Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No biggie, just seen your post. One of my many palm pre's had that problem before, Palm is aware of the problem that can be cause by the round silver button on the palm pre's.

If they(Sprint) refuse to replace the device..for whatever reason > contact Hp|Palm and discuss your problem with them.

Best of luck. :-)
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    we hope too, would be shame if a great dev like you would have to think of investing his money again in the pre-minus.

Well perhaps also Palm is willing to help out with a free device: http://www.precentral.net/hey-webos-...-free-pre-plus
    For any other electronic device, I would be ditching it after 3 strikes. Regardless of how much I like webOS, having to replace the hardware every few months really sucks.

But I am tied to it right now due to my development work, and also I am reliant on my two apps. I use them on a daily basis and it would be hard to not have them.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    No biggie, just seen your post. One of my many palm pre's had that problem before, Palm is aware of the problem that can be cause by the round silver button on the palm pre's.

If they(Sprint) refuse to replace the device..for whatever reason > contact Hp|Palm and discuss your problem with them.

Best of luck. :-)
    I'm glad I'm aware of the problem now. I'll try not to use the center button anymore.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Just a note that starting Nov. 1st Sprint will no longer handle manufacture warrenties on any phones after the initial 30 days of ownership. Rep told me that manufactures have been failing to reimburse Sprint for repairs and exchanges.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Just a note that starting Nov. 1st Sprint will no longer handle manufacture warrenties on any phones after the initial 30 days of ownership. Rep told me that manufactures have been failing to reimburse Sprint for repairs and exchanges.
    I'll definitely be going before Nov 1st!

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    My screen fractured from the side, by the usb slot (which i've seen referred to as the "usb-door-crack"). I got one replaced in june and it started on the new (refurb) one within 2 months. When I took it back to the same store, I was told that the usb-door-crack is not recognized by palm or sprint as a manufacturing defect...but that they ARE aware and acknowledging the spider-type cracks that start by the gesture button...doesn't help me but hopefully helps you.

...and for the record, i went to 2 other stores and was told basically the same thing - so i called sprint a few times and finally got a rep to supposedly notate my account that i should be issued a replacement....i am taking my phone in today so i'll believe it when i see it
    ~P.Sout
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by econdor View Post
    My screen fractured from the side, by the usb slot (which i've seen referred to as the "usb-door-crack"). I got one replaced in june and it started on the new (refurb) one within 2 months. When I took it back to the same store, I was told that the usb-door-crack is not recognized by palm or sprint as a manufacturing defect...but that they ARE aware and acknowledging the spider-type cracks that start by the gesture button...doesn't help me but hopefully helps you.

...and for the record, i went to 2 other stores and was told basically the same thing - so i called sprint a few times and finally got a rep to supposedly notate my account that i should be issued a replacement....i am taking my phone in today so i'll believe it when i see it
    Thanks that helps.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    No prob...Good Luck!

Btw, thank you for what you've done with the 'remix' - it is amazing! IMO it should be the standard player in webOS.
    ~P.Sout
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I took a Pre in to Sprint a couple weeks ago for usb port cracks and they replaced it without even looking at it. I may be in the minority but I've only used the center button a handful of times in a year of ownership. Swiping is easier.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    I took a Pre in to Sprint a couple weeks ago for usb port cracks and they replaced it without even looking at it. I may be in the minority but I've only used the center button a handful of times in a year of ownership. Swiping is easier.
    Trust me...I won't be using the center button anymore. I'm not sure if using it caused this issue, but I'm not risking it.

I've had to replace 4 (yes, FOUR) pre's for this issue.

The trick is to call the palm corporate number:

407-531-4496

Just stay on the line, dont press anything, that should get you to a Representative. Tell them what happened, and that it is a known defect. There is an EXTENSIVE thread on this issue on palms forums (the biggest post on their forums). Palm Pre Screen Cracked - Page 17 - Palm Support Community

It's 39 pages long!

Here is a post from there that will help you:

Sprint continued to be worthless in all of this; I visited several stores and a service center. I finally called Palm at their 407-531-4496 number. It gives you two choices ... don't respond to either .... just stay on the line (it took about 5 minutes). It was eventually answered by a higher level 'customer satisfaction' individual who was very helpful and seemed genuinely interested in solving the problem, getting feedback, etc. There were two options, one was that they would immediately send a new (or refurbished) phone directly to me, with an attachment on a bank account, which they would cancel when they received the defective phone. The alternative was to send the phone pre-paid to their service center with hopeful turn-around of about a week. I selected that since I will be on the road anyhow. Fortunately I was able to quickly re-activate my former Palm Centro so I have e-mail and phone capability until the replacement arrives. By e-mail they sent detailed return instructions, etc. and a service request number. He said that the replacement (or repaired) phone will have the remaining 1 year warranty coverage attached to it ... should there be further problems. He was careful in his words, but it is clear that this is a well-understood issue.
    This -will- work, and with absolutely no fuss. They recognize it's a known defect of the sprint pre and they will replace your phone for free. Take it from me, I spent -way- to much time fighting sprint on this before I discovered the palm corporate route - just call palm for an easy and friendly experience that wont make you want to switch carriers immediately or punch someone in the face.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'll definitely be going before Nov 1st!
    Thats the easiest but you can also call Palm directly. They have always been easy to deal with for me.
    How does Palm respond even if your warranty is up?
    Come play with my Twitter.
    My screen fractured last week in exactly the same way. It seemed to fan out from the center button. I had it replaced through asurion with a refurb that is oreo-ing as the sprint store was totally out of stock. I think I might contact Palm directly now that I've seen this thread and ask if they would consider sending me a non-refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    can someone post pictures? this would be worth seeing
    There's pics on page 1. It's -exactly- what happened to 4 of my pre's.

Palm will replace them, no issues, no worries. Just call them as I detailed above. Nobody should ever spend cash on a replacement for this particular known defect.

My first pre grew an NBC peacock 5 days after I bought it (just a bit after launch) while sitting on the counter charging -completely- untouched. My second pre came in the mail a few days later and had a shattered touchscreen a mere 33 days later, this time it happened while it was sitting on the touchscreen on my desk. My third pre was an obvious refurb and had massive oreo problems and could barely slide open/closed (was a definite 2-hander).Thankfully, it shattered it's screen too not much later, probably in part due to the difficulty in opening it causing harder-than-usual pressure on the button area. I got to watch this one happen - I was using the phone and hit the button to open up the launcher and wham, peacock. The fourth pre shattered while sitting in my pouch in my pocket during a meeting. I made a call, went into the meeting, came out, went to make another call, had a broken touchscreen. No rhyme or reason.

My fifth pre has been amazing though.

Last edited by ncinerate; 10/01/2010 at 12:34 PM.
    oops, sorry.
  17.    #37  
    Yeah the picture I posted is in the first page of the thread, but it really doesn't do it justice. There are 6 fractures fanning out from the bottom-center of the screen. One fracture extends well above the half-way point of the screen. This was the first one I noticed last night.

I'm going to try going to the Sprint repair store tomorrow. If they won't replace it, I'll try calling the Palm corporate number posted in this thread. You think they'll replace the phone with a new C40/Pre2? Now that would be great!

18.    #38  
    Not having a working phone really, really sucks. I realized that today when somebody called me and I couldn't press the "Accept" button. I can actually get the top-half of the touchscreen to work for a few seconds after the screen comes on, but then it stops working. But the bottom-half won't work at all. So I can't view any of my notifications...I can't answer the phone... I can't load up the Launcher. The only thing I can do is use universal search to type in an app name...then I have to turn the display on and off to get taps to register in the top-half of the screen.

try opening the slider when a call comes in... sorry about your phone!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    try opening the slider when a call comes in... sorry about your phone!
    Oooh, I'll try that!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast