Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I made a good run at it since launch but external factors are having me move on somewhat reluctantly to "the device that shall not be named".

Anyhow, I've got some good games on there and it's still a good device. Once deactivated, what can I use my Pre for?
    What worn't work?
    Will it still update over WiFi?
    Can I still buy apps?
    it's great for wifi . Or even a hotspot for other devices .

there is always metadoctor which will enable you to use the phone without a service plan. But seeing how it's activated already you should be good already.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/05/2010 at 09:23 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    I assume I can still use Preware and webOS updates OTA via wifi?
    With all these awesome developers, even a deactivated pre can do a lot. You'd be surprise. How great is the webos community..huh?
    great for downloading podcssts and playing games. basically an ipod touch with a keyboard.
    Not to mention how much battery life you'll get out of it now, since blood sucker no1 aka phone radio isn't needed anymore.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    You can still use it for everything except phone calls. Put it in Airplane Mode and turn on wifi to maximize battery life.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    it's great for wifi . Or even a hotspot for other devices .
    how would he make it work as a hotspot without 3g service? That would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    So i made the switch to the Epic a few weeks ago and my palm pre has been sitting on my desk since then. it still works although it is pretty beaten up.

i was wondering if anybody has any unique suggestions for uses for it even though i dont have cellular service on it. however, it still is able to connect to wifi.

thanks.
    Your Pre can still do everything except make phone calls. I've been using my Pre without service for about a year now. I still buy new apps and keep my phone updated to the latest webOS version. Airplane Mode + Wifi will give you great battery life.
    I suppose you could turn it into a little web/file server.
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    what's it good for?
    Absolutely nothin!
    Paperweight
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Paperweight
    That would be a waste. OP's phone is still basically fully functional.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    You can always Ebay.
    Retired my pre for an Epic. WebOS was good but the home brew community made it great. Thanks for all the hard work over the past year to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    how would he make it work as a hotspot without 3g service? That would be awesome.
    I'm scratching my head about this too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

Has anyone ever tried using the Palm Pre as a range extender? can you USE your wifi and then turn on mobile hot spot to push the range a little farther?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark.Funk View Post
    Has anyone ever tried using the Palm Pre as a range extender? can you USE your wifi and then turn on mobile hot spot to push the range a little farther?
    when you turn on the hotspot to broadcast, the ability for the phone to also connect as a wifi client is disabled. It needs a 3g connection to pass traffic from the mhs clent to the internet It can't do both at the same time. This is true for the vz mhs app. Not sure about freetether/mytether, so that is worth trying.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Ok so how do I get past the Profile Sign In page with the old phone to do anything? Do I create a new profile? I just want to access USB mode to clear everything out before I ship it back (got a refurb). Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast