Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My manager just got a new company phone, a Droid 2. Our company wouldn't allow a Pre. She asked me to figure it out and then show her. Wow! Big difference, I now know why I love my Pre and Webos so much! Don't get me wrong it's a nice phone and a nice upgrade from her old company phone but nothing close to the Pre. It lags on the touch screen, I dislike the touch, hold and then vibrate to move things around and the 7 home screens?? What gives? LOL That would confuse anyone not familar with a smartphone. She just wanted the app page to show up first.

All in all I love my Pre and wouldn't trade it for anything else unless they come up with a better Pre or model close to it!
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    yep, I spent the weekend trying to show a relative how to do simple stuff on his new droid2. it took lots of trial and error to figure out simple things that I figured out on webOS in the first 20 minutes after I activated it.

eventually i just bookmarked androidcentral and told him it was a great place to ask questions. then i showed him webOS and he was impressed.
  3.    #3  
    Cool, I will tell her about androidcentral although it will probably be me keeping up with it. She is a visual person and has to have someone show her.

It is amazing how quick to learn on the Pre is compared to the Droid 2. I tried to keep an open mind that I'm just use to the Pre but to me it was very hard to navigate and find things.
    Jolie

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Well, I would say that it would be very similar if you were and Android person and she just got a new Pre. So much of what you know about how the Pre operates has been gained through your daily use of it. If you had picked up an android device back when you got your Pre I think you would be able to show her how to operate it very easily.

Take for instance your comment: "She just wanted the app page to show up first.". It seemed like you are saying that this happens with the Pre. I would love to see how that happens. On my Pre I have to either swipe up, or click the launcher icon on the wave bar. Equally on the Droid 2 just click the big up arrow button and there is your app list.

You will have to teach her that android works by allow you to put either shortcuts or widgets on each of the seven screens (or no shortcuts or widgets). My wife, who is completely non-technical was able to pick this up and fly with it on her EVO. She has filled her pages with widgets and shortcuts. I have another friend who moved from the Pre to the EVO and he keeps his pages completely free of widgets and short cuts (the "clean screen" approach of the Pre).

To me Android and webOS have much more in common than they have differences. However, the differences are pretty gosh darn big. Easy UI approach to multitasking and card view for flipping between open apps to me are the big differentiators for the Pre.

I had never used an Android device before my wife picked up the EVO. Now 3 months later I can comfortably say that if there is no new webOS device out around the Christmas time frame I have no fear of moving to Android.
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    I used a Droid Eris from January to just about a week ago before I moved over to WebOS. The Android OS is actually pretty nice, and HTC's SenseUI overlay does make it more user friendly than say, plain Vanilla, when you are first using an Android-based device. The problem with a smartphone OS is that it's going to be fragmented across various devices if it is isn't locked down to a model or two like Palm and Apple have done. While theoretically every device should work the same, they don't.

Before the 2.1 update on the Eris, I had a nice reliable phone. It was speedy and did what it needed to do. After I installed 2.1, while more appealing features were added, it lost functionality. To recover some of that lost functionality, I had to root the device. To me, that was wrong. While rooting was fun, and my device seemed more stable than ever, I was worried that eventually the unofficial developer support would fade away.

I got the Pre for $60 off Craigslist. Thus far it has been the best smartphone I've ever bought. Much more intuitive, snappier than my Eris and I have a physical keyboard.
    It is sometimes amusing how some bosses; especially older ones, are so freaked out by technology. My wife’s boss once thought her computer was broken because the screen saver comes up every couple of minutes. Look at the fact she turns to you for assistance as advantageous and show her how to use her Android to a level that she will appreciate the edge the Pre has with capabilities like synergy and multi tasking. Who knows, she may translate this to possible efficiency at the work place and your hopes of the Pre becoming the company’s device of choice will be realized and so will your rise to fame(lol) By the way, my understanding of "She just wanted the app page to show up first.", was taken to mean that the seven home screens and constant vibration of the Android would seem somewhat complex to a novice smart phone user but then again, we are all open to our own interpretation lol

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    i dont know what you guys are on, but i did have a pre for 15 months and when i upgraded to the evo, didnt take me that long to get used to it and i love it like crazy, dont even miss my pre
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i dont know what you guys are on, but i did have a pre for 15 months and when i upgraded to the evo, didnt take me that long to get used to it and i love it like crazy, dont even miss my pre
    well thanks for stopping by!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    well thanks for stopping by!
    your so welcome, just giving out my opinion!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I've talked a few people into bying Pre Plus's on verizon, just by showing off my OC'd pre. I've played around with the android and honestly, I know I made the right choice with palm. To each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    To each his own.
    I think that is the big thing. There are too many fan boys on either side who think their OS is the best and no amount of discussion would ever make them change their mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    your so welcome, just giving out my opinion!
    I just thought it was ironic that you said you don't miss your pre, but you clearly miss all of us enough to post that.

I'm glad you are still here, so don't take that wrong. As someone pointed out, you may well grab the next webOS phone and nature will be back in balance.
    it's nice seeing civil talk going on. I find something new almost everyday that makes me love my pre. My buddy thinks the same of his Droid. I'm no 'fan boy' and niether is he. Bt I'd never trade
    I will trade for a constantly working 'U' button though lol
  15.    #15  
    Oh don't get me wrong, it's a very nice phone and the more I play with it I'm moving around pretty darn good in it. I wanted a Droid for my next upgrade but then when I saw the Pre Plus with free mobile hotspot that's what I wanted to save $20 a month for pay as you go mobile broadband for my netbook. Then when I got the Pre and found this place I knew I loved it. I'm really getting the hang of it and I printed off the user manual. I'll be joining AndroidCentral....she depends on me to help her out with technical things but then she is a great boss and is very good to me in return. Win Win situation. I get to play with new electronics and don't have to buy them! If something would happen to my Pre and I couldn't get another I'd go with the Droid. I know it's all what we get use to and I am doing and finding alot more out about using the Droid. But my heart belongs to my Pre....
    Jolie

Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    ..with free mobile hotspot ...
    Yeah, too bad all carriers aren't as gracious (Sprint).
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    Every time I use my wife's Incredible I try to just swipe the screen to go back, or slide my finger up to invoke the shortcuts on the launcher menu. It takes me a second to realize I'm not using my phone and then I just hit the home button.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yeah, too bad all carriers aren't as gracious (Sprint).
    That's what got me, I knew nothing about the phone...I had a dumb phone before and I only made calls, texted, and instant messaging so I figured if the Pre did just that and had the free hotspot I'd be in heaven. Well, I quickly learned soooo much more and use it for everything now. I wish everyone could enjoy the free mobile hotspot. I'm sure I'll be crying if it's ever taken away after my contract expires. But then I've been questioning do I really need my netbook now for internet on the go?????? when I have my Pre?
    Jolie

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    every day when i come home i have to take my girlfriends Droid and shut down all the apps running in the background that she has no idea are killing her battery so fast....

its the worst, reminds me of the old windows mobile days ...
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    Cool, I will tell her about androidcentral although it will probably be me keeping up with it. She is a visual person and has to have someone show her.

It is amazing how quick to learn on the Pre is compared to the Droid 2. I tried to keep an open mind that I'm just use to the Pre but to me it was very hard to navigate and find things.
    Oh well, it's job security. I fix my boss's phone too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast