Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcarner View Post
    One of the suggestions re: the link above has to do with turning the Backup to the Off position. Okay. when I was abt. to do that you get this warning:'If you turn Backup off, your phone will no longer back up your data to your Palm Profile. (and....) Your data in your Palm Profile will also be erased'. That's not cool is it?
    sometimes that's good if you need to wipe your profile, because turning it back on creates a new one.

I don't recommend turning it off. It tends to run at night, or when you make changes that would effect it. If you aren't putting contacts in it (and no one should ever do that) and aren't buying lots of apps, it probably isn't doing much.

i recommend that you leave it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    sometimes that's good if you need to wipe your profile, because turning it back on creates a new one.

I don't recommend turning it off. It tends to run at night, or when you make changes that would effect it. If you aren't putting contacts in it (and no one should ever do that) and aren't buying lots of apps, it probably isn't doing much.

i recommend that you leave it on.
    i'm keeping it on. I enter new contacts every day.
    sometimes that's good if you need to wipe your profile, because turning it back on creates a new one. If you aren't putting contacts in it (and no one should ever do that) and aren't buying lots of apps, it probably isn't doing much.
    I just re-read what you said. I not getting it. What do you mean by 'no one should ever do that'. Do what? Email contacts? Phone contacts?
    I just re-read what you said. I not getting it. What do you mean by 'no one should ever do that'. Do what? Email contacts? Phone contacts?
    Put your contacts in Gmail or something else just don't use Palm Profile. I have always kept the Backup off. I have no need for it.
    backup also backs up the apps that you buy.
    did you ever run Dr. Battery? If so what were the results?
    any contacts. Put tem in a cloud service like gmail or hotmail (i suggest hotmail) or outlook. If they are in your palm profile you can't get to them except through your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    You may want to buy a palm centro battery. Very cheap in US 3-5$.
    I highly recommend this. I just bought a set of two Centro batteries on eBay for $5 total and they work flawlessly, and I lucked out with mAh in the 1190s.
    any contacts. Put tem in a cloud service like gmail or hotmail (i suggest hotmail) or outlook. If they are in your palm profile you can't get to them except through your phone.
    That is not my experience. I just opened up Contacts in Gmail. All of the contacts that I loaded into the phone are there including two that I entered data for on the phone today. Matter of fact right now, I created a new contact called 'Test Case' and created a phone number. I did a refresh of the contact list in Gmail. Test Case showed up.
    that's good. It means they aren't in your palm profile, so you are in good shape.
    what did Dr. Battery have to say?...
    I've been having terrible battery life too . I have several batteries, to it's not any one in particular. I was originally running Uber/Govnah, with virtually no patches and battery life was fine.

I added data, GPS and Roam Only, on/off toggle patches to my top bar and battery life plummeted to non-existence. I removed the patches, and nothing improved. So, I doctored my phone and put on F102A Delta Dagger, and saw SOME improvement, but not fantastic. So I added battery monitor and here's what I found...

With EVERYTHING off but the phone, and virtually no use, my battery drain ranged between 1.97 and 3.48% per hour. As soon as I did ANYTHING. Check email, a quick search of the web, you name it, my battery usage jumped to as much as 12%. I did find that, using the basic Data toggle app, and religiously turning off my data after quick usage, I could get 12-16 hours use.

I did a patch recovery and a kernel restore, and switched to Uber/Govnah running Fixed 800. And, I THINK I am actually getting shorter life (3.48 when doing nothing and between 6 and 10% when doing something). Case in point, I ran my MP3 player for an hour and was tipping the scales around 9+% per hour. Yesterday, I made 6 quick phone calls (no more than a minute or two), sent 6 texts, and checked email and dropped about 22%. I started out at 100% and dropped to 78% in less than a 1/2 hour.

So, here's where I think I stand. I can preserve battery life very well, and use basic PIM functions (calendar, contacts, etc), and stay in the 2-4% per hour range. As soon as I do ANYTHING else: phone calls, texts, MP3, check the web, it jumps to 6-10%. Heaven help me if I need my GPS or use BlueTooth (which kills my battery so fast my car charger can't keep up).

I ordered the Mugen 1400mAh battery. Hopefully it will help somewhat.

My next step will be to try screenstate 500/800 again. Though I have found this to be glitchy in the past with my phone (slow downs, freezes, locking at 500 even with the screen on, very short battery life).

I really think the best option for me may be to go back to F102A. But, I'm not sure yet. Will play with Uber/Govnah for a few more days.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    What car charger are you using? I run data and bluetooth whenever I'm in the car and it still charges with the OEM charger (on a Touchstone). Never have a need for GPS, though, so I can't say about running them both.

However, 10-12% an hour with usage is what my Pre has always done (but it evens out to less if I don't use the phone for the whole hour, of course). I'm primarily use my phone for browsing/tweeting/rss/mp3/streaming in a poor service area, so I'm not too surprised.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    What car charger are you using? I run data and bluetooth whenever I'm in the car and it still charges with the OEM charger (on a Touchstone). Never have a need for GPS, though, so I can't say about running them both.

However, 10-12% an hour with usage is what my Pre has always done (but it evens out to less if I don't use the phone for the whole hour, of course). I'm primarily use my phone for browsing/tweeting/rss/mp3/streaming in a poor service area, so I'm not too surprised.
    I use the Sprint branded charger for the Pre. I also use a Pre cable with a USB to car adapter.

I actually hit the web for a few minutes tonight to read a few emails and answer a Facebook note and was at 13.5% per hour. It's kinda ridiculous. I've seen people post 3-4% usage running their MP3 player for 2 hours.

I've also taken to using WiFi whenever possible to help keep power usage down. Which I find insulting because, to me, WiFi on a phone is only needed because your data sucks. 3G is supposed to be faster than a WiFi connection to a DSL network.

Battery monitor results not withstanding, I used to be able to go 12-16 hours and still have 20-40% left. That was with an hour or so of calling, hundreds of texts, dozens of emails, an hour or two of music, all the compulsive viewing of this blog I could handle and even an hour or so of reading a book on Kobo. Now, I make less than 15 minutes worth of calls, check a few emails, and I've killed 22% of my battery. That's in-network. No roaming, no EVDO to 1xrt switching etc. On a busy day, I burn 2-3 batteries, when I used to not even use 1.

Again, I hope the new 1400 Mah battery makes a difference. I'd hate to think I spent $31 for no reason.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Wow, guess you and those people had SuperPre's before or live in 5 star reception areas. I gotta be honest, I use the phone for MP3's a lot, the last time I got 3-4% an hour was when I left it running while I dozed for three hours on a roadtrip while ALL the radios were off. Which is a stupid way to leave your phone, so I have four batteries, including a 2600 (in case of emergency). I've got two Touchstones though, so I rarely need to switch. If I used the phone as much as you did, I would not be left with 20-40% after 12-16 hours. Ther's just no way, but people tend to overestimate their phone usage, imho, although your 22% scenario sounds problematic. Barring a backup problem and a doctor fixing it, a new battery is your best bet, but in general, the Pre's battery sucks and people need to accept it instead of misleading people with their inaccurate reports (not just you, posters in general).

I would disagree about the Wifi thing, personally I prefer it whenever possible and I don't find 3G to be noticeably faster, and I used the Pre for many months in WiFi happy, yet 3G robust Boston. Your data radio is power hungry, the WiFi is not. Leaving off the WiFi is more insulting (and leaves us with the crippled Pixi).

Edit: Oh, and the car charger. The Pre cable has zip to do with anything, there's nothing special about it. What matters is what current your adapter is transferring. If it's not 1A, it's not enough. I've heard conflicting reports about the Sprint charger. I personally would just buck up and get the Palm one...$10 at Rasdioshack, $15 as part of a TS kit at Verizon, !16 at Amazon.
    Last edited by malpha; 10/06/2010 at 12:24 AM.
    I always wondering why ppl are comparing % usage of the battery. This is the wrong method.
    Example: If I have a drain of 10% per hour with my 1 year old stock palm battery with a capacity left of 500mAh (almost dead battery) that would be a loss of 50mAh in one hour.
    If I have the same loss of 50mAh with my new Mugen 1400 that would be a drain of 3% per hour.
    If I had a 2600mAh battery (which doesn't exist ;-) it would be 1,9%.

You should compare mAh or watt hours or something else not related to the capacity of the battery.

I hope my calculating is correct ;-)
    You should compare mAh or watt hours or something else not related to the capacity of the battery.
    I always thought you should consider the load along with the battery. If the battery is draining, something is draining it. You could add to your program an option that considers 15min intervals using /proc/loadavg 's 15min value. Can could then display a (15min drain)/(15min loadavg) metric. A high value would be bad (lots of drain for little return). A low value would be good (little drain for good return).

Values in the middle would be normal-ish behavior as far as power goes. And, if you have high drain with high use ... something is really busy on your phone. To check that you could take 15mins of data from /proc/interrupts to see if the hardware is being really "talkie".

Hmm. Dr. Battery could become Dr. PowerUser
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    I always thought you should consider the load along with the battery. If the battery is draining, something is draining it. You could add to your program an option that considers 15min intervals using /proc/loadavg 's 15min value. Can could then display a (15min drain)/(15min loadavg) metric. A high value would be bad (lots of drain for little return). A low value would be good (little drain for good return).

Values in the middle would be normal-ish behavior as far as power goes. And, if you have high drain with high use ... something is really busy on your phone. To check that you could take 15mins of data from /proc/interrupts to see if the hardware is being really "talkie".

Hmm. Dr. Battery could become Dr. PowerUser
    Thanks,
    I already looked into powertop. I would love to have something connect power consumption to processes.
    I've not much time atm but will come back to you about this. You may have good knowledge about this.
    turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi and see if you get respectible figures. the pop mail might be polling too freequently as well and i believe being logged into IM is another great battery drain, but maybe not so bad over wifi.
    Thanks,
    I already looked into powertop. I would love to have something connect power consumption to processes.
    I've not much time atm but will come back to you about this. You may have good knowledge about this.
    I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

Right now I'm trying to get up to speed on Linux on OMAP boards. The last time I even talked to real kernel coders was for 64bit cleanness on Linux and DEC Alpha CPUs. So I'm having to get up to speed and doing a poor job at it.

If you have an 'in' with the webos-internal kernel gurus can you ask them to look at the new i2c patches from TI to the Linux omap kernel tree? I'm leaning towards the i2c patches helping with some hardware issues on the Pre.
    Last edited by arrasmith; 10/07/2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: can't type ...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast