Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    hi fritzk3,

sorry, I found no solution, but thanx to palm they reflashed the phone on warranty...

Can't help you, sorry...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I took mine to the Sprint Repair Center near me - they said that they couldn't even reflash it. However, they'll be issuing me a new Pre 2 days from now at no cost, so that helps. It's just too bad that I'll lose the photos I had on my existing Pre. Guess that'll teach me to back those up in the future.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I had this happen to me as well - during patching the Pre dcided to get into a boot loop. I knew it was patch specific so I attached the phone to computer while it was 'off'. I booted up WebOS quick install, and turned the phone on. The phone actually gets recognized by WOQI far before it actually shows you the home screen - so all I did was open the tweaks page (getting the 'please connect device' error) and click 'retry' over and over again while the phone was rebooting.

Eventually I got WOQI to recognize the phone and give the tweaks page (without options greyed out) - and I clicked EPR. WOQI got it's EPR on but didn't finish it before the Pre rebooted again.

However, this time after the reboot, I got to the home screen (it was totally messed up though, no app icons, the top bar was grayed out etc.... but it was out of the boot loop.

I doctored again and it was fine.
    First put the device into recovery mode, then memboot the device using the installer uImage (extracted from your webOS Doctor jar and copied into the SDK bin folder):

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin
    novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

After it boots, run novaterm:

novaterm

Once connected to the device, type:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

then type:

mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Once that completes, put the device back into recovery mode and run the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    tinger#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    First put the device into recovery mode, then memboot the device using the installer uImage (extracted from your webOS Doctor jar and copied into the SDK bin folder):

novaterm

then type:

Once that completes, put the device back into recovery mode and run the webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    You're Batman! Wish I'd had this info in July when my launch day Pre baked, lol! The Sprint store replaced the motherboard but in the process I gained a crack at the USB port that now extends onto the screen, a broken USB door, Oreo effect, and another crack coming off the first crack mentioned that looks like I will soon lose a triangular shape piece around the USB area...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

novaterm

then type:

-- Rod
    I wonder if I might revive this thread as I'm having the same problem...

I followed the above instructions and everything seemed to work fine until the last command: mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

When I type that I get the following message: unable to get drive geometry, using default 4/16 and then nothing appears to happen. My Pre seems to shut down. So I remove it, put it in recovery mode and try to doctor it. Then, as before, the doctor reaches about 4% and the phone goes into endless reboot again and doctor says the phone is disconnected. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Don
    Last edited by lumens; 05/21/2011 at 01:04 PM.
    I suspect you have a hardware problem.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    In other words, it's hosed? I've grown very attached to it. Oh well, I've learned a lot and I guess I'll wait for a Pre 3. Thanks for the help anyway.
    Weird, there's a guy at PoderPDA with a similar problem. We tried to fix it, but his Pre reboots itself the moment we try to recreate the media partition with mkdosfs. We also couldn't delete the partition to recreate it again, it rebooted as well. No indication of errors on the terminal.

In the end he called Palm UK (his Plus is from O2), and he'll be shipping it for repair.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Unfortunately I bought mine used on eBay, so no warranty. I'm still searching around to see if anybody with a similar problem has a fix, but I don't have much hope. Not worth buying another one with "Summer" just around the corner.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have the same problem with Pre2 after install kernel anh restart. I dont know how to recovery it
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

novaterm

then type:

-- Rod
    Nova-installer-image-castle.uImage runs and I feel the Palm "spinning". The command comes back to C:/adminblahblahblah then the palm leaves USB mode back to the palm screen. The novaterm comes back with unknown command. Am I going back into recovery mode and CD hpwebosblahblahblah, then typing Novaterm? Sorry to ask but I need someone to lay it out in a VERY simple manner.
    I am having a problem with my palm pre where the doctor stops at 8% so i looked on why it stopped at 8% it said a corrupt usb drive and the way it seems is that in order to fix it the phone has to boot up and thats one thing it wont do since it goes right into a boot loop even after i memboot it so im out of options i like the phone and the homebrew community but i dont know if its done and out or can be fixed please help me
    Help!

Having the same exact problem as those above with my wife's Verizon Pre 2. memboot seems to be just a step above what I am capable of.

I know that usb, etc is fine because I had no problem doctoring my Verizon Pre Plus (phone offline.....whole other story - doctoring didn't work and memboot is also suggested for that).

Biggest problem is that my wife already called and received a replacement Pre 2. Trying to recover some photos, etc for her and she has to return it by tomorrow.

I am tired of buying a brand new phone from VZW...having issues and getting refurbished pieces of crap from them that just have their own problems.

Out of options on Pre 2... but would still like to be able to memboot and flash my Pre Plus....need to understand in laymen's terms.

I'll try plugging away at the webos-internals directions. If these things are able to be done, why can't VZW or HP/Palm do them....they just want to replace, replace, replace.

Sorry for the rant....very frustrated. Ready for ICS
    This may be a bit dated of a topic, but I had the same issue. I can say leaving it plugged in over night ended up with it booting the next day. Sadly, it did it not a day or two later again, so my best suggestion is if you get it to turn on, get what you need off it and go replace it. Sucks, but the flash must be going out, as it only happened after I deleted a fair amount of data off of it.

Anyway, good luck.

Alek
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12