1.    #1  
    Hello!

First off, let me say I am new here, and that I apologize if this has been posted in the incorrect field!

So here's my situation: when I attempt to sync my music files (.mp3's) onto my Pre (Plus) via the drag-and-drop method, the files sync just fine. I can play them on phone with both the Music Player and Music Player Remix 2.0 beta. Artist information is there, as with album and song title. However, the "Genre" section always drops at least 2/3rds my music into a "Other" folder. This is quite frustrating, figuring I am sure all the information on the files are correct! Also, it's frustrating that when I posted this same question on Palm's support forum, it was removed in the next hour!

Please! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    ~Ted
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
    Hello!

First off, let me say I am new here, and that I apologize if this has been posted in the incorrect field!

So here's my situation: when I attempt to sync my music files (.mp3's) onto my Pre (Plus) via the drag-and-drop method, the files sync just fine. I can play them on phone with both the Music Player and Music Player Remix 2.0 beta. Artist information is there, as with album and song title. However, the "Genre" section always drops at least 2/3rds my music into a "Other" folder. This is quite frustrating, figuring I am sure all the information on the files are correct! Also, it's frustrating that when I posted this same question on Palm's support forum, it was removed in the next hour!

Please! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    ~Ted
    Please don't take any offense (none intended), but I need to ask the obvious question: Did you check to make sure that you have the genre you desire for each of these songs embedded in the id3 tag for each mp3? If all the other track info is syncing properly, that's the likely culprit....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Please don't take any offense (none intended), but I need to ask the obvious question: Did you check to make sure that you have the genre you desire for each of these songs embedded in the id3 tag for each mp3? If all the other track info is syncing properly, that's the likely culprit....
    No offense taken at all, mate! Thanks for the response!
    But, I believe that I do have the genre embedded in the id3 tag.
    Assuming the id3 tag is what you fine in [[Right Click]->properties->Details] of the [.mp3] file itself (this is how I edit all my mp3s' information).

Forgive me, I'm horrid at terminology!
    ~Ted
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
    No offense taken at all, mate! Thanks for the response!
    But, I believe that I do have the genre embedded in the id3 tag.
    Assuming the id3 tag is what you fine in [[Right Click]->properties->Details] of the [.mp3] file itself (this is how I edit all my mp3s' information).

Forgive me, I'm horrid at terminology!
    ~Ted
    Yes, correct, that's where you should find the id3 tag info. If those songs don't indicate the genre "Other" when you check there, you've got me stumped. Just a suggestion, but perhaps try using MediaMonkey (MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter) or MP3Tag (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)) to set the id3 tag, and see if that works. It might be a long-shot, but maybe that'll work for you? If the genre is showing up properly on your computer though, there's no reason I'm aware of that would cause all the other info but that to sync properly.....
  5.    #5  
    I've tried multiple syncing programs in the past, and they all provide the same turnout. But I'll try Media Monkey, since I have yet to try that particular one. But, yes, the music is also properly displayed on my desktop. I'm stumped as well... But, thanks for the help, nevertheless! Hopefully we can figure this out.
    ~Ted
    I've recently learn that both stock Music app and Amigo app only understand 2.4 version of ID3 tags. I discovered it the hard way, as the music I was pushing into my Pre from Windows Media Player 10 wasn't recognized by genre.

The PC did see the genre tags (well, all of them), but the Pre catalogued every song as "other" genre.

So I downloaded a Windows application specifically for administering ID3 tags, and only had success when I bothered not only to update all tags to 2.4 version, but painfully deleting every tag and just setting a single genre tag in 2.4 version. Very, evry cumbersome.

Is there any music app for the Pre that reads different ID3 tag versions?