Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My battery is at 97%...And pretty much...I guess its better i leave it on than turn it off.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Did the same on my Pre. I shut it down, so my battery wouldn't die and it drained anyway.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    No, it doesn't make sense. The phone should not drain the battery at a higher rate when it's off (standby mode), yes there is still current draw but it should be much less than when the phone is on.

You may just have a bad battery. The first thing I would do would be to download the Dr. Battery app and then check the health and possibly calibrate it.

You can get more info from the Dr. Battery thread.
    I grabbed Dr. Battery, and it says my battery health is 95%. The phone is about 5.5 months old, so I guess that's not bad.
    It seems like everything you do on smart phones drains batt, even when not using the device. I just keep mine connect up to my wall charger at all times. That got rid of my batt problem. ^_^
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm experiencing similar battery drain, except in airplane mode - I have Battery Saver set up to go into airplane mode from midnight to 6:30am. About once a week, I wake up in the morning to find a completely drained battery. On the nights it doesn't die, I see only about 1-2% drain per hour. Dr. Battery says my battery health is 88%. What gives?
    it seems that we are all so accustomed to leaving our phones on the charger all night that we have missed the chance to experience overnight drain. I find that airplane mode gives very little drain but it's usylually only for an hour or two before it's back on.

for those seeing this overnight drain, are you using the patches that let you turn each radio on and off from the device menu? I'm asking because I've noticed that my data connection setting will sometimes get out of sync and stay on in airplane mode. Same with gps radio. Those two seem to be the biggest draw of power, so if they are on all night it would easily drain the battery.

once we are sure everything is off, maybe we an divide up testing overnight powered off, battery pulled, and airplane mode. If a person tests all three scenarios with the same battery, there wold be some sense of comparison between the results for that person.

of course, you have to own a spare battery or be able to live with a dead phone when you wake up.

I have a spare battery so I will try leaving it off the touchstone tonight to see what happens. Anyone else want to try? My guess is there is something drawing power even when powered down. That would be a really disappointing design flaw so I hope I am wrong.
    ps, make sure location services are turned off because it is a power hog. Seems to be worse inside as it must be constantly trying to find a satellite with no view of the sky?
    Uhmmm i thought letting your phone continuously charge kills the battery
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I believe the touchstone knows to stop charging. Batteries wear out with use, but I thought I read that the touchstone protected from overcharging.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    That's interesting. It never would have occurred to me that leaving location services on would drain the battery....but it makes perfect sense though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Uhmmm i thought letting your phone continuously charge kills the battery
    Most modern batteries have overcharge protection built in. For more info check out the following threads:

Find out how good/bad your battery is

Dr. Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I grabbed Dr. Battery, and it says my battery health is 95%. The phone is about 5.5 months old, so I guess that's not bad.
    You could always try calibrating it. The older the battery, the less accurate the "health" reads from all the charge/discharge cycles. What usually ends up happening is that once your battery drains to a certain percentage (example: 20%) it will suddenly drop to 0. This is a sign that the battery needs re-calibrated.

Once that's done, you won't get the sudden "death drop" anymore but the overall health will read lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I believe the touchstone knows to stop charging. Batteries wear out with use, but I thought I read that the touchstone protected from overcharging.
    It's not the touchstone but the overcharge protection of WebOS and the battery chip. The problem with leaving it on the touchstone is, that it always loops between charging and discharging. Charging to 100%, discharging to around 95% and charging to 100% and so on....
    A laptop will charge to 100%, stop charging and then run the device with the wall charger. I don't know why this is not implemented in the palm.
    It seems that the palm cannot run with the power from the wall charger (TS). It only can run from the battery?
    Since my battery was dead after 3/4 year I will now try to don't leave the palm on the TS all the time. I don't know if this helps. We'll see.
    I thought keeping as much of a charge as often as you can is better for the battery. I really wish someone would say for sure with backup.
    I thought so too, for lithium anyway.
    Just my thoughts. I also think it's good to charge it every time you can. But leave it at night on the TS and always charge/discharge? I really don't know.
    Would be good if there where some battery expert here.
    EDIT: Why does the Palm discharge while on the TS? Only Palm knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    It's not the touchstone but the overcharge protection of WebOS and the battery chip. The problem with leaving it on the touchstone is, that it always loops between charging and discharging. Charging to 100%, discharging to around 95% and charging to 100% and so on....
    A laptop will charge to 100%, stop charging and then run the device with the wall charger. I don't know why this is not implemented in the palm.
    It seems that the palm cannot run with the power from the wall charger (TS). It only can run from the battery?
    Since my battery was dead after 3/4 year I will now try to don't leave the palm on the TS all the time. I don't know if this helps. We'll see.

If you run it from the wall (not the TS) and have a full battery it seems to actually run off wall power when the screen if off. When the screen is on it seems to draw on some battery power. My test: I had it plugged in to the wall and pulled the battery out.

(edit) the above paragraph is wrong. pulling the battery always shutdown the phone after a second or two. i didn't wait long enough on the screen down test.(end edit)

A test to see if the battery or the Pre is the "drain while off" culprit. Check battery level at night. Power off the phone. Check the level the next morning. The next night you power off the phone and take out the battery. Check the level the next morning. If you have similar drains. Battery. If you have more drain when battery was in a shutdown Pre. The Pre is the problem (it isn't really shut down).

Warning ... Everything below is speculation.

My complaint about interrupts, phone not sleeping, and major battery drain seems to occur in other TI OMAP phones. I found an EVO complaint online with the same interrupt and drain issue as well.

If you take this thread (a draining battery even though the phone is OFF), complaints of timer events, etc. Could the problem be the TWL5030 board? If you take the main whines about Pre hardware where you rule out physical defects, many relate to this board.

For example: My phone has an uptime of 23:37 hours. And this is my hardware interrupts (if I have tracked the /proc/interrupts to /sys/devices/platform/ correctly and understand the system diagrams ... iffy I know):

5977183 interrupts from i2C for the TWL5030
    2108096 interrupts from HDQ battery monitor for the TWL5030
    3930433 interrupts from prcm for the TWL5030 (I'm guessing prcm is Power Reset Clock Manager)
    4373317 interrupts from gp timer (Don't know for sure if this uses the hardware timers on the TWL5030)

Those are really really high compared to the other hardware in the Pre. Right now I have no idea what this all means. Just some info to waste time on.
    Last edited by arrasmith; 10/05/2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    If you run it from the wall (not the TS) and have a full battery it seems to actually run off wall power when the screen if off. When the screen is on it seems to draw on some battery power. My test: I had it plugged in to the wall and pulled the battery out.
    Funny, I did the same test. The palm got complete disoriented. The log gets full of messages and the device got very sluggish. I know it's possible but I don't think the palm will run from the charger. EDIT: If battery inserted.
    I will make a test. You can easily see that in /var/log/messages.

EDIT: Interesting findings you got with your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Just my thoughts. I also think it's good to charge it every time you can. But leave it at night on the TS and always charge/discharge? I really don't know.
    Would be good if there where some battery expert here.
    EDIT: Why does the Palm discharge while on the TS? Only Palm knows.
    Although I haven't used "just" the charging cable in a long time, I think the phone behaves the same way when charging on the Touchstone or with just the cable plugged into the phone.

The battery reaches 100% charge, stops charging until it discharges to around 94%, starts charging again. This cycle repeats as long as the battery is being charged, either with the cable alone, or on the Touchstone. My understanding is that this is part of the overcharge protection. Charges until full, lets it discharge a little then tops it off again.

That is why the stock Pre battery meter will read 100% any time the "actual" percentage is between 94 and 100%. They didn't want people to get confused when they had their phone on the charger all night and wake up to find it at 94% and wonder why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Although I haven't used "just" the charging cable in a long time, I think the phone behaves the same way when charging on the Touchstone or with just the cable plugged into the phone.

The battery reaches 100% charge, stops charging until it discharges to around 94%, starts charging again. This cycle repeats as long as the battery is being charged, either with the cable alone, or on the Touchstone. My understanding is that this is part of the overcharge protection. Charges until full, lets it discharge a little then tops it off again.

That is why the stock Pre battery meter will read 100% any time the "actual" percentage is between 94 and 100%. They didn't want people to get confused when they had their phone on the charger all night and wake up to find it at 94% and wonder why.
    I think the same. But why not use the method they use with laptops?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast