Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All of a sudden my wi-fi connectivity seems to be shot to hell. Had my pre for alittle over a year now and for all that time I use to be able to get a strong wifi signal maybe 50ft away. Now it barely finds any networks and keeps saying "association failed" when connecting.

I can get a full signal for a few minutes standing right next to the router, but going more then 7ft away it starts to lose signal then disconnect. The case is exactly the same using home router, work, and other known networks.

Haven't added any patches, updates or anything in atleast a month. Thanks
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    I would suggest disable/enable to see if that helps if not it might be time for a visit to the Doctor
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Are you on 1.4.5? If not it might be worth upgrading just to see how that works.

The other option (not the most fun for you) is to do a factory reset -- i.e. full erase.

Good luck!

-al
    Same issue here as well, just 'stopped' working one day...
    I am experiencing the same thing. I thought it was an issue with my router at first, but have noticed a few postings that make me think it's my Pre.

For the record, I am patched and overclocked, but I have recently visited te Doctor (for another issue).
  6.    #6  
    I'm running 1.4.5, I'v disabled and enabled, reset and everything multiple times. If I leave my phone right next to the router it will connect and hold a perfect signal but thats it, almost like the wifi antenna is phyically broken, even though I don't think thats possible.

Everything else with the phone is working fine. I have a full insurance plan on it but iv had my pre, original pre for over a year with zero issues.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    Same thing here, just to keep the feedback coming. I am patched and overclocked (1ghz), and all the sudden one day it did not want to connect at home. I didn't think much of it and figured I would look into it later. But when I was trying to access other networks when out and about I have found it doesn't want to connect to any of them.

I am going to Doctor and see if that helps. If not, back to Sprint I go for my 4th replacement. I'll report back what, if anything, resolves the problem.
  8. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Same here. My Wifi signal is horrible. I am sitting right next to the router and I have one bar. Then 10 minutes later I have full bars. Then 10 minutes later back to one. etc..

ALso when I am searching for a network at a hotel or something i can't find them. My laptop can just fine, but my Pre notta. This has been pnly happening for about the last 2-3 weeks. Before then I never had a problem.

Any suggestions? I was ready to have my Pre replaced.
  9.    #9  
    Sounds like me, except my pre is NOT overclocked in anyway and the patches I do have I'v been running pretty much in 1 form or another since 1.0. Infact the only thing I'v done recently was remove an autospeaker phone patch. With the pre right next to the router I get a full signal and it'll stay like that all day long but thats it. Very annoying and its starting to really kill my battery walking to basement or whatever and constantly trying to reconnect
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    I just got my Palm Pre replaced with a refurbished phone after an unrelated issue. Ever since I got my replacement phone (this week), I have had difficulty connecting to my home's Wi-Fi router if I'm more than 10 feet away from it and not in direct line-of-sight. Both phones had/have patches and were running above the default clock speed. I am also looking for a solution to this that doesn't involve Doctoring or replacing hardware.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Add another to the list. Wifi just keeps spinning and spinning when I turn it on. And it doesn't seem to stop. It happened at home yesterday, and now it's happening again today. Arrrrrrrgh!
    Quote Originally Posted by camron9989 View Post
    I just got my Palm Pre replaced with a refurbished phone after an unrelated issue. Ever since I got my replacement phone (this week), I have had difficulty connecting to my home's Wi-Fi router if I'm more than 10 feet away from it and not in direct line-of-sight. Both phones had/have patches and were running above the default clock speed. I am also looking for a solution to this that doesn't involve Doctoring or replacing hardware.
    Same exact story here -- I had my VZW Pre Plus replaced a few days ago for an unrelated issue. In my bedroom, my old Pre Plus used to get all 3 bars of Wi-Fi connection; the new one only gives me the "ASSOCIATION FAILED" error. My laptop and iPad have no problems in the bedroom, both showing me full-strength signals. If I go down one floor, I can sometimes get my Pre Plus to connect with one bar.

I haven't loaded any patches or modified the phone from stock in any way. Should I go back and try my luck with another refurb?
    I haven't taken mine back yet, the data connection still works and I'm very likely to just get another refurb with even more problems. I purchased my original Pre less than a year ago, so I'm still under Palm (or maybe its Sprint) warranty. I'll probably request a new phone just before my warranty expires. Palm is horrible at refurbishing phones. My theory is that they fix the known defective part, but don't do a thorough examination to catch other problems the original owner may not have discovered.
    I've got the same problem, just got my 2nd refurb due to the earpiece cutting out. I do have it clocked and patched, but I did with my previous and never had wifi problems before.
  15. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Run the wifi test and I bet it fails. Hardware failure.
    No, it passed the tests.
    Is your time/date correct? I had same problem while back and had this same problem. I saw that for some reason my time/date showed it was now Feb :O, this caused the association failed for me. Goto network time, turn it off, then on again. That helped out.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    you probably dropped ur pre one too many times. It happened to me and I had to live with it until I got a replacement
    If "association fails" remove any non-alfanumericals in the WIFI SSID, if there are any.

WIFI Range problem is also in thread Re: wifi broken after the 1.4 update! - Page 19 - Palm Support Community but there is no fix. For the most part, this seems to relate to patching to webos 1.4.

I have dropped my phone badly once, but months before the signal went weak.

Kaido
    My ATT Pre (refurb #1) and also my wife's ATT Pre (new) both are very poor with wifi. When I'm in a hotel or right next to the router (WRT54G, Belkin N+l, DLink D628) all tried in succession and the Pre's wont stay connected if you're 10 ft from the antenna. If you're right on top of the router 3 bars, but move away and all the "classic" errors listed above occur. Very disappointing. I've got the legacy $30 large data plan (iphone) but my wife has $15 200 MB plan and she must use wifi constantly and I can't fix the problem! I can just imagine taking the phone to ATT store and they say "hmmm, wifi works just fine here" probably have a Cisco Enterprise router in the store, etc.

Both phones are well cared for and my wife's is brand new retail....
    I'm at a loss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast