Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    If you can get WebOS-QuickInstall to connect you have access to the whole filesystem of the pre. You can save some database files where this info is stored in. Restoring it on the same device at the same version is safe.
    Like I said ill try when i get home (in 5.5 hours) but if my phone resets 10 secs into even turning it on, it's doubtful I will be able to access it.
    You wouldn't have to boot the phone in that sense. You should be able to put it in USB mode by holding down something while turning it on, and a USB symbol will appear on the screen.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Funk,

I think you'll be pleased after doctoring. Most everything on usb drive (photos, music) will still be there. You just log into your Palm account & into Google & other accounts. You will lose very little!

Good Luck!!!

BLiip
    This exact situation has happened to multiple people, myself included, multiple times. USB mode will likely work for accessing what's on the phone currently, and WebOS Doctor will almost assuredly work perfectly.

I have done the Doctor with this exact situation multiple times myself, this is the exact situation that the WebOS Doctor is designed to fix.
    NO NO NO you take out the battery Then you put it back in hold down the Volume up button while doing that plug it in to your computer the USB logo then pops up...
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    When you doctor, you dont lose any of your contacts, apps, or memos. Those are backed up. You do lose: music, pics, and stuff like that. Those can be backed up on your computer when you enter USB mode. I can assure you that your phone isn't "bricked." It just needs doctored.

Your contacts are backed up with your Palm Profile, along with a lot of other stuff. So, in short, you wont have to redownload any of your apps, or redo any of your contacts. You may have to resync them together, which can be a pain if you have a lot of them. The most you will have to do is update your phone (depending on which doctor you use). Just retype in your passwords, and you'll be good to go!
    Last edited by Xx Spaced xX; 09/30/2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Stoopid mistake.
    Admiration is the furthest emotion away from understanding.

Lou Holtz loves slurpies!
    I think you've got that backwards! The doctor completely redoes your phone, it's the USB portion that it doesn't touch. Otherwise the doctor wouldn't work to fix anything!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I think you've got that backwards! The doctor completely redoes your phone, it's the USB portion that it doesn't touch. Otherwise the doctor wouldn't work to fix anything!
    Ahhh! Thanks! Stupid me. I was typing that at work in a hurry. Killing time!
    Admiration is the furthest emotion away from understanding.

Lou Holtz loves slurpies!
  9.    #29  
    ok so I connected my phone and did as you said -- the DR disconnects at 9% saying something about missing drivers

does this thing work with windows 7 X64 ? im on bell
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    This exact situation has happened to multiple people, myself included, multiple times. USB mode will likely work for accessing what's on the phone currently, and WebOS Doctor will almost assuredly work perfectly.

I have done the Doctor with this exact situation multiple times myself, this is the exact situation that the WebOS Doctor is designed to fix.
    You don't understand -- i can get into the dr fine -- but it d/c's me while doctoring... something to do about drivers...

it won't work with windows 7 x64
  11.    #31  
    so apparently it IS possible to brick your pre -- there are other people with this same problem (i.e. the phone rebooting by itself when dr.'ing at around 8 or 9 %) -- it just reboots and the logo reappears over and over and it d/c's itself from the dr

I thought this phone was un brick able ?
    find a pc with 32bit windows....
    Here are the complete instructions for recovery. I hope it helps.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Here are the complete instructions for recovery. I hope it helps.
    At 4%, the screen changes to the palm logo
    At 9%, the screen changes to a big arrow pointing down to an integrated circuit

At 8% my phone goes from palm logo to resetting the phone (loops back to reset)

So that's my issue: i can't get past 8%
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    At 4%, the screen changes to the palm logo
    At 9%, the screen changes to a big arrow pointing down to an integrated circuit

At 8% my phone goes from palm logo to resetting the phone (loops back to reset)

So that's my issue: i can't get past 8%
    According to the wiki, "Short of hardware damage, it should not be possible to "brick" a Pre."

I would suggest repeating the steps until it works. If after multiple attempts fail, the next step is this: Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

16.    #36  
    According to the wiki, "Short of hardware damage, it should not be possible to "brick" a Pre."

I would suggest repeating the steps until it works. If after multiple attempts fail, the next step is this: Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals
    I am not sure .. i thought it was hard ware damage ... but i was using it this morning fine... my buddy activated my phone from his bell store... i put the battery in and turned it on... and it kept repeating on the logo ... so i decided to doctor ... and now i can't even freakin doctor ... it resets phone at 8% ...

i am super upset..

maybe its a driver issue im hoping... im on X64
    From what you've described, it doesn't sound like hardware damage. Just be patient and keep trying. Make sure you follow all the steps.

18.    #38  
    From what you've described, it doesn't sound like hardware damage. Just be patient and keep trying. Make sure you follow all the steps.
    I totally have - installed all the correct X64 drivers
    i can get to all the steps and then it resets

here look at this thread they all have the exact same symptoms as me:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2687881

specifically these two posts:

1) "This happened to me a few weeks ago, I tried everything to no avail. I'm also using Win7 64bit. I had done a Dr before without issues. I finally called Sprint tech support and they gave up and sent me a replacement, just couldn't bring that bugger back to life."

2) "Apparently, there is no current solution for this problem. I've heard of resorting to the WebOS Doctor 1.2.1. To anyone reading this thread, I would advise you to just get a replacement or reflash from your carrier assuming you have correctly tried the Recovery Mode multiple times.

Interesting enough, the victims run into a driver corruption. WebOS Doctor stopped support for this after 1.2.1 strangely. Just my take on what I'm told."
    Hi... win 7 x64 really blows for this although to tell the truth, I have seen massive problems with win 7 and practically any kind of mountable device usb or otherwise could just be my work computer though... you might be better off downloading a live cd of ubuntu and either dual booting or running in the live environment. (I cant remember if you have to have java installed or not, if you do you might not be able to use a live environment)
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Hi... win 7 x64 really blows for this although to tell the truth, I have seen massive problems with win 7 and practically any kind of mountable device usb or otherwise could just be my work computer though... you might be better off downloading a live cd of ubuntu and either dual booting or running in the live environment. (I cant remember if you have to have java installed or not, if you do you might not be able to use a live environment)
    i guess ill try with X32 bit tomorrow at work

this really sucks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast