1.    #1  
    All,

Just got a Palm Pre. First thing I did was overclock it to 1ghz. Now it's time to understand the device!

If I want to have the email application open, do I have to keep that card open at all times? I see that I can receive SMS without having the messenger application open.

What about the Calendar? I would like to receive meeting notifications while at work. Do I need to keep this card open?

Thanks,
    Dan
    You do not need to keep cards open for applications to do what is referred to as 'polling'

meaning, if you set a notification, or if someone sends you an email, text, facebook notification, the card does not have to be open, that app will check in the background if there is a new email or notification.

The more email addresses, IM services etc that you having 'polling' for notifications, the more battery you will consume in idle though, even if the app isnt open. Just so you arent wondering why your battery drains in 3 hours when you have 7 email addresses and 5 different IM accounts logged in...lol

Short answer: if an app needs to get your attention in some way, its been designed to run in the background even when the card is swiped off the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    You do not need to keep cards open for applications to do what is referred to as 'polling'

meaning, if you set a notification, or if someone sends you an email, text, facebook notification, the card does not have to be open, that app will check in the background if there is a new email or notification.

The more email addresses, IM services etc that you having 'polling' for notifications, the more battery you will consume in idle though, even if the app isnt open. Just so you arent wondering why your battery drains in 3 hours when you have 7 email addresses and 5 different IM accounts logged in...lol

Short answer: if an app needs to get your attention in some way, its been designed to run in the background even when the card is swiped off the screen.
    I think the correct term is "push" notifications
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    I think the correct term is "push" notifications
    No, push notifications are something different.

Push notifications is when the server end sends a request to your phone to update a notification.

Polling is when your phone has to do the work to constantly ask the server if you have new notifications.

Polling is more CPU intensive on the phone end, and thus push notifications are better, but not many server systems use push notifications yet.

An example of push notifications is "Gmail", by setting your Pre to "as items arrive" (as opposed to polling eveery hour or whatever) in the email app for gmail, you are making the server do all the work in giving your Pre updates on emails, and thus saving battery life on your end.
    Quote Originally Posted by danbucholtz View Post
    Just got a Palm Pre. First thing I did was overclock it to 1ghz. Now it's time to understand the device!
    Lol, you should have done device understanding - then overclocking...but to each it's own. Anyway, as the forum members as stated above > there is no need to have any card open for notifications.

Ps. Don't you know that you have one of the best smart phone around.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Ps. Don't you know that you have one of the best smart phone around.
    Correction: with patches, homebrew apps and overclocking you have one of the best smartphones around!

Then when WebOS 2.0 drops in November, combined with homebrew, you will have the best smartphone around.
    The notifications and how they are done, without having to have an application open, are one of the best features of WebOS!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  8.    #8  
    Excellent. I noticed this today when I received a few emails. Great guys, thanks for the warm welcome!