1.    #1  
    just got my refurb in yesterday. My pre's speaker blew up. Either way, my old pre couldn't handle the 1 Ghz OC without the temps getting up to 50 - 53. My refurb is running the 1 Ghz/500 Mhz screenstate @ 36. Why is there a difference? Both have same apps/patches, why the stark difference? I thought the hardware in these were all the same.
    all manufacturing is done within tolerance limits, IE there is a distribution of abilities, what shape that distribution takes we can only guess. all work for the stock clock, but some cannot take the over-clocking but some can.

for more discussion and more authoritative word check here

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2662759
  3.    #3  
    thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    just got my refurb in yesterday. My pre's speaker blew up. Either way, my old pre couldn't handle the 1 Ghz OC without the temps getting up to 50 - 53. My refurb is running the 1 Ghz/500 Mhz screenstate @ 36. Why is there a difference? Both have same apps/patches, why the stark difference? I thought the hardware in these were all the same.
    you are the proud owner of a Chuck Norris Pre. congratulations!
    Don't know if this theory holds water or not but I've tended to believe that refurbs go through more thorough quality control than new units. Probably weeds out the bad units a bit better.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Don't know if this theory holds water or not but I've tended to believe that refurbs go through more thorough quality control than new units. Probably weeds out the bad units a bit better.
    good point! I never thought of it like that. Darn 'U' key is being... Difficult.