1.    #1  
    Last week I contacted Palm concerning an intermittent issue I have been having, as of late, with my nearly one-year-old device. Basically, I was having issues with the phone switching from Bluetooth mode to normal mode and/or to speaker mode during a phone call. Also, the Bluetooth audio had gotten to where it would stop playing over my Motorola Bluetooth headset or the Bluetooth in my car. It would play fine for a while, but if I moved or jiggled the phone, the audio would cease to come out my Bluetooth speakers and would, instead, come out the speaker on the back of the phone.

Anyway, this evening I received a replacement phone directly from Palm. After going through the activation process and the process of restoring my phone defaults, I noticed that the “volume bar” (which appears near the bottom of the screen when the volume buttons are pressed) was remaining on the screen at all times. The only way I could get it to leave the screen was to re-start the phone, but once I pressed the volume buttons again, the volume bar would appear on the screen and would not leave the screen.

I was so aggravated that I had been sent a defective replacement, so I called Palm to complain. They troubleshot the phone with me and concluded that it was, indeed, defective. They asked for the serial number of the phone so that they could begin the process of preparing for me to send it back; however, when I told them the serial number, they said that the serial number I had just reported to them was NOT the serial number that they had sent me.

I was completely confused for a moment and replied to them that this was, indeed, the phone that I had removed from the Fed Ex package earlier in the evening, which had been shipped from Celestica Corporation in Pharr, Texas. I gave them the tracking number on the package, and they did some investigation, but ultimately re-stated that this phone was NOT the phone they had sent me.

Now I am 100% confident that the phone with the questionable serial number is, indeed, the phone that I removed from the Fed Ex package. They already had the serial number of my old phone in their system, so they were not mixing it up with the serial number of my old phone. I basically had to threaten them before they relented and said that I could return this new phone to them for a replacement.

I do not know how to explain how frustrating it is to receive a defective replacement and basically be implicitly accused of trying to perform a switcheroo on them (I presume that was their accusation). I don’t even understand how that could be to my advantage when I already was going to have to send back my old phone. They obviously did not accurately record the serial number of the phone that was being sent to me as a replacement. I hope that Palm (HP) can get it together, and soon.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Stick your head out a window and let out a primordial scream!
    Woah. That's nuts. I wonder how mny times people ready do try to switcharoo.

... And ibwonder if they are going to apologize when they discover yours went into another box.. Hmmm?
    mistakes happen, even to the best of us!!!!
    Wow, that sounds really frustrating. Something smells fishy to me...
    Shhhiiiiivvvaaaaa!!!! (tv show reference - anyone?)

OP... PM member: HardBeatz and see if he can give you a hand (he's a Palm rep).
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Some people are just stupid. Seriously. When I contacted Palm about my device getting stuck in headset mode, they had me blow into it the first time I contacted them, which solved it, then suggested I refrain from plugging headphones into the phone. What good is a device if using basic functions like that is advised against by the company.

This and the overall unreliability of the device is why I went over to the darkside (iPhone )
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Some people are just stupid. Seriously. When I contacted Palm about my device getting stuck in headset mode, they had me blow into it the first time I contacted them, which solved it, then suggested I refrain from plugging headphones into the phone. What good is a device if using basic functions like that is advised against by the company.

This and the overall unreliability of the device is why I went over to the darkside (iPhone )
    Embarrassing.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    tampaguy, how much do you want to bet there is another person out there who has a Pre with a serail number that does not match the one Palm sent him (and it matches the number they thought they sent you).

I guess when they are replacing so many devices it is an easy mistake to slip the wrong phone into the wrong box.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Shhhiiiiivvvaaaaa!!!! (tv show reference - anyone?)

OP... PM member: HardBeatz and see if he can give you a hand (he's a Palm rep).
    the league!!!!
    Hopefully, HP's acquisition of Palm will give a boost to Palm customer service. It needs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Hopefully, HP's acquisition of Palm will give a boost to Palm customer service. It needs it.
    A single factor that will give the customer service a major boost is by increasing the hardware quality. I imagine Palm and all the carriers are totally overwhelmed with returns of defective equipment.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    That's an awfully discouraging story...keeping my fingers crossed I have no hardware problems before my next upgrade eligibility date.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceNC View Post
    That's an awfully discouraging story...keeping my fingers crossed I have no hardware problems before my next upgrade eligibility date.
    It's my personal opinion that the Pre was independent Palm's last gasp. It was rushed out prematurely, inadequately tested, and under-hardwared. Now under HP, hopefully without immediate cash flow issues, the next Palm device will have decent hardware.
    Now that Palm is with HP, I'd complain about it on Twitter. Seriously. It might help.