Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is an odd one, well, for me anyway:

I charged my phone on the Touchstone base last night, as I always do and when it was charged, I took it off (that's another thread there - charge/finish charging/charge/finish charging bing bong, bing bong.... grr) and decided to run the batter monitor from 100%, just out of interest.

What was interesting was that the phone stayed put for 7 and a half hours and didn't really do anything and this was the battery state:

I restarted the battery monitor just before I left home on my commute to work and this was the battery state:

12% drain over 7 and a half hours while stationary and 5% drain over 1 hour while on the move - This strikes me as somewhat odd behaviour.

Is this just me - and has this already been covered? (I didn't know what terms to put in to search for this....)

Thanks

JTW
    Maybe the accelerometer is using up more batt power? Hmm..
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Maybe the accelerometer is using up more batt power? Hmm..
    Would that still be the case even if I'm not using any applications? The phone was sat on the car seat next to me doing nothing....
    If your switching towers, so it has to pick up a new signal, that would be expected. It would also happen if you have GPS or location services on.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    If your switching towers, so it has to pick up a new signal, that would be expected. It would also happen if you have GPS or location services on.
    I've turned off Location Services (I don't need or like them much anyway) and I never use GPS on the phone anyway (it is, I think, pretty poor anyway).

I'll see how that goes....
    The GPS is accurate for me, but I'm in a Sprint 4G area, so always have a great signal.
  7.    #7  
    The GPS is accurate for me, but I'm in a Sprint 4G area, so always have a great signal.
    I live very rurally - so home is either a GPRS or Edge connection - sometimes 3G depending on where I am in the Conservatory...
    And I almost forgot, so got back online to tell you...

If your phone is doing that on the Touchstone, then it isn't making the right contact. Try sticking a business card between the Pre and the Touchstone. One of the first Preware patches I installed was the one to turn that damn bonging off!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by james_tigerwoods View Post
    I live very rurally - so home is either a GPRS or Edge connection - sometimes 3G depending on where I am in the Conservatory...
    Yeah, my service was like that when I lived on the East Coast.
  10.    #10  
    And I almost forgot, so got back online to tell you...

If your phone is doing that on the Touchstone, then it isn't making the right contact. Try sticking a business card between the Pre and the Touchstone. One of the first Preware patches I installed was the one to turn that damn bonging off!!!
    Back up, back up - a preware patch that turns it off? Which one??

And I'll try that later....
    It's called Disable Charging Alert Sound!

It and the one that turns off the dialpad tones are my favorite patches!
  12.    #12  
    It's called Disable Charging Alert Sound!

It and the one that turns off the dialpad tones are my favorite patches!
    Done it and that makes me happy

Now all I need is 2 day battery life
    Thought you'd like knowing about it.

The only way I've gotten my battery to last that long is by turning almost everything off, with govnah at 600 and turning on data only when I wanted to check for new emails.
  14.    #14  
    Thought you'd like knowing about it.

The only way I've gotten my battery to last that long is by turning almost everything off, with govnah at 600 and turning on data only when I wanted to check for new emails.
    2 days is, clearly, unrealistic, but I'd like a battery to last more than 18 hours really - 12 hours life is not unusual.

I've not set Govnah to do much - it's at the default of 500 at the moment and data is always on....
    I tried it, because I was going to Bumbershoot at Seattle Center and knew I'd be out for the day, with no chance to charge. By setting my data off, since I knew only one person would be emailing me and he was off enjoying the music as much as I was, I got about 10 hours out of one battery.

Ha! Crank that kernel up, you'll learn to hate the stock speed. It can also improve battery life.
  16.    #16  
    ***** question - why would a higher CPU speed mean better battery life?
    I actually have no idea! LOL It just does.

In the testing kernels you can also adjust the voltage to improve battery life.

I have to go get some sleep now, or a bunch of people on here are going to come kick my assets!

Have a good one!
  18.    #18  
    I'll give it a go - Feel free to explain the voltage point at some stage too !

Thanks

James
    Quote Originally Posted by james_tigerwoods View Post
    One sure thing that kills my battery is when the phone needs to hunt around and ends up switching from 3g to 1x, and back and forth. This may be happening to you when you drive around since you say you live in rural area and your phone is not always on 3G. Your current drain while stationery is compatible with mine probably because when stationery your phone is not forced to hunt back and forth for 3G <> 1x.

To preserve battery for really long days, I use the mode switcher. I made a modified profile with 2 states:

State A: triggered by screen=off: 250Mhz; Data=off except for 5 min every 30 min.

State B: triggered by scree=on: 800Mhz; Data=on
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    One sure thing that kills my battery is when the phone needs to hunt around and ends up switching from 3g to 1x, and back and forth. This may be happening to you when you drive around since you say you live in rural area and your phone is not always on 3G. Your current drain while stationery is compatible with mine probably because when stationery your phone is not forced to hunt back and forth for 3G <> 1x.

To preserve battery for really long days, I use the mode switcher. I made a modified profile with 2 states:

State A: triggered by screen=off: 250Mhz; Data=off except for 5 min every 30 min.

State B: triggered by scree=on: 800Mhz; Data=on
    How have you set the States there? Using Govnah?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast