Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

    I recently had the feeling that my battery life was decreasing, and since then I tried to have a closer look and by using battery monitor, I know now that my battery drains at a steady rate of 12% per hour.

    I don't have data usage activated, I think the issue could be caused by openssh, since I installed it recently.

    I am running at 500mhz, so that can't be an overclocking issue. I just wanted to know if anybody had the same experience while using openssh.

    I have the feeling that there is something else to the issue as well, since twice my battery level dropped from 40~30% to zero. So the drain could be a symptom.
  2. #2  
    did you try uninstalling openssh? once you have done that, there are other variables:

    is your phone in a strong signal area? searching for a signal kills the battery.

    what cloud services are you synching to and how often?

    here are a bunch more suggestions that you can try if you eliminate openssh as the source.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ry+saving+tips
  3. #3  
    might wanna recalibrate your battery using Dr. Battery.
  4.    #4  
    I got about 4 bars of signal, so I am find on that side, I recently added another mail account to sync (hotmail via Exchange), It used to use pop3 as a protocol, in all 3 accounts are synced, apart from that nothing else.

    I have wifi activated and a strong signal, I am not using apps that would require GPS, and I have no cards opened in the background.

    I am going to have a go at removing openssh and see what happens then.
  5.    #5  
    I will also try Dr.Battery as the whole dropping from 40% to 0% happened before I installed openssh.
  6. #6  
    hotmail now supports EAS so you might want to try that. push should be better on the battery than polling.
  7.    #7  
    I don't know what is DIAG mode, it seems to stand for diagnostic mode, but I am not too sure on how I could have activated it.

    I uninstalled openssh but it does not be the cause of the problem, I need to try Dr.Battery tonight, because at this rate, my phone battery does not last even 8 hours.

    Was 100% untill 9am and now at 3.30pm down to 28%, and I made 2 calls of less than 10 minutes each.
  8. #8  
    how old is the battery? they will lose capacity over time.
  9.    #9  
    I would say 8 month old, I am thinking about buying a new one with more capacity.

    I think it could be getting old alright since I don't think the battery level should drop suddently anyway.

    After running 20 minutes of battery monitor I am at an average of 11%, so it is definitively not openssh that is causing it. Next thing I might try is to put the phone on airplane mode and check how the battery behaves then.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phileas Fogg View Post
    I would say 8 month old, I am thinking about buying a new one with more capacity.

    I think it could be getting old alright since I don't think the battery level should drop suddently anyway.

    After running 20 minutes of battery monitor I am at an average of 11%, so it is definitively not openssh that is causing it. Next thing I might try is to put the phone on airplane mode and check how the battery behaves then.
    What I have read from your posts you will be surprised by the results of Dr.Battery. Your battery seems to be (almost) dead.
    If you decide to buy an extended standard sized battery I suggest a Mugen 1400mAh.
  11.    #11  
    I will have a look to see how I can get one here in Ireland. I saw that on Amazon.co.uk I can buy a Amzer SmartCell 1400 mAh.

    I just need to check the forum to find out if somebody has an experience with this one.
  12. #12  
    or if you don't wanna shell out the clams you might wanna stock up on 'stock' batteries. Mad cheap on Amazon.com
  13.    #13  
    I just had a look, they are cheap alright, the only issue is that it seems to take between 10-20 days to ship them over there.

    I'll give it a thought anyway.

    Thanks for the tip.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phileas Fogg View Post
    I just had a look, they are cheap alright, the only issue is that it seems to take between 10-20 days to ship them over there.

    I'll give it a thought anyway.

    Thanks for the tip.
    don't forget to have an external charger so you can keep them all charged up...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phileas Fogg View Post
    I just had a look, they are cheap alright, the only issue is that it seems to take between 10-20 days to ship them over there.

    I'll give it a thought anyway.

    Thanks for the tip.
    You may want to buy a palm centro battery. Very cheap in US 3-5$.
  16. #16  
    If you put your phone in airplane mode, hit the power button, and let it sleep for 30 minutes. Start it backup and check how much battery you lost. Then post it here.
  17. #17  
    When the Pre first came out, some owners were having problems with battery drain syncing hotmail using POP3. I know that I uninstalled the hotmail account early on and have used gmail since then. I thought this had been fixed, but maybe not.
  18.    #18  
    Hum, thats not good, I just switched it to airplane mode, and the battery went from 18% to 0%, I will post some news later (should have brought the touchstone charger with me today).
  19.    #19  
    I am not syncing hotmail with POP3 anymore, I changed that recently since they introduced EAS. But I have an odd feeling that since then the battery drain increased, that cannot be the case however because it is supposed to increase battery life.

    For the record the first time my battery dropped from 40% to 0%, it was just after installing govnah and uberkernel. At the time I thought it was the overclocking that caused it so I reverted back the phone to standard speed. Then it did it again while not overclocked and it does happen every once in a while it seems.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you try uninstalling openssh? once you have done that, there are other variables:

    is your phone in a strong signal area? searching for a signal kills the battery.

    what cloud services are you synching to and how often?

    here are a bunch more suggestions that you can try if you eliminate openssh as the source.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ry+saving+tips
    One of the suggestions re: the link above has to do with turning the Backup to the Off position. Okay. when I was abt. to do that you get this warning:'If you turn Backup off, your phone will no longer back up your data to your Palm Profile. (and....) Your data in your Palm Profile will also be erased'. That's not cool is it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions