Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    so I was out to dinner with my 8 year old daughter on sat night, she was playing with my phone as she usually does, and sipping a drink of mt. dew thru a straw with the phone in front of her face.

    u guessed it .. woops, drop right into the dew! grrr...

    pull it out, dry it off .. try to turn it on and it powered up but things were opening and running on it's own so shut it down..

    stuck it in a box of rice after i got home .. yesterday .. still didn't work, ordered one thru insurance..

    today.. still powered up .. no more things going haywire .. but slider sticky... can't add contacts...

    took 3 times but got the backup utility to finish a backup, and could connect to usb and get the backup onto my puter..

    loaded up pandora, played 1 song while on the touchstone, then all of a sudden the volume rocker hit on it's own and dropped the volume.. then battery died.. phone was way hot.

    eh well, got the backup done at least to save all my stuff..

    went to sprint to look at new phones as i'm a launch day pre guy, this is my 2nd insurance claim on one ... couldn't get myself to use my upgrade to buy an android .. gonna wait for new stuff from HP!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedood View Post
    ...drop right into the dew! grrr...
    Were you overclocking the CPU? My guess is the a Sprint Pre can't handle the combination of overclocking to 1GHz + caffeine. A Pre Plus probably could have handled it, but not an original Sprint Pre.

    Seriously tho, I can't believe that it would even still boot up after that...
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Were you overclocking the CPU? My guess is the a Sprint Pre can't handle the combination of overclocking to 1GHz + caffeine. A Pre Plus probably could have handled it, but not an original Sprint Pre.

    Seriously tho, I can't believe that it would even still boot up after that...

    that's awesome. But yeah can't believe it even tried to work, resiliant little bugger.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedood View Post

    stuck it in a box of rice after i got home .. yesterday .. still didn't work, ordered one thru insurance..!
    This might work for water, but for soda or any sugar laden substance, it's not the water that needs to be taken care of...it's the sugar it leaves behind.
  5. #5  
    Not that this helps you.. but I wonder if it would have worked if you would have pulled the battery immediately, the tossed the Pre into some warm water (to get sugar off) then stuck in rice to dry out.

    Then again, might be worth a try.
  6. #6  
    it may not be too late to get the Pre "workable", but it will still die a slow and painful death. Purchase some electrical contact cleaner, remove battery from the Pre, spray down every inch of the Pre including keyboard and slider (be careful around the touch screen area), spray down the battery compartment, and let it sit to dry out for a day or two. Make sure you spray down the battery while the battery is out as well.
    Again, the PRE is still going to die a slow and painful death, but this procedure might buy you a few weeks of use.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalh View Post
    Not that this helps you.. but I wonder if it would have worked if you would have pulled the battery immediately, the tossed the Pre into some warm water (to get sugar off) then stuck in rice to dry out.
    That is the technique for battery powered models that sink in salt water. You soak them in very shallow water that you replace consistently until it dissolves out all the salt. It has to be shallow because water pressure can drive water into LCDs and such. You are just wanting to surface clean the electronics. Finish with purified water and dry it out over a period of time in rice or some other desiccant.

    - mark
  8. #8  
    wll your pre is inevitably doomed i think, being that u cant really get into every nook and cranny to clean it, i once dropped my old sony erricson w810 I into a glass of wine/sprite mix (lol using the glass as a tripod in my semi drunken state... got a neato picture tho) pulled it out, powered it down, and let it dry out for 3 or 4 days... i was lucky, however with the pre, youve gotta be EXTRA careful dont want any liquid getting between the touch screen and the carbon screen (probly why apps were opening by them selves) your best bet wouldave been to soak it in a shallow bowl with distilled water, distilled because tap water is heavily treated and has things like chlorine flouride and other chemicals which can corrode circuit boards... though i think its too late now
  9.    #9  
    well, the phone kinda sorta worked until i got my new one ... so at least i was able to dial out and receive calls .. do a few other things, the slider was completely stuck from the dried sugar.

    i had them replace the battery at the sprint store as well since insurance doesn't send a battery with a replacement.

    new phone in hand... didn't read that the backup program doesn't work anymore .. grr.. so lost some data with my apps that use sql lite..

Posting Permissions