1.    #1  
    When I use the Palm Pre on my car charger as a HotSpot the battery dies in about an hour. This doesn't make sense. Is this normal?
    The light on the charger is red and the "charging battery" comes on when it is plugged int.
    it's possible that the charger wouldn't add power as fast as the phone uses it, but that seems really fast.

Some things to check:
    1. most important, are you using a Palm-branded car charger? Many cheap 3rd party chargers don't put out enough power to be useful.
    2. get Dr Battery app from Preware and make sure your battery is healthy
    3. turn off the gps (location services app) and the bluetooth radio to make sure nothing else is drawing power - and see if that helps. the gps sucks a lot of power.
    4. check your signal strength. if your phone is constantly searching for a signal or switching to and from roaming, that will kill your battery in no time. make sure you run your tests in a known good location with 5 bars.
    Cantaffordit has some excellent points.

If you are using the Touchstone Charger you may want to switch over to using just the wall charger while using the mobile hot spot. The Touchstone charges your phone at a slower pace (at least mine does)

To put it in numbers that make little sense to me... While my phone is on the touchstone my batter current is 350mA but while connected straight to the wall it is around 450-550mA. All I know is bigger is better. You can test it for yourself by using the Dr Battery app cantaffordit suggested or if you have your Pre overclocked the Govnah app will list your batter current mA as well.
    I've seen tethering apps drain the battery (albeit more slowly) even if phone is charging. I've seen this not only on my Pre but on a few android phones as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark.Funk View Post
    Cantaffordit has some excellent points.

If you are using the Touchstone Charger you may want to switch over to using just the wall charger while using the mobile hot spot. The Touchstone charges your phone at a slower pace (at least mine does)

To put it in numbers that make little sense to me... While my phone is on the touchstone my batter current is 350mA but while connected straight to the wall it is around 450-550mA. All I know is bigger is better. You can test it for yourself by using the Dr Battery app cantaffordit suggested or if you have your Pre overclocked the Govnah app will list your batter current mA as well.
    hey, that's interesting. I was under the impression that my phone charged equally fast via usb or touchstone. I can't say I've tested it with a stopwatch, but I haven't seen any noticeable difference.

what I'm curious about is that the wall adapter puts out 1000mAh so I would expect both methods to have 1000mAh input to the Pre. when charging from the PC, it would only be getting 500mAh for charging, so that could also cause the MHS app to drain faster than it can charge - because it's only getting 1/2 of the power available from the wall adapter.

Is that not the case? As I looked at the battery monitor, I thought the 300-400 numbers were usage rates, not charge rates. shows how little I know about 'lektricit stuff.

thanks for any education you can provide to this
    The other problem with using MHS on the touchstone is that the phone will run hotter, decreasing its efficiency and causing it to strain and draw more battery. When I need to use MHS I am often at a hotel, and I just leave it charging on a nice cool marble surface using the usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    hey, that's interesting. I was under the impression that my phone charged equally fast via usb or touchstone. I can't say I've tested it with a stopwatch, but I haven't seen any noticeable difference.

what I'm curious about is that the wall adapter puts out 1000mAh so I would expect both methods to have 1000mAh input to the Pre. when charging from the PC, it would only be getting 500mAh for charging, so that could also cause the MHS app to drain faster than it can charge - because it's only getting 1/2 of the power available from the wall adapter.

Is that not the case? As I looked at the battery monitor, I thought the 300-400 numbers were usage rates, not charge rates. shows how little I know about 'lektricit stuff.

thanks for any education you can provide to this
    For me, I have a slower charge on the touchstone. This may not be the case for everyone. I just asked a friend of mine to check his charge rates and they were the same while using the wall charger as they were on the touchstone so maybe I'm have a problem with my battery haha.

You are correct about the 300-400 numbers being usage rates but You'll notice that while not on a charger you have a negative number being shown which represents the strain on the battery. If you were to plug it into your charger the numbers will shift to positive, showing a charge. The higher the positive number the faster it will charge, the lower the negative number the faster your battery will die.
    All numbers in the Dr.Battery app are numbers from the battery. The current values are charge/discharge mA.
    I think the other apps are getting the values thru luna but I assume these are all battery values. You can find these values in the logfile /var/log/messages ether.

EDIT: I already speculated that the device runs from the battery only. Example: Lying on the TS after reaching 100% the battery is discharging even when still connected to the TS.
    If this is the case you are limited to the charge current which is regulated by the battery (or WebOS?). The charge current is programed into the chip of the battery and is depend from the actual charge level. The highest value for a std Palm battery is around 450mA (if I remember correct). My Mugen likes to have 720mA.

So if MHS is using more than 450mA the (std. Palm) battery will discharge even if connected to the wall.
    But 2 hours seems to be to short for me.

Again: My speculation
    Last edited by somline; 10/06/2010 at 11:13 AM.