1.    #1  
    First time posting, long time reading. I have been reading through several posts about the quality of the Pre and I have to say that mine does not fit any of those descriptions. My Pre is a tank. A beast of a machine that has withstood tackles and pretty much a drop every other day.

Back in May I was tackled by 4 cops( a story for another day) and I hit the floor hard. I had my Pre on a holster and it hit hard. The next day, once I was out, I was able to check my phone and it had survived. It did have a piece above the volume buttons come off but it has not affected anything. The screen is still beautiful!

Also, I have such butter fingers. I don't if it's the small size of the phone in my hands or its smoothness, but I drop this phone like no tomorrow, even flat on its face, but I have yet to crack it. Don't get me wrong, it has dings and scratches (I dropped on gravel like cement) but it keeps on trucking. I don't know, I love my Pre and its toughness. I would love new hardware like everyone else, but not because my hardware sucks, I just want something new!!
    mines a tank also
  3.    #3  
    Yeah-- my keyboard still works great, oreo effect is whatever. It is just a great phone. I got it in November so go figure.
    Mine has been bullet proof from the beginning as well. Yesterday it took a fall, that as it was headed toward the concrete - I was already planning how to get by the rest of the day without a phone... but, it is still alive.

I feel bad for the people that have had problems - but I wouldn't change a thing in terms of design... just some hardware features.
    ironically your phone was tough like tank when they hauled you off to the tank.
  6.    #6  
    LMAO!!! Yeah it was pretty ironic. When we came out, we were pretty beat up but still looking and working good!
    Ive dropped mine a bunch of times too. Looking at the phone you would never know.
    Plastic screen scratches easily, but at least it doesn't shatter.....

There really is something to industrial plastic instead of glass.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    now it's time for the rest of the story.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saviressej View Post
    Also, I have such butter fingers. I don't if it's the small size of the phone in my hands or its smoothness, but I drop this phone like no tomorrow, even flat on its face, but I have yet to crack it. Don't get me wrong, it has dings and scratches (I dropped on gravel like cement) but it keeps on trucking. I don't know, I love my Pre and its toughness. I would love new hardware like everyone else, but not because my hardware sucks, I just want something new!!
    Are you using a touchstone back? They have a little more traction than the original back.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  11.    #11  
    No, I am not using a touchstone back. Yeah the Pre is sure slippery. As for the other part of my story...

My wife and I were at a bar in Old Town Pasadena. The place was closing, the light had gone on, when all of a sudden a huge fight broke out. Glasses, bottles, and a lot of other things were thrown around. My wife and I, and everybody else not involved in the fight, quickly tried to find our way out of the bar. We were already by the door when I turned back to see in the bar to see what was going on with the fight. When I turned around again my wife was holding her face, specifically, she was rubbing her mouth and eyes. The police were trying to enter and one of the officers decided to spray pepper spray into the crowd. Well, my wife got most of it in the face. Kind a hard to explain but by this point I was at the doorway and the officer was in back. I turned around and asked him why did he spray my wife. He just stared back without saying much. I asked him 2 more times. I must have frustrated him because I kept on asking him when he suddenly reached out and grabbed me by shirt in a very aggressive manner. This instantly shocked and surprised me and I kind of stepped back in surprise. All of a sudden I had 4 officers on me, kicking, elbowing and punching me. I had no idea what was going on and in order to protect myself I kind of did like a standing up fetal position. Finally, I fell to the floor and I was booked for resisting arrest. It was crazy. I am fighting the charges.
    Dude, I love this thread. I have a launch Pre from Jun. 2009. I've dropped the shiz out of it on a regular basis. I'd say at least 50 times, and of those 50, at least 5 that I truly thought would be fatal. I have a screen protector (BodyGuardz) and have zero screen scratches.

I also feel for those who have had serious issues, but post after post, day after day, I find it harder & harder to relate to those who say it's a piece of carp (carp for the woot!'ers out there). Tank indeed.

Oh, and for some reason it took your thread, just now, to spark this next thought: I feel compelled to point out that several of my associates have dropped & cracked iPhones & various other mobile devices here at the office...I've made the same drops. Pre survives though....funny b/c most of them use "it feels cheap & plasticy" as an excuse for not switching to the Pre. I've admittedly agreed with them most of the time......but now I'm re-thinking that completely. I think I'll now name my Pre....Frank.
  13.    #13  
    Frank the TANK!!! That's awesome! I am telling you this thing is tough! I don't have a screen protector or anything. Just yesterday I put on a hard case on the phone. It gave it a better grip, but lo and behold, I dropped it again, right on it's face.

I know what you mean, I read post after post and then I look at my phone and I just shrug my shoulders.
    My pre is also a tank - took a fall from 4 feet onto a concrete patio the other day - landed on the seido extended battery back, bounced / flipped and landed again on the front screen. The corners of the seido back are a little chipped - but other than that, nothing. screen is beautiful (has screen protector) and works like a champ. And that's not the first time I've dropped it.
    I have one tank and one not-so-tanky Pre. The latter is developing hairline fratures near the gesture area...are there any removable full-body skinz out there?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I have one tank and one not-so-tanky Pre. The latter is developing hairline fratures near the gesture area...are there any removable full-body skinz out there?
    Whoa!!! That's a great idea!!! My wife asked me that the other day and I ignored her.
    zagg.com makes full - body skins. check with bestbuy cuz they have been blowing them out for about $5 each!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by saviressej View Post
    Whoa!!! That's a great idea!!! My wife asked me that the other day and I ignored her.
    Hehe. Gesture area never sounded so double etendre-ish before.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Hehe. Gesture area never sounded so double etendre-ish before.
    LOL
    My wife is a tank.
    lol

Just kidding... I have not wife.
    Sorry about your wife though. Damn cops.

P.S. I've only dropped my Pre once on a carpet floor... would never want it to fall on concrete