1.    #1  
    Breaking Down the Smartphone Wars | John C. Dvorak | PCMag.com

Palm came the closest to inventing the interim smartphone between the Microsoft phones and the iPhone. At one point, Palm was the most prestigious phone you could own. So what happened? You tell me. The company essentially lost its vision or visionaries—or both. It lost its mojo. Once that happens, you're probably toast. The number of overall gaffes that company made could fill a book. This is a dead-end platform now owned by HP.
    He's right, PalmOS is a dead-end platform.

Good thing HP also got webOS out of the deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Ad hominem

But he defiantly doesn't sound like someone who has even tried the OS.
    It was supposed to be an attempt at humor. Guess it failed.
    It was kinda below the belt Mr. Trekker, I expected better from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It was kinda below the belt Mr. Trekker, I expected better from you.
    It's been one of those days. I'm tired of people ragging on webOS. I would delete the post, but since you quoted me, I guess it wouldn't make any difference.

But, you are right, it was below the belt. I deleted my original post. Who knows, maybe the author is a member of these forums.
    Last edited by Trekker; 10/05/2010 at 07:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    It's been one of those days. I'm tired of people ragging on webOS.
    Well at least it's calmed down since all those people who always have to have the "latest and greatest" smart phones left for the Droid... then the Epic... then came back... then went to Evo...
    John Dvorak has been in a bad mood since I first read his columns in PC Magazine in the 1980s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    But, you are right, it was below the belt. I deleted my original post. Who knows, maybe the author is a member of these forums.
    Quote removed as well.
  9.    #9  
    I find it funny that someone who writes for "PC" Magazine, is such an "Apple" iPhone Fan-boy.
    Last edited by PMac63; 10/06/2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: change words
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Dork-vac has always been an *****. None of his predictions have ever come true. I think he keeps his job by just being controversial.

Two major factual errors in that quote alone. PalmOS phones were not "interim" to WinMob and iPhone, they were directly competing with WinMob. Also, PalmOS is owned by Access, not HP. He seems to be lumping PalmOS and WebOS together as one entity.

A few examples of his wisdom:

He has over the years repeatedly declared the Mac dead. How'd that work out?

Here is his take on the iPad (now declared the fastest selling new tech product ever) earlier this year:
    "Jobs himself is a tech maven constantly looking for nifty new developments that he can employ in Apple products. Apparently when it comes to tablet computing, this is the best he can do. Insanely great it is not. [...] The tablet market has only succeeded as a niche market over the years and it was hoped Apple would dream up some new paradigm to change all that. From what I've seen and heard, this won't be it."
    Last edited by reidme; 10/06/2010 at 07:54 AM.
    The sad thing is that he is essentially right. Palm WAS the king of the smartphone world. Then they refused to move with the times, so the times moved past them. Now that they've got a platform that is once again cutting-edge, people refuse to look at them.

I just wouldn't call it a dead-end. Apparently a whole bunch of top-tier business analysts and engineers at the largest technology corporation in the world didn't think so either. Or maybe they let the intern decide, I dunno.

Consumerism has changed society in a couple of ways: people now identify themselves with the things they own. People now feel entitled to what they want, when they want it (but only in terms of consumer goods - they do not apply the same to, say, their political wishes). And people expect to consume a lot and therefore make much more short-term and short-sighted decisions than people a generation earlier would've. For my parents, a €1500 TV is an investment for a decade or two. They bought an LCD last year; their last TV was bought in 1992 I believe. OUR generation feels that a new, bigger, flashier TV is due every other year max.

This means that the current situation is very uncomfortable for Palm consumers. They are 'falling behind' with no way to have a tri-monthly hardware upgrade and stay with Palm. They are making up terrible scenarios where webOS is dead in the water with no hope for the future because right now nobody buys an almost two-year-old phone (if you count the CES2009 announcement) - naturally without considering the long-term development of a situation where I doubt very much that even 5% of current global mobile phone users own a smartphone because they are so used to living, or buying, from one day to the next.

I think webOS adoption rates will change a bit once every HP computer ships with webOS and win7 pre-installed and they are at the point where they'll release a new phone every three months to replace the appropriate model from about a year prior. What if that's only the case in late 2011? Well, I suppose then maybe 7% of the global market will have smartphones. For sure a smaller market for them to expand into, but I think they might still do it because THIS DECADE RIGHT HERE, 2010-2020 is going to be the defining decade for the mobile computing market, much like the time from 1985-1995 was the defining decade for the stationary computing market. And I do believe that HP has shown that they mean to be a strong contender in that segment.

Or, you know, HP could just say "dammit, we've lost, we just invested a couple billion into a web operating system to unify our brand under and into cloud services to back it up, but why put up a fight. We're tired. Here's a new iPaq with winMo classic, and here's a touchsmart PC with the old interface."
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 10/06/2010 at 07:52 AM.