Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Given that Hot Spot is free on Verizon for the Pre/Pixi, will they continue to do that with new device, or is it solely a promotional thing for only the Pre/Pixi?
    Palm Pre Plus on Verizon || I blog at butr.net
    Verizon plans to consign unlimited data plans to the annals of history over the next four to six months, to be replaced by tiered, consumption-based pricing. With this announcement they may keep the free Hot Spot in lieu of hitting you on the amount of data you use.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Verizon plans to consign unlimited data plans to the annals of history over the next four to six months, to be replaced by tiered, consumption-based pricing. With this announcement they may keep the free Hot Spot in lieu of hitting you on the amount of data you use.
    Thats what Ive always thought would happen eventually. Scrap all hot spot and tethering charges in lieu of tiered data packages. They will get theirs one way or another.
    i doubt it will be free. i also expect the data plans to be limited in some fashion so that apps like freetether can't provide a loophole.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    Thats what Ive always thought would happen eventually. Scrap all hot spot and tethering charges in lieu of tiered data packages. They will get theirs one way or another.
    This makes complete sense. They will make every possible way that you can consume data be free. The problem, for us, is that data consumption will not be unlimited. Therefore you pay for the data as you go. Imagine those guys consuming 40 - 50GB in a tiered data rate plan, that won't be happening anymore (no matter which carrier you are on).
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    So if you're locked into a contract or a plan with Verizon with free Hot Spot, they won't be able to change that, right?
    Palm Pre Plus on Verizon || I blog at butr.net
    Quote Originally Posted by barkins View Post
    So if you're locked into a contract or a plan with Verizon with free Hot Spot, they won't be able to change that, right?
    right. another good reason to really take good care of your current webOS phone...
    wonder how this will pan out.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    "So if you're locked into a contract or a plan with Verizon with free Hot Spot, they won't be able to change that, right?"

I hope that's the case. Verizon's been good about honoring my legacy Alltel plan through two upgrades where they could have easily forced me into a new Verizon plan, so I have faith that they will honor the plan I have in place currently.
    Verizon is pretty good about honoring legacy plans as long as you don't purchase subsidized devices.

As for the free mobile hotspot, can't really say how that will work out in the future. Device specific services don't always end up translating through to new devices. Plus I don't know that there is anywhere in the user contract that actually requires Verizon to keep the MHS free even if you stay on a legacy contract. The future cost for MHS is probably going to depend on the contract Verizon has with H/Palm.
    verizon will never force you off an existing rate plan. they get you when you change phones. often they make the new plans cheaper, but it is your option as long as you use your existing phone.