 3G) and I cannot get thru more than 8 hrs. Anywho, my real question is: if I run 800MHz how much decrease can I expect in battery runtime? With screenstate, can you underclock to say 250Mhz when the screen is off to extend runtime?
    I'm using UberKernel & Govnah to overclock my Pre. I run the 500/800 screenstate profile, and with the latest updates to Govnah & Uberkernal you can not only change the processor speed, you can change the voltage settings so it doesn't draw as much power from the battery.

I've been using the lower voltage settings for the last 2 days, and I can get through the day on a single charge. Prior to that I would defeinitely have to charge it again during the day, or at best be around 10-20% if I monitored what I was doing to save power.

Though I don't think I am a ultra power user like you, you will definitely see a difference with voltage tweaking, and if you underclock to 250Mhz with the screen off, even more so.

To change the voltage settings in Govnah, tap Profile-->Advanced Settings --> CPU Frequency --> Core Voltages.

This is a screen shot of my voltage settings, if you want to compare. Anything lower than these may be too little power for the phone to work properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Everyone here in this forum is absolutely correct. Install the Uber-kernel and Govnah and you won't regret it. I did it as soon as I received my new Pre Plus and it was great.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Everyone here in this forum is absolutely correct. Install the Uber-kernel and Govnah and you won't regret it. I did it as soon as I received my new Pre Plus and it was great.
    it is not worth it, stay away at all costs...
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    it is not worth it, stay away at all costs...
    ...not..
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast