Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't believe that.
    Member arrasmith has problems getting help with a strange problem.
    He said:
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    The specific response was that Palm let Sprint know that if you "root" your phone and install applications outside of the catalog path it voided the warranty. I'll fire off Palm an email to check. But, I wouldn't be surprised if there are two lines. One for the Sprint Stores and a different line for people who push a little harder. Saves Palm money that way.

OR, maybe more likely, Sprint wants to sell insurance and collect the extra $100 on top of that you have to pay to get a replacement.
    This is the opposite of everything I've read before.
    Story here.
    Yes if you do something that changes what is bought they do not have to honor the warranty. For me this was fine for my stock phone. My warranty runs out from the original 10/12 but because I had a replacement phone I believe that is now 11/30 (90 days on the replacement).

So after 11/30 I may venture and try the Preware and stuff that everyone seems to love because I'll be eligible for my upgrade and can get a new phone by that point.
    preware doesn't void the warranty.

webOS has built in the capability to add applications that are not in the Palm catalog.

that's also why Palm offers webOS Doctor. to return the phone to a factory-fresh install.
    I guess I was referring to the things like themes etc.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    preware doesn't void the warranty.

webOS has built in the capability to add applications that are not in the Palm catalog.

that's also why Palm offers webOS Doctor. to return the phone to a factory-fresh install.
    This is what I know. The only thing voiding warranty would be installing an oc kernel.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    I guess I was referring to the things like themes etc.
    Not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    This is what I know. The only thing voiding warranty would be installing an oc kernel.
    if he doctors the phone there is no trace of overclocking.
  8.    #8  
    Sure we know that. But why hiding. Even the palm employee are using preware.
    Thank ya'll for the correcting of my mistake!

I still won't do anything to my phone until after 11/30. I'm chicken.
    For the most part, if your Pre is under warranty, and has a problem, they dont even really look at the phone, they just replace it.

I have my phone patched and hombrewed to the max. When I first brought it in to a local Sprint Affiliate (not corporate Sprint Store) to have the power button repaired, they said, they will just replace the phone.

I did not want it replaced, it was only have that button fixed.

I went to a real (Corporate) Sprint store, and they just took it, and fixed the power button in about 20 mins and returned it the same patched, prewared, homebrewed, themed way I handed it to them.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

@dianehelen ...

Your experience is probably the "don't ask don't tell" option. They only needed to replace the button (an obvious physical problem), so they just didn't ask about homebrew stuff. And they ignored it if they saw it.

For me I had to explain my power drain issue and why I though it was a hardware issue. Which is an obvious "Hey I'm running opensource apps, which is why I think the problem is blah blah". And the answer for me was: "We don't know if YOU broke the phone or if it broke because of Palm" (all paraphrased obviously).
    even after your warranty is up after the 1 year you will still get a replacment at no cost if you have an OS issue . just had mine replaced after it started touching itself all over the screen .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    after it started touching itself all over the screen .

OK. I'll leave the obvious joke alone.
    Untrue. Palm gets a daily log specifying, among other things, the installed kernel version. As far as I know, this is not affected by the logging patches that are out there, although I'll gladly be corrected on this.

If, like me, you've got an OC Kernel installed, you'd best assume that Palm knows exactly what you're running, probably down to more details than you yourself know.

<edit> that said, everything other than overclocking is cool with Palm, and a couple of their spokespeople are on record as saying so.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 10/01/2010 at 07:27 PM.
    makes me wonder what their new models (if they exist) will be clocked at stock.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If, like me, you've got an OC Kernel installed, you'd best assume that Palm knows exactly what you're running, probably down to more details than you yourself know.
    That is true and sad. The average user will just install Preware and any apps they find interesting. They don't know what LInux is, all the things they could do, and they really don't care. But, that doesn't change the fact they will be spending $100+ for hardware and $1700+ for phone plans. All for something that Sprint and Palm act like the user doesn't own.

And those who DO know should push for everyone's rights as owners. We don't rent our phones. We own them. I can't imagine Dell voiding their warranty if I install an OS, kernel, or application that they don't like.

So are phone makers going to go the way of computer manufacturers or will it go the other way?
    I 'guaranty if you install preware' that you will have a whole new phone experience realizing the previous phone (original state) was just a taste of what's to come... Get ready to re-love your Pre all over again.

I have had 10 replacements for various reason. Software never came up as an issue, & every phone was jacked up, rooted, over-sizzled, and warm & fuzzy. (its late guys...)
    @arrasmith;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20014356-37.html

Its coming! (twilight sound plays as Palm zaps your phone......)
    i didnt read all of this but i took my pre to a sprint store and when the ******** saw the developer mode icon they refuse to help me period.... so i called sprint and they sent me a replacement
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    That is true and sad. The average user will just install Preware and any apps they find interesting. They don't know what LInux is, all the things they could do, and they really don't care. But, that doesn't change the fact they will be spending $100+ for hardware and $1700+ for phone plans. All for something that Sprint and Palm act like the user doesn't own.

And those who DO know should push for everyone's rights as owners. We don't rent our phones. We own them. I can't imagine Dell voiding their warranty if I install an OS, kernel, or application that they don't like.

So are phone makers going to go the way of computer manufacturers or will it go the other way?
    I am guessing you have never really modified a car under warranty. I seriously don't understand where some peoples misconceptions come from. If you modify a device under warranty, if the modification can be shown to cause damage, you can void that part of your warranty. It is part of the game modifying ANYTHING you "own." You don't own the warranty (the manufacturer and/or seller does).

This all varies by what modifications you did, the root of your warranty request, and the person/people you are dealing with. This is in regards to ANY warranty replacement you EVER do in your life. BTW, you can void a computer warranty by cracking the case and installing a new card in it (assuming you aren't an authorized tech).

I am so freaking amazed how people bury their heads in the sand and expect their hands to be held by the manufacturer that sold you a product with a warranty to THEIR specifications.

Sorry if that all seams harsh to anyone in this thread, but it IS REALITY. This is the real world, it has nothing to do with Palm/Sprint/HP/etc, every product you purchase is the same.

To clarify, if you OC, even if you Dr. you have voided the warranty on your processor (and as was said, Palm can see if you OC'd, just as they can see what apps you have installed including homebrew and dev apps). Technically, PreWare doesn't void your warranty, but if you do something with Preware (or other homebrew software) that breaks your phone beyond your ability to repair on your own, the manufacturer or seller doesn't have to honor your warranty. I say that last part meaning, you install software that is not official and you bork something that you can't bring back, you are not guaranteed support to fix your problem.

I say all that with the information that the wife and I have been running our Pre's since within the first week of purchase with some form of patching on it. Started out with just a few "tweaks" from WebOSQI, themes shortly after, then Preware, the UK, etc. Been a few days short of a year now and we haven't even had to Dr once (knock on wood), this includes me borking a few theme uninstalls in that first month (figured out how to fix that the within the same hour). So once again, had I truly messed things up, I would have read more until I figured it out..... knowing I could Dr. the phone back to factory image is what let me not worry about learning something I didn't know. I did not expect Palm and/or Sprint support to assist me in these adventures, if you don't read instructions, if you don't know how to search our help and information and if you don't have some level of confidence.... then DON'T DO IT the manufacturer owes you nothing beyond the explicit warranty that comes with the product.

/RANT
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast