Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I flipped out my keyboard on my Pre and the icons in the launcher weren't working. I then noticed a small fracture extending from the bottom of the screen. Then all of a sudden other fractures started appearing in a fan-shape. Now the bottom 1/3 of the touchscreen is completely inoperable and is actually producing phantom taps. And the gesture area is lighting up even when I don't touch it.

I didn't drop the phone or knock it in any way. Literally within seconds all of these fractures appeared. I'm just dumbfounded. This is my 3rd Pre, so I'm kinda used to hardware issues, but this one is definitely new.

I'm going to take it into Sprint and hopefully they'll replace it. I just hope they don't think I dropped a hammer on it. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    pic?
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    They will replace it. At least they should. It's a known defect. Just make sure you keep a good tone with the rep. If they fight back a bit, make sure they know you're aware that this has been a problem & is a manufacturing issue.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    pic?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    They will replace it. At least they should. It's a known defect. Just make sure you keep a good tone with the rep. If they fight back a bit, make sure they know you're aware that this has been a problem & is a manufacturing issue.
    Is this a known issue? Is there another thread on here talking about this issue?

6.    #6  
    You can't see it too well in the photo I posted, but the fractures are actually getting worse. The one in the middle now extends almost all the way up the screen. And there's another one that extends from the bottom-center of the screen to the left-center of the screen.

I'll see if I can track this down. It was a big deal a few weeks after launch....happened to a bunch of Pre devices.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-screen.html

Take a look at the pics from June 2009 at the top of the thread....look familiar???
  9.    #9  
    Now the touchscreen is completely dead. Just a few minutes ago, I could use the top-half of it.

Well hopefully the Sprint folks can help me out. It'll be my 4th Pre now. Each one has had separate issues:

1) Headphone jack stuck on
    2) Power switch broken, battery stopped charging, center button broken
    3) Touchscreen fracturing
    Last edited by DanPLC; 09/30/2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling error

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-screen.html

Take a look at the pics from June 2009 at the top of the thread....look familiar???
    Yeah it sure does. If I could bring up the PreCentral site on my Pre, I'd show this forum thread to the Sprint guy when I bring it in.

anyone know what causes the growing fracture?! do they (palm, verizon, sprint) not cover it claiming user abuse?!
    I had a buddy who had this happen with a Sprint Pre, but he didn't even try with Sprint. Called Palm support after visiting the forums & seeing the common defects. Palm shipped him another one. I think this issue is ultimately why the button no longer exists on the 'Plus' models.
    good point!
  14.    #14  
    I think I should at least try with Sprint first. But I know it probably won't go well.

yeah, i say start with carrier and them move to manufacturer. still under warranty? have insurance?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    yeah, i say start with carrier and them move to manufacturer. still under warranty? have insurance?
    I have insurance, but that would still cost me $100. I would guess it's not under warranty since I purchased my original one over a year ago.

my first phone did this in the first 30 days. I believe it's a known issue. Go to a corporate owned sprint store if possible.. Better service and more options.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    man I seriously hope they make this right for you and replace the phone for free... you deserve it, for sure! You and your app have most definitely added to their phone, no question.
    vidRohan | pacificprogress.us

Palm Pre 1.4.5
    Sprint
    UberKernel 250/1000 screenstate
    Music Player Remix 2.0
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vidrohan View Post
    man I seriously hope they make this right for you and replace the phone for free... you deserve it, for sure! You and your app have most definitely added to their phone, no question.
    Thanks...I hope so. They never gave me any issues for the other phones I had to replace, so hopefully this one will go smoothly too.

we hope too, would be shame if a great dev like you would have to think of investing his money again in the pre-minus.

Well perhaps also Palm is willing to help out with a free device: http://www.precentral.net/hey-webos-...-free-pre-plus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast