Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

yesterday i installed a couple of updates in preware. While the Update-progress my phone restarted itself and now is stuck in a boot loop.

The palm logo appears for some seconds, then dissapears and, again, appears and so on.

I downloaded the newest Version of WebOs doctor (links to older Versions are down) and tried to fix the problem that way.

Started phone in USB-Mode, started WebOs Doctor and it began its magic, but then at 8% progress, the palm logo appears on my phone, I am stuck in the exactly same loop as described above and webOs doctor says my phone was disconnected.

I thought that it has something todo with my 64 bit Win 7 machine, but another try on Ubuntu i386 ended with the same problems.

So, anyone any Idea how I can recover my phone now? I just started to be really really in love with my little palm device in here!

Thank you
    These steps should help you http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2585459

Recovery: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

How to memboot after finding out your Pre wears pink underwear:
    Download: http://unixpsycho.com/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430

Put your Pre into recovery mode.

Run novacom:
    Linux:

Code:
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430Windows:

Code:
    cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Look up webos 'recovery mode'. What kind of updates are you talking about? You must have being messing with some kernels. In the future, before you install a kernel, make sure you first install the Palm recovery kernel.
  4.    #4  
    First thank you very much.

I am trying out the solution atm.

Yes there was an update for Uberkernel. Think that here something went wrong.

I will post if the solution worked.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    These steps should help you http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2585459

Recovery: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

How to memboot after finding out your Pre wears pink underwear:
    Download: http://unixpsycho.com/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430

Put your Pre into recovery mode.

Run novacom:
    Linux:

Code:
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430Windows:

Code:
    cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Thank you for your help. But I am still stuck in the same situation.

I booted device in recovery mode, then used novacom to boot.
    The Palm logo appears for approx. 20 seconds, windows recognizes some device (I can just hear it) then the device disconnects, the palm logo dissapears and the same loop starts again.
    ...also delete and re-download a new version of webos doctor. Read this and try this trouble-shooting process: Palm - webOS Doctor - FAQs. Read carefully and you'll know what to do.

good luck.~
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    If all the above doesn't work > try this > Sign back into your palm profile > Use a dummy profile(i.e. any username/password.) restart the doctor process, and you should be good to go.

cheers.~
    Hello,

maybe I am to noobish, but how can I sign up to my palm profile if the device doesn't boot?
    You're saying it won't come on at all. Try leaving plug up to the charger. I was trying to have you fix the webos doctor process.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    You're saying it won't come on at all. Try leaving plug up to the charger. I was trying to have you fix the webos doctor process.

Yes no more as recovery mode and about 20 seconds a static palm logo.
    I think there something seriously broken with the kernel.

Hope someone can guide me through here.

Thank you all very much
    If that's the case...return the device for a replacement. Unless someone has any idea on how to make the bootup process work. Which I doubt.

Note:The phone is obviously defective, so it should be replace.
  11.    #11  
    So, I hope that someone here comes up and has an idea
    I had the same thing happen to my Pre a few months ago. I had to take it Sprint...they gave me a new one free of charge since I have the Insurance.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    I had the same thing happen to my Pre a few months ago. I had to take it Sprint...they gave me a new one free of charge since I have the Insurance.
    Sadly there isn't such a service by O2 Germany. I think its time to throw the device into trash

So a little push here again if someone has any idea to recover a palm phone that wouldn't boot anymore.
  14.    #14  
    So,

no more ideas here?
  15.    #15  
    So just for the future...

I should install the recovery kernel besides uberkernel and than i am really baked?

Is there some literature about?
    You're in Germany? Feel free to ship the Pre to me, and I'll see what I can do.
    I've brought a few Pres back from the dead. No guarantee, but no cost besides shipping.
  17.    #17  
    Yes I am. First thank you very much.

Just today I sent it to Uk...
    Think they will see that a third party app caused the problem and than it will move forwards to the shredder

If not I will call you again.

Thanx very much for all your help here.

Big thumps up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid1986Snake View Post
    Yes I am. First thank you very much.

Just today I sent it to Uk...
    Think they will see that a third party app caused the problem and than it will move forwards to the shredder

If not I will call you again.

Thanx very much for all your help here.

Big thumps up!
    Oh cool. They'll repair it just fine probably.
    Hope it's still within warranty.
  19.    #19  
    It's in warranty,

but there homepage they write that you have to pay for repair services out of warranty conditions.

By prices at approx. 120 Euros for a newer phone this is not worth a thought about it

But I need to say that I never had a service like that.

I called palm, got an email and 2 hours later my phone was on its way to UK and will be back within 7 days if it is repaired under warranty. Very cool!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    To the OP -

Did you ever get your Pre past the infinite reboot loop? Mine is doing the EXACT same thing you have described.

I have tried using webOS Doctor on three different PCs (one Win7, two WinXP), and every time it's the same story - Doctor gets to 8% (ultimately) but once it hits 4% the USB disconnect / connect sounds start.

I've tried everything I can think of and have researched this extensively - seems like the only way out has been people getting a new phone. Unfortunately mine is out of warranty (past the 1-year mark) and I don't have the insurance, so it sounds like I'm basically screwed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast