1.    #1  
    I'm having an issue making outgoing calls with my Pre.

I tried making a call this morning and when I tapped the 'Call' button, I couldn't hear anything. I couldn't hear ringing or tell if someone picked up. The timer on the phone started as usual, but no sound was coming from the phone.

I tried calling several different numbers, but got the same result. I also noticed that when I put the phone up to my ear, the screen no longer blacks out like it usually does. So at times my ear would tap the 'Contacts' tab and bring up my list of contacts.

At first I thought I had the mute button on, but I checked and it was off. I turned it on and off just in case, but still no changes. I turned off my phone and restarted it, but no changes there either. I ran a 'Quick Tests' but it didn't detect anything wrong with the phone.

Everything else on the phone seems to work. I can receive calls (but I can't hear any voices on the other end). I can text, browse the web, play music, etc.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm using the most up-to-date version of the Palm Pre (webOS1.4.5) and I have Sprint's service.
    sounds like you are stuck in headset mode. try calling someone (like another phone in the room). Tap the button on your pre that puts it into speakerphone mode and see if that solves it. also confirm that the other phone can hear you.

then look for the "ghastly headset patch" to see if that fixes it. if it doesn't, call your carrier for support and/or a replacement.
    a) can they hear you?

b) have you tried your headset to see if you can hear then...if so then have you tried look at the threads about the 'head set jack' and issues (there are some things to try on it --
    try squeezing the upper left hand cornor when the phone is closed. i had an issue that i thought was stuck in headset mode but after downloading the ghastly headset everything was good and still no sound. turns out it was a hardware issue and i just got my replacement.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjm223 View Post
    I'm having an issue making outgoing calls with my Pre.

I tried making a call this morning and when I tapped the 'Call' button, I couldn't hear anything. I couldn't hear ringing or tell if someone picked up. The timer on the phone started as usual, but no sound was coming from the phone.

I tried calling several different numbers, but got the same result. I also noticed that when I put the phone up to my ear, the screen no longer blacks out like it usually does. So at times my ear would tap the 'Contacts' tab and bring up my list of contacts.

At first I thought I had the mute button on, but I checked and it was off. I turned it on and off just in case, but still no changes. I turned off my phone and restarted it, but no changes there either. I ran a 'Quick Tests' but it didn't detect anything wrong with the phone.

Everything else on the phone seems to work. I can receive calls (but I can't hear any voices on the other end). I can text, browse the web, play music, etc.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm using the most up-to-date version of the Palm Pre (webOS1.4.5) and I have Sprint's service.
    This really sounds like stuck in headset mode (believe me, I have weekly experience with this). Open your music player (or pandora, or anything that plays sound) and see if you can hear anything from the back speaker. If not, plug in your headset and see if you can hear though the headset. Unplug the headset (this alone may correct your problem this time), and try a phone call or music again. Still no sound? Call your voicemail and look at the bottom left of the call window. Do you see a picture of a hearset there? If so, congrats, you are stuck in headset mode.

If this is the case, there are myriad "fixes" but basically you have something in the jack like a little piece of lint that is sticking the switch. Your task is to get the whatever out of the jack. Try plugging and unplugging your headset over and over again with the music playing to see if it is unstuck. If that doesn't work, I have had good luck with compressed air in the jack. I've even had to take it to Sprint once, when I couldn't get it unstuck. The Sprint tech did it in less than a minute.
    also run the interactive tests in the "device info" app