Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm using Gmail with IMAP, but I've been reading about Hotmail with exchange server capabilities. I've avoided Hotmail in the past, largely because they used to delete your account if you left it idle for a month (like you went on vacation before smartphones).

    Can anyone tell me what the difference between Gmail IMAP and Hotmail EAS in practical terms? I am concerned with battery life. I definitely found better battery life when I switched Gmail from POP to IMAP. Is EAS better? Is there a Gmail way to do EAS if it is better?
  2. #2  
    EAS pushes email to you. Pop/IMAP require the phone to poll for messages on a schedule.

    battery life should be improved by EAS.
  3. #3  
    GMAIL also supports "push" in it's IMAP implementation.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    GMAIL also supports "push" in it's IMAP implementation.
    So, essentially, by using Gmail IMAP, I'm pretty much getting the benefits of EAS already?
  5. #5  
    More or less...yes.

    Gmail also offers EAS but it does funny things given how it works with Gmail's threaded setup.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    So, essentially, by using Gmail IMAP, I'm pretty much getting the benefits of EAS already?
    I don't think IMAP4 pushes, so you are still eating battery by polling. IMAP is just like POP except that it will sync messages between the client and the server.
  7. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    More or less...yes.

    Gmail also offers EAS but it does funny things given how it works with Gmail's threaded setup.
    It looks like you have to be a paying user of Google Apps to get this service though, right?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    It looks like you have to be a paying user of Google Apps to get this service though, right?
    That could be...not sure...I have a personal domain hosted via Google so it's an option for me I guess.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't think IMAP4 pushes, so you are still eating battery by polling. IMAP is just like POP except that it will sync messages between the client and the server.
    Regardless of the technicalities involved Gmail does true push e-mail via IMAP. Just set your sync option to "as items arrive."
    Sprint|Samsung Epic

Posting Permissions