Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I "analysed" powerd once for my battery investigations. I found one setting not in the default powerd.conf by analyzing the strings in the executable.
    But yes, there are some timing setting in it. I have no clue what they are about.
    Yes. The power of "strings" and "grep". I love unix. i installed lsof and the rtc device is being held by powerd. As powerd restarts is sets the rtc to the network time in UTC format.

Palm is sure using powerd for a lot of stuff. And they have hard coded in settings that should be changeable by config files.
    Just realized I am having the same problem. Anyone have any success in repairing this? The people who completely reloaded their phone did it fix the problem? I have been getting headaches due to battery drain for a while and this is the first time I have actually seen what may be causing it. I think if this issue could get resolved it could do alot of good.
    Palm Pre @800Mhz /WebOS 1.4.5 Uberkernel
    Seidio Innocase /Skinomi Skin

Just did the 30 sec test. Via terminal just got one set of messages:
    System going to sleep now
    System woke up

Looks like my power sucking is coming from elsewhere.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    System woke up

Elsewhere? Looks like you have the same issue.

Anything we can do for you? What are your symptoms?
    Maybe open a new thread or discuss this in a different thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by frankx85 View Post
    Did you at least read the first post?
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    Normally it is just "going to sleep" and then "waking up" once for each time you hit the power button. Now it is "going to sleep" and "waking up" every second for the time it is supposed to be down.
    sorry misread your post

Did you at least read the first post?
    Yes I read all four pages of the thread. In my log is says "Enter Suspend | Leave Suspend" in the same second, but not every second.

9.    #69  
    Yes I read all four pages of the thread. In my log is says "Enter Suspend | Leave Suspend" in the same second, but not every second.
    So did you try the Nodoze idea?
    System woke up

My messages were not repeated. I only got one set. Goes to sleep when I hit the power button and woke up when I hit it again.

I am still very unhappy with my battery life. I have Touchstones at work, home and in the car. For long days away from the TS's I also carry AC and car chargers in my briefcase! I am hoping WebOS 2.0 improves the battery life.
  11.    #71  
    I am still very unhappy with my battery life.
    You can post a profile of your power usage?

Close all your apps, WiFi, Data, GPS, etc. Then use Dr. Battery to get your mAh level. Put the phone to sleep and wait 15 mins. Then check the mAh difference.

Run Nodoze (with screen off) and do the same.

Run Nodoze (with screen forced on) and do the same.

I'd like to see all three of those values at first. They will give you a base of three main power states. From there you can start to add apps back in to the tests and narrow down the list of possible battery eaters.

Edit: One more thing. When you wake your phone up open terminal and type 'uptime'. And post the three number values you get.
    Last edited by arrasmith; 10/28/2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: One more thing ...
    I am still very unhappy with my battery life.
    Or it's the battery like it was for me (55% left). Did you check/calibrate the battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    You can post a profile of your power usage?

Close all your apps, WiFi, Data, GPS, etc. Then use Dr. Battery to get your mAh level. Put the phone to sleep and wait 15 mins. Then check the mAh difference.

Run Nodoze (with screen off) and do the same.

Run Nodoze (with screen forced on) and do the same.

I'd like to see all three of those values at first. They will give you a base of three main power states. From there you can start to add apps back in to the tests and narrow down the list of possible battery eaters.

Edit: One more thing. When you wake your phone up open terminal and type 'uptime'. And post the three number values you get.
    With everything turned off I ran the 3 tests that you suggested

t=0 start = 1022 mah
    15 mins later = 1018 mah
    15 mins later with nodoze and screen off = 1002 mah
    15 mins later with nodoze and screen on = 962 mah

Uptime at the end = 14:15
    Or it's the battery like it was for me (55% left). Did you check/calibrate the battery?
    I have successfully calibrated my battery using Dr. Battery.
  15.    #75  
    With everything turned off I ran the 3 tests that you suggested

t=0 start = 1022 mah
    15 mins later = 1018 mah
    15 mins later with nodoze and screen off = 1002 mah
    15 mins later with nodoze and screen on = 962 mah

Uptime at the end = 14:15
    First a mistake on my part: run the command 'uptime' in the terminal at the end of every test and I should have asked for the three load numbers.

Code:
    root@palm-web-s-device:/# uptime
    16:22:06 up 17:23,  1 user,  load average: 0.52, 0.11, 0.04
    For your results if you continued those three tests with a battery at 1022 mAh until the battery died you would get runtimes of about ...

test1 - 60 hours with your Pre just sleeping.
    test2 - 15 hours with your Pre awake, doing nothing, and screen off.
    test3 - 6 hours with your Pre awake, doing nothing, and screen on.

... which are all good values for a "doing nothing" Pre from my experience (we have four in the family). So, you calibrated your battery, have a good battery (1000 mAh is good), and when your phone is doing nothing it is draining at rates it should. I'm leaning towards your phone being OK.

Which means that if your phone is dying during the day it is most likely an app/feature causing the problem. To start to track it down you need to add back in features (Data, WiFi, etc) and then the apps (Mail, etc) you always use one at a time into the tests.

What is your typical day for use like?

For people like me (bad sleep state bug) the run times would be more like ...

test1 - 5 hours with your Pre just sleeping.
    test2 - 15 hours with your Pre awake, doing nothing, and screen off.
    test3 - 6 hours with your Pre awake, doing nothing, and screen on.
    ... which is why I have to use Nodoze to keep it awake.
    Sorry for the major bump but I am having the exact same problem as you arrasmith.

I get a million system going to sleep, system waking up messages in terminal.

My interrupt percentages in powertop are nearly identical.

Did you ever find a solution, other than a NoDoze bandaid?

EDIT: I uninstalled KeyBoss and the problem seems to have gone away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JayhawkOne; 06/11/2011 at 05:07 PM.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    I don't have Keyboss, but sometimes, and I stress sometimes, my Pre has large large load averages when the screen is off, but for instance the next day at the same voltage it will be perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem on a Pre 2. Has anyone found a solution other than Nodoze?
    I know this thread is kind of old. But we have an other proof of this phenomena http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...st3025555.html
    Apparently my new wireless router was doing something that kept the phone from sleeping. Going into the the wifi preferences and telling it to drop wifi on sleep fixed the problem.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234