1.    #1  
    So my Palm Pre has honestly almost made me cry on numerous occasions. Quick story!

So I got my first Palm Pre last October. Obviously, it was defective, and over the course of the next 5 months I got 5 replacements.

SO THEN APRIL HAPPENS. And I get a BRAND NEW Palm Pre as a replacement. It was glorious. The power button worked, the volume buttons didn't get stuck, it didn't randomly switch between vibrate and ring. It was PERFECT.

Since then though, it's been slowly degrading. A small crack developed near the microphone, the keyboard barely works. I have to press keys sometimes 3 or 4 times to register them! The power button is stuck, the screen is scratched (my fault obviously), and I get some crazy battery drain sometimes.

The battery drain baffles me. It only happens SOMETIMES. And it happens on all 3 of the batteries I have. I'll just leave it on the table for an hour or 2 and it'll go down 40 or 50% battery. jstop doesn't show anything out of the ordinary either.

ANYWAY to my point. I brought it back to Sprint. And. They won't replace it. Two Sprint stores, and they just said no. They pointed out the crack in the casing, and the fact that I had too many replacements as their reasoning behind it. Then they told me I have an upgrade on October 1st and I should just use that to get a new phone.

But I love WebOS. I don't know what to do... I have a half functional phone that I can't get replace. Yeah I have an upgrade.. and the Epic looks pretty cool. I was initially planning on waiting til 2011 to see what Palm releases, but I can't deal with this phone for that long.

HELP ME!! BRO NEEDS HELP!
    Im going through the same exact thing. Except for the battery drain issue... Preform a webos doctor on your device and that should help the battery drain. You must drop your phone a lot to have all those cracks and scratches. I know i use to drop my Pre off my bed a lot when i tripped over the charging cord lol
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  3.    #3  
    I dropped it ONCE. But I was playing basketball and had it in my pocket. It wasn't very pleasant. I didn't notice the crack when I dropped it though. It just kinda expanded a little everyday.

And I just didn't wanna get a screen protector cause I went through like a Pre a month and decided it wasn't worth it to keep gettin em.

I'm visibly upset about these circumstances. Visibly.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Android isn't what it's "cracked" up to be, once you try WebOS for very long.
    I have had great responses from Sprint's phone help. Maybe they could help you.
    (I've tried Sprint's on-line help twice, and they are idiots. one last night tried to talk me into "upgrading" my Pre to a Pixi, when I asked about new Palms coming out). Sprint phone support replaced my first Pre immediately when the touchscreen failed.

Also, maybe you should get one of the armored cases they advertise on Precentral home page, and definitely you should get the monthly phone insurance. Only takes 1 drop to bust a computer, and that is what it is.

As for the non-functional phones, that is definitely their responsibility.
    At the risk of being flamed, I have to say ... you need to be more gentle with your phone. Treat it like it's a computer, not some cheap feature phone.
    thats fine.. i have 2 cracks in my phone.. and i've never dropped it. NEVER and i keep it in it's sleeve... it's a design issue and it's a KNOWN one!!

and i had a PERFECT launch day pre for almost a year... then i got dreaded headphone issue. i'm on number 4 or 5 i forget. most of the refurbs i got were junk and asked them to be replaced on the spot... one the spacebar didn't work.. they agreed...the next one had a screw come loose and jam the phone open (a few days after i got it) Another one registered a "touch" on the screen when i slid it open.... I have pics here on precentral of the screw... not saying the OP doesn't have to be more careful... but also saying the hardware isn't the greatest. And i use to be that guy that said.. your crazy my pre is perfect!! lol
    Last edited by antonio3; 09/29/2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    At the risk of being flamed, I have to say ... you need to be more gentle with your phone. Treat it like it's a computer, not some cheap feature phone.
    I agree with you. I have been called a bull in a china shop,,but my pre don't have one scratch on it,,almost a yr old.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I'm being completely honest when I say I've only dropped it once. I love my Palm Pre. It's my baby. I cherish it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    Android isn't what it's "cracked" up to be, once you try WebOS for very long.
    I have had great responses from Sprint's phone help. Maybe they could help you.
    (I've tried Sprint's on-line help twice, and they are idiots. one last night tried to talk me into "upgrading" my Pre to a Pixi, when I asked about new Palms coming out). Sprint phone support replaced my first Pre immediately when the touchscreen failed.

Also, maybe you should get one of the armored cases they advertise on Precentral home page, and definitely you should get the monthly phone insurance. Only takes 1 drop to bust a computer, and that is what it is.

As for the non-functional phones, that is definitely their responsibility.
    Yeah to be honest.. I don't like Android that much. It's serviceable. It's not pretty, it's just an OS with nothing special to me. Purely my opinion. I get why other people like it, but I don't.

If I do end up getting a free replacement I'll definitely look into that armor case. I have insurance on it, but they want me to pay a $100 deductible for the phone, which I am just not willing to do. I don't want to pay for a phone I've had replaced for free for me FIVE times.

I'll try out the phone line tomorrow and see if they give me anything. I honestly think they're just being stubborn and want me to use my upgrade so I stay aboard for 2 more years.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have to say that I think the hardware quality is getting worse on the pre's. I had my Launch day pre with out any problems for just shy of a year when i broke the screen and used insurance to replace it, my second lasted about a month and then the keyboard stopped working for no reason that one they replaced for free, since then i have been having to replace them every couple months, the last one i got last month and the powerbutton fell off, i had it in a GRT case and the screen cracked sometime on friday the funny thing being i used the phone at work and it was fine, i drove home only about a mile, took the phone out of my holster and the screen was cracked. This was the last straw so i got an EPIC on monday, hardware is much better, but really miss Webos.
    craigs list until the next device is shipped. Viva la wbeOS!
    Maybe try the Pixi? My wife has one and she beats the living crap out of it and it holds up well.

There are people who are still on their launch day Pre's with no problems. With all the hardware problems you are experiencing it is tough for Sprint not to think it is physical damage. I know you aren't going to like me saying this but the Pre isn't a $50 flip phone. It's a $550 smartphone and needs to be treated as such. Just my two cents.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I dropped my Pre today and it now has some sort of plastic crack thing on the top left corner. I'm so sad cuz it's the first imperfection on it.. And I've had it for a year!!
    Explain the non-screen problems and tell them they're covered under warranty. They should replace it on the spot because those are covered by the warranty.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    My Pre has me on the verge of tears too, tears of joy
    we have one of 4 pre's - one in really bad shape, barely hanging on....that can't see (camera stopped working), can't sleep (power button electronics damaged, not just the button), can't speak (front mic doesn't work) and it has cracks. Really no abuse, just HEAVY Usage!

It's a cheap sprint store refurb just before warranty ended. POS even came apart 1 week after refurb issued and they literally screwed both halves back together. Now out of warranty they won't touch it.

Here's hoping for a new phone ASAP from sprint.

PAAALLLM, we need a new phone ASAP! (where's the releasemypre guy?)
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I sorta lucked out insofar as Sprint didn't replace my Pre when it got really stuck in headset mode. It had happened about once a month when I got it, and I was always able to unstick it with a few minutes work. I got really stuck in August, for a week, couldn't get it unstuck, and couldn't go all the way to Reno to the Sprint store until weekend. They unstuck it in less than a minute. As a result, I have my otherwise still perfect Pre (except that it still gets stuck in headset mode once a week, but I have been able to clear it myself every time since then).
    At the risk of sounding like a Palm "******" if I were you I would use my "upgrade" and get a new Pre.

My first Pre (actually a Verizon PrePlus) developed speaker problems and got the crack next to the USB port. I waited a while then replaced it and the one I have had for the last 6 months has been flawless.

I think the build quality improved after they had been around a while. My replacement just "felt" more solid and I havent had ANY issues with it.

Also, just as a side note... I noticed that I used to get a lot of lint and "stuff" inside my Pre that would get in through the speaker holes on the back. I wasnt sure if this caused any real issue or not but I figured "why risk it" so, inside the back cover I put a piece of scotch tape over the speaker grill. It doesnt effect speaker volume at all but keeps a lot ipcoket debris from getting inside your phone. Just a thought, your mileage may vary.

I hope that helps!

Eric
    I see Pre|Central edited my reply. I didnt want anyone to think I was cursing. The word it crossed out was f-a-n-b-o-y-

I thought that was a common term I see thrown around a good bit. I dont know why it was edited out.

ok, back to work!

Eric