Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife was teasing me last night about my "new" PalmPre... but I've had my PalmPrePlus for about 8 months!. She was teasing me because lately I have been a lot more enthused about my Pre, installing apps, patches, using it for more things, showing it off to more friends, etc. And it occurred to me that when I first got my Pre I wasn't too happy with it. I was kind of disappointed actually.

So, what has turned me around? As WebOS & the Homebrew community has matured its amazing how much better my Pre gets!

OVERCLOCKING
    Now that I have my Pre overclocked to 800Mhz WebOS just seems "better". Everything is faster & smoother. The whole OS just seems more elegant when flicking between apps and manipulating data when it is faster. All my Android friends admit that WebOS just looks cooler!

HOMEBREW
    It was frustrating not to have simple things like character counting in messaging, or a real percentage for my battery. Not to mention more advanced stuff like greater control over how launcher is configured, missing options in Calendar, etc. But practically ALL of my frustrations and pet peeves are solved with patches. The Homebrew community is amazing and is half the reason that I am really starting to love my Pre. I really wish HP/Palm would just pre-install Preware on all their devices from now on. I wish more people were aware of what all you can do with Homebrew patches, themes, and apps. Its amazing!

MORE APPS
    It was frustrating as a new user to be told that Palm had abandoned the Palm Desktop for a "Cloud" solution but that Palm hadn't fully implemented a a Cloud solution yet... at least not for Tasks and Memos. Recently I downloaded (Preware) "Done!" for Tasks and "Noted!" for Memos (tigercountrysoftware.com) and now I finally have robust "Core Four" PIM apps again. Not to mention scientific calculators, really good games (including chess), Bible apps, music players, etc. The app catalog and homebrew app catalog have really matured and give users alot of good stuff to choose from.

ANYWAY, I just thought it was funny, that as I wait and clamor for WebOS 2 and fancy new hardware, that I am just now starting to REALLY LOVE my Pre.

All my Android friends think the WebOS is really elegant. My iPhone friends are amazed that I can easily "hack" my Pre without fear of bricking it. I think if just more people knew what all Palm had to offer, this platform will really take off!

Eric
    Last edited by edfehrman; 09/29/2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    +1
    +1

and to top it all off for me, i just got a refurb that is solid as can be. no oreo at all, no loose battery, nothing to complain about.
    +1
    +1
    You like 800 mHz? 1 GHz is even better!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Fantastic! Enjoy it!
    +1
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    great post +1
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Posts like this makes me smile. My wife gave me a hard time about always being on PreCentral or my pre. So I brought her over from T-Mobile and bought her a Pixi, her first smartphone.

She loves the gestures, swipes, webOS etc. I recently patched it, now I dont have to worry with her yelling about my time on Precentral.....she now understands
    I've shared before that I had a Pre+ really close to release day on Red, but I hated it. All the missing functions you noted were the reason. Back then I was scared of homebrew, patches, etc because I was afraid of bricking my phone. Returned it after two days.

My Centro was getting tired and I'm a tweaker, I love to customize everything so I gave the Pre a try once more and this time it stuck. I decided to give the homebrew and patch thing a go and I've never looked back.

Until I started using homebrew and patches I was just holding out for an IPhone since I love my ITouch and IPad so much, but now, who cares? My Pre does more than any IPhone could, and it does it faster and much prettier, not to mention CHEAPER!
    1.2 rocks if your device can handle it!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

i just use my pre plus for about a month and 3 of my friends already ask me to keep an eye on a used pre for them..cause we live in vn the new pre is pretty expensive so used one is our solution..i'm not even over clocked and they r amaze with how much my pre can do and the look of Web OS..i ♥ my Pre :X:X
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Posts like this makes me smile. My wife gave me a hard time about always being on PreCentral or my pre. So I brought her over from T-Mobile and bought her a Pixi, her first smartphone.

She loves the gestures, swipes, webOS etc. I recently patched it, now I dont have to worry with her yelling about my time on Precentral.....she now understands
    That is so funny because the same thing was happening to me but in my case, I brought her from AT&T and got her a Pre; she used to have a blackberry. She loves it and says nothing when I tweak my phone and rave about it. I have always loved my Pre but my love affair with it grew after over clocking. I felt like there was no stopping me...

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I got a deal on a used PrePlus before I committed to a contract and I really liked it. I showed it to my daughter and she got one and loves it. It started to grow on me so at upgrade time I got a new one and haven't looked back. I was wary of Preware and Kernel patches, but it looked a lot easier than Flashing WinMo ROMs... So I took the used one out and started hacking away and at 1 ghz plus many other tweaks and apps, I feel like I went from watching Black and White movies to Technicolor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    1.2 rocks if your device can handle it!
    I am a proud owner of a "Chuck Norris Pre" 1.2ghz works without hesitation

I am not on my original Pre but I must say the one i have is solid. ZERO oreo and handles anything i try to throw at it.

P.S. I think i got a little to excited reading your story. I said "h**l yeah" a little to loud at work LOL
    Last edited by Toadfrogjr; 09/30/2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Adding More
  17.    #18  
    jumping gigawatts... 1.2Hhz!! thats crazy fast for something that comes 500mhz out of the box.

I have been keeping mine at 800Mhz and I'm pretty satisfied. I dont want to get too greedy!

Eric
    Speaking of overclocking, do you ever feel like your Pre is pretty fast lately, and then open Govnah randomly and realize that it's not even overclocked? For some reason Govnah will forget it's settings randomly and I don't even notice a speed difference.

I <3 my Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreAngie View Post
    I've shared before that I had a Pre+ really close to release day on Red, but I hated it. All the missing functions you noted were the reason. Back then I was scared of homebrew, patches, etc because I was afraid of bricking my phone. Returned it after two days.

My Centro was getting tired and I'm a tweaker, I love to customize everything so I gave the Pre a try once more and this time it stuck. I decided to give the homebrew and patch thing a go and I've never looked back.

Until I started using homebrew and patches I was just holding out for an IPhone since I love my ITouch and IPad so much, but now, who cares? My Pre does more than any IPhone could, and it does it faster and much prettier, not to mention CHEAPER!
    I'm actually scared to do the homebrew/patch thing as well because I don't want to lose this phone but after your post I think I might try it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast